Recommendations for a bit of *sparkle*

Kub

Visit site
My boy is a very well behaved, docile 3 year old. He's manners at shows have been brilliant and he is very calm and easy to handle. So calm that he almost falls asleep in the ring...!

I'm just wondering if there's anything I could feed him either in his normal feed in the morning/night before or a treat or something that would wake him up a bit? Not so much that he becomes a handful but just so he's alert and perky and shows off a bit?

I know I may be asking for trouble lol but it's quite hard trying to get a his bog cob head to be held high and not slowly droop as he falls asleep! And get him look interested and alert, ears forward and looking gorgeous hehe!

Thanks peeps :)

tinkandlily

Visit site
You could try putting oil in his feed, this worked with mine, he was a tb so i didn't need much energy but just enough to put a spring in his step, plus a shiny coat!

Kub

Visit site
Ooo I'll try the carrots idea, could be a good start :)

tinkandlily - he's currently on alpha a oil and that doesn't really make a difference to his step lol, gorgeous coat though :D

Benpony - maybe if we wring him out really gently.... :D

martlin - I'll take a look into those, thanks :)

scrat

Visit site
I think you should count your blessings that he is such a well mannered boy for you in the ring. I'm not sure feeding him anything will make that much difference. You could try a box of minty tictacs in your pocket which may get his head up and ears forward if you shake it a bit. The same works with a polo wrapper in the pocket. You could pick a bit of grass to keep his head up. It is hard somtimes to keep laid back coblets intrested but he's also a baby and probably finds it all very tireing and would sooner have a nap! Good luck anyway he's a lovely boy.

Kub

Visit site
Thanks scrat, I'm kinda thinking that too, I should count my blessing that he doesn't play up lol. Tictacs are a good idea! Am I allowed to use them when just standing in the line up? Grass doesn't tend to do anything, once maybe, second time, he's use to it lol. I use a plastic wrapper when I'm doing his individual show to get him looking perky and attentive, it's just in the line up really when he starts drooping, bless him :)

scrat

Visit site
While in the line up it can be hard to keep them awake especially if its a large class on a hot day! Just keep an eye on the judge and if she is looking your way thats the time to ask coblet to pay attention and look his best. The tic tac / wrappers are ok but practice standing him up correctly too by pushing him back / forward slightly, just keeping him a little busy may help. Yould could offer the accasional tit bit but be careful as you don't want him to start nipping.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Sounds like you have a well behaved gypsy cob - they aint' meant to be heads up, flashing along, eyes on stalks and on their toes.

Stinky at that age was the same, well mannered and very laid back, total pleasure to take out. A few judges said he could do with more sparkle, but those that knew the breed said what a good temperment he had, especially in a youngstock class where the rest exploded due to a noise outside and he stood beside him perfectly calmly.

As he has got older he has got more sparkle, I have worked on his walk and trot, plus being under the saddle has got him more estalished and he now really walks and trots out. To be honest, he is far better under saddle and this is what I do most of now he is older.

What I do for a bit more go is to give him a bit more speedibeet and linseed for a day or two before a show but I have to be careful a bit too much makes him a little jumpy (due to the tiny bit of quality blood he has) but get it right and he really struts his stuff. I also try not to do too much inhand showing or practise too much now he knows what to do, as he does find it boring it he does more than one class in a day. To get his attention and ears up, I chirp at him and also will give him a couple of tiny taps behind the girth area on the go round when I come in to get him think forward, just as I would do if riding.

As he gets older and fitter you will see a change, but basically you can't change the temperament - he is what he is, steady and brave that is the breed and he will never be a flashy welsh type or TB going round.

Kub

Visit site
Thanks scrat, all good ideas :)

Theresa - yeah, I know he won't be all flashy and on his toes, that's totally fine and just the way I want him hehe! Just thinking if he'd maybe not fall asleep when standing in the line lol. Tbh, I don't really mind because he is so well behaved and stood there solid whilst a colt and filly had a spaz out next time him, which I was very pleased about. He seems to wake up when walking, trotting and stuff which is fab, just thought I may get marked down for the sleepy cob hehe!

Splish & Masons mum

Visit site
When I took Mason to his first show as a 4 year old I was a bit unsure about how he would behave, but he did the same as Harry (they actually look quite similar as well!) - just stood there and fell asleep, but plodded round like a donkey for his trot up, the judge said she thought he was lovely, but just needed a bit of "sparkle".
To be honest, I was happy with "donkey" for a first time out! Sparkle we can work on!
I have had the tic tac strategy suggested, but I would like him to stand still in the line up, and I'm not sure he would if I got him used to the tic tacs! I'm going to give it go the next time we go out.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Enjoy him as he is and when the judge is looking, just wake him up with a gentle poke on the side or a chirp when in the line up. As long as he is standing nicely and not with his head right down and asleep he will be fine. Better to be stood quietly than wriggling anyday.

As walks and trots etc when asked you are fine. Stinky would sometimes be a bit slow on walking out, hence the bit of speedibeet so he comes in with a strutt rather than a shuffle to his walk.

ilovecobs

Visit site
My boy is a very well behaved, docile 3 year old. He's manners at shows have been brilliant and he is very calm and easy to handle. So calm that he almost falls asleep in the ring...!

I'm just wondering if there's anything I could feed him either in his normal feed in the morning/night before or a treat or something that would wake him up a bit? Not so much that he becomes a handful but just so he's alert and perky and shows off a bit?

I know I may be asking for trouble lol but it's quite hard trying to get a his bog cob head to be held high and not slowly droop as he falls asleep! And get him look interested and alert, ears forward and looking gorgeous hehe!

Thanks peeps :)

Some horses just show off on their own accord when at a show, my mare just goes through the motions inhand but in ridden classes she is compleatly the opposite, loves everyone watching and clapping and you may find the same thing that your horse just has a natural love for ridden showing when it comes to it. (I only do about 2 inhand classes a year now as it can be quite embarasing compared to ridden cob lol!)

Kub

Visit site
Thanks ilovecobs, I do hope so hehe! He's so laid back and calm that I do wonder if I'll get any propulsion out of him when he starts to be ridden next year lol. On the other hand, I think he's going to like being worked so we'll see...

Did see him actually gallop the other day though, that was quite an awesome site!! Driving back through the field and once he'd worked out it was me in the car, he cantered along side, got a bit faster and then totally whacked it up a gear and was flying!! Was very impressive hehe :D

Sparkles

Visit site
You can get a quick 'pick-me-up' which is similar, but obviously just the opposite, of the nupafeed calmers. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head....I've got a spare one up the yard I think so I'll check the name. Just an enegy bost. You give it 4 hours before you're class, and then a small dose about 40 minutes before your class again :)

For feed....Top Spec Turbo and Tiger oats helped our cob and one of the ones who needs 'sparkle' when he goes SJ. Just added it to their feeds as when they needed it before they were due out anywhere and it just gave them an energy boost :)