recommend me some trimmers

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Hi all, looking to buy some trimmers to keep my horses feathers trimmed. Nothing too pricey but they need to be quiet and cordless. Any recommendations would be appreciated as I've never bought any type of clippers before. Thank you.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Decent cordless trimmers are quite expensive, the cheap ones are a waste of time as they don't have a powerful enough motor to do the job. Although I have both mains & cordless trimmers we normally use a comb & scissors to trim the small amount of feather ours have. It gives a more natural result. :)

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I have the masterclip ones and find them great for trimming although horses dont have masses of feather so dont know how well they would get through really thick hair

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Thank you. mudmonkey17 I will have a look at the masterclip ones as the plan is to not let the hair get too thick anyway.

Toby_Zaphod thanks for the reply - I really want to be able to get the hair quite short so I don't think a scissor job will do. I should add that I want the hair short for veterinary purposes not for vanity reasons. He came to me with mites which I took a long time sorting out but it led to a secondary bacterial infection which has been horrid for him and has only just cleared up. Poor sod had no turnout for about 2 months. I needs to see what is going on in there!! :)

Last edited:

Capriole

Visit site
I really like my Wolsley Skylark. I had them recommended to me and I find myself going on to recommend them to others in turn.

Cordless, chargeable, have enough oomph to do everything I've asked of them (disclaimer, I don't have massively hairy heavily feathered horses, I just have lots of horses that need *some* trimming). They do come with combs but probably for your purpose that's irrelevant, but they do have the option without the combs to make the clip really quite short by adjusting the blade length dial on the clippers.