Recommendation for fly masks

muddybay

Visit site
What brands do the best fly masks I like the shires ones but not sure!
Also, should I automatically put my horse in a mask/rug or should I wait it's my first summer with him.
It's -9 degrees tonight so I'm getting in early with all my summer stuff!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
With snow outside I’m trying not to think about flies.

The need for a fly mask and rug with depend on the horse and the land they’re kept on. We have some water nearby so a lot of flies. I regularly use a fly mask, but try to use fly spray rather than a rug. I just think if I were a horse I’d rather not be rugged all the time.

My choice of fly mask is le mieux. I try to have a few different makes to minimise rubbing. For rugs I have Rambo bug rugs.

There were a few reports suggest the zebra ones work well last year.

DressageCob

Visit site
I like the Harrison Howard fly masks which I bought off eBay. Cheap but excellent fits. The LeMieux ones are great too, although they rub one of my horses so I don't tend to use them now. I have a couple of PE ones which I like.

DressageCob

Visit site
I respect of your other question, it depends on the weather, the flies and the horse. As soon as the weather gets dry one of mine goes out in a fly mask, but that's because he has lost an eye and I'm super protective of the remaining one. The other horse just wears a mask when it's warm weather and those irritating little black fruit flies are out in force, because I hate seeing them gathering around his eyes. I'm a bit protective of his eyes too ?

Some horses find masks irritating and take them off. I'd sooner not use one in those circumstances, as that can cause more harm.

Pippity

Visit site
I like the Harrison Howard fly masks which I bought off eBay. Cheap but excellent fits. The LeMieux ones are great too, although they rub one of my horses so I don't tend to use them now. I have a couple of PE ones which I like.

Seconding the Harrison Howard ones. They're the only ones my horse doesn't remove.

The midges seem to really like her ears, so I always go for ones with ear covers.

Squeak

Visit site
I really rate the Rambo 'beekeeper' ones as my gelding wont keep any others on. It looks like Harrison Howard do a version of the Rambo so maybe I'll give that a go next time.

In terms of when to use one - you'll know when you need it. They'll get covered in flies and you'll see them out swishing their tales and getting frustrated. I agree with the others that I wouldn't use a mask or fly rug unless it's needed and that can be very dependent on location. Are you on a yard that you can ask some of the others what the flies are like in the summer?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only buy cashel now they fit perfectly and don't rub at all, I find Arab heads are difficult to find a good fit most are too tight accross the head, I tried the Harrison howard one but it fit either of my horses.

muddybay

Visit site
I really rate the Rambo 'beekeeper' ones as my gelding wont keep any others on. It looks like Harrison Howard do a version of the Rambo so maybe I'll give that a go next time.

In terms of when to use one - you'll know when you need it. They'll get covered in flies and you'll see them out swishing their tales and getting frustrated. I agree with the others that I wouldn't use a mask or fly rug unless it's needed and that can be very dependent on location. Are you on a yard that you can ask some of the others what the flies are like in the summer?
I've been at the yard for a few years but this is the first year with my own. The flies are nasty as it gets very dry and sandy!

jnb

Visit site
I try not to use either fly masks or rugs as on big cobs, I have never found a fly rug that doesn't either rub, or make them sweat (or some, both!) - the only one that fits my cob is the Snuggy Bug body but is far too hot to leave on in 25c plus.

I very occasionally use the Premier Equine fly mask (with an extension sewed on to the velcro - pet hate is fly masks velcroed so tight the horse can't eat and the mesh is right on their eyelashes, seen a horrific ulcer on a horse's eye from that - not mine i hasten to add!)

I know I am lucky that I have a lovely open sided shady shelter that my cobs uses more in summer than winter (although he sleeps in it a LOT!) which I know not everyone is lucky enough to have.

wiglet

Visit site
I use the Equilibrium fly masks. My horse is a diva and suffers rubs easily, the Equilibrium ones are nicely padded on the nose and the browband area and they're roomy over the eyes so nothing touches and nothing rubs. May also be worth mentioning that she will only wear the grey version - for some reason she always pulls the black ones off. Princess ;)

Julia0803

Visit site
I found with my cob, who seems to have a funny shaped head, that the Rambo beekeeper ones were the best. I found with others (including Rambo non beekeeper) they weren't wide enough across the eyes, so sat too close for my liking... if they had enough space round the eyes then they were too big lower down the face and left big gaps for flies to crawl up and get trapped inside the mask.

Britestar

Visit site
I use equivisor, imported from USA. One of mine wears hers 365 days a year because of uvetitis. She lost it a couple of days ago, and last night had a flare up, due to reflection of the snow.
Dug out a spare this morning.

9tails

Visit site
I use full face masks for sun protection on the pink muzzle mainly. My horse has larger than normal ears and I've found that Shires give enough ear room so that the mask fits correctly. PE was good too and I particularly liked the hole for forelock. Lemieux, Howard Harrison, KM Elite ears were too small so the mask hovered an inch too high and the eye darts were in the wrong place.

I recommended Shires to another livery whose horse had particularly small ears and it looked like a Joker's hat on him. Something to consider if you don't want to fall about laughing every time you look at your horse in its fly mask.

Pippity

Visit site
I use full face masks for sun protection on the pink muzzle mainly. My horse has larger than normal ears and I've found that Shires give enough ear room so that the mask fits correctly. PE was good too and I particularly liked the hole for forelock. Lemieux, Howard Harrison, KM Elite ears were too small so the mask hovered an inch too high and the eye darts were in the wrong place.

I recommended Shires to another livery whose horse had particularly small ears and it looked like a Joker's hat on him. Something to consider if you don't want to fall about laughing every time you look at your horse in its fly mask.

I had the opposite problem! The Shires wasn't big enough for her ears and the Howard Harrison fit perfectly.