Recommend me gloves for the winter

JANANI

Visit site
Since last year I have suffered from Raynards syndrome which means that my hands can't get cold during the winter otherwise they go severly numb.

Last year I used two pairs of gloves during the really cold days which didn't keep my hands overally warm. Can anyone recommend me a really good pair of thermal gloves for riding and yard work and where I can get them. Unfortunately my local saddlerys do not hold a good selection of gloves.

Many thanks

JANA

111ex111

Visit site
seal skins? never had them but heard good things. Just ordered some showa gloves which arnt for warmth but you could wear some thermal gloves under them then them on top :)
I would look at hiking shops and that sort of thing

Myloubylou

Visit site
Thinsulate fingerless gloves for yard work although only tips of fingers are uncovered. Sealskins for riding, got me through horrible cold and wet weather.

Domirati

Visit site
I've had Raynards since I was 11 (now 49)'. The only thing that has worked for me are the sealskinz waterproof thick riding gloves. Expensive but mine are at least. 6 years old. Very comfortable to ride in as well. Don't forget your feet as well as Reynards gets your toes as well! The little hand warmers can be useful as well.

Palisan

Visit site
Hi I have similar problem - have even had to get heated gloves for skiing but they are not flexible enough for riding. I use Sealskinz winter gloves & when very cold some icebreaker Marino wool glove liners inside and have found them very good. They seem a bit thick at first but I have no problem riding in them. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Another vote for sealskinz, their hi-viz riding gloves are wonderful. Sister and I bought each other a pair last christmas and think they are very good.

nicnag

Visit site
I have pretty awful Reynolds and can't risk through cold getting to me. Sealskinz are the best ever! I was given a pair of battery gloves but they made me worse. I am very protective of my Sealskinz though!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm afraid I'm going against the grain. My sealskins are rubbish (I also have Raynauds). My fingers are cold at this time of year in them. In the winter they'll be utterly useless. I bought them last winter and they're worn on the palms. I should add that I'm a leisure rider with two ponies, one ridden (hacking 3-4 times a week), so hardly strenuous use!

Agree the fingers are stupidly short. I struggle to find fitting gloves BECAUSE my fingers are short, so for them to be too short for me they must be ultra short! The large were much too large and I couldn't get inside the small, so medium it was. I'm a size 6-7 glove, usually. The cuffs also don't go far back enough, so cut into my hands.

I guess it's horses for course, but I would definitely try them on thoroughly before you buy.

For riding and yardwork in the winter I use ski gloves. Bulky, but necessary. Nothing else has ever worked for me.

Oh and a shot of Grand Marnier on arrival home if the syndrome takes hold whilst I'm out and about - otherwise I can't shower, as my feet and hands are in too much pain!

Laura_107

Visit site
I also hated sealskinz! I love my Mark Todd Thinsulate winter gloves, just bought a new pair as I seem to have misplaced my old ones over summer.

soulfull

Visit site
Another vote for sealskinz. But be aware there are two women's. One is extra winter or something like that. The normal ones do not keep me warm enough when it really gets cold

MrsHutt

Visit site
Sorry to hijack your question a bit - but I wonder if anyone has tried the Mountain Horse Performance gloves? Looking in the tack shop the other day, they seemed the warmest yet most flexible. They weren't cheap, but I'd be willing to pay almost anything for warm hands! ;)

JANANI

Visit site
Thanks everyone. You have all been very helpful. I am going to look on the internet for these gloves. Unfortunately my local shops only stock shires light leather ones and majic gloves. I rode in majic gloves tonight but if it gets any colder I will need warmer gloves.

FranSurrey the Grand Marnier sounds like a good idea ;)

JANA

Last edited:

Keenjean

Visit site
Get roeckl polar tech gloves! They are amazingly warm. I work in a (v.cold) tack shop so have tried on seal skins, mark Todd, ariat etc and these are by far the warmest and are a very comfy fit. I find them great to ride in and do yard work and last year they kept my hands toasty warm all winter. Lots of customers have said how wonderful they are too.

Sophstar

Visit site
I have horrific circulation and my hands are the first to turn blue and black:rolleyes: Luckily, I use the gloves that are given to the staff who work in the chillers and freezers at work which are also mostly waterproof and when it's super chilly, they are thin enough for me to comfortably put on another pair of gloves on top. I have always found the thick, chunky gloves that you can strangely find in Poundland to be the warmest! I wore them both this morning, and had to take it all off as my hands were frying after poo picking:D