Recommendations for dry food?

MileAMinute

Visit site
Hi all, was wondering if I could pick brains on here regarding dry complete food.

My dog is an 18 month old beagle. I rehomed him last year from a family who fed him Harringtons complete. I've kept him on that for ease really as it's what he's always had, but he's becoming more and more disinterested in it.
He's in good nick for his breed in regards to weight. He's put on a little as I haven't been able to walk him as far due to pregnancy, but he does go to doggy day care 3x a week and uses a lot of energy there which is helping to maintain him.

Was having a look at the James Well Beloved range.

Not interested in pursuing the raw diet or anything like that at the moment, dry food only please :)

{97702}

Visit site
My greyhounds all looked OK on Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice, probably one of the few dry foods I would feed if I had to...

Mind you after getting an £190 monthly food bill today, there are definite advantages I can see :D :D

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I too found Skinners Duck & Rice good and reasonably priced. If you are okay to pay a bit more, I reared a litter of pups on Fish4Dogs and found it excellent.

Shady

Visit site
iv'e been feeding both mine JWB for 4 years ( turkey & rice) they look amazing but do get alot of exercise , i used to feed all my cats on JWB too but they got a little fat! it is the only one i've tried that agrees with one of mines dodgy tummy

madmav

Visit site
Just a thought, which I've done for my aged dog, have you considered combining dry food with a little boiled water to soak and a little chicken to make it more appetising? Has worked a treat for him and his dodgy tummy.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
See the dry food sticky! ^^ I like the Wainwright's Fishmongers, more fish content than Fish4dogs, darn sight cheaper. If you want high end, look at Acana or Orijen.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Thanks guys :) a few different brands to do some research on! Price isn't an issue, just want something he'll enjoy but that equally isn't just filled with rubbish.

Madmav, I have tried using warm water and have added things like chicken, but he'll just eat around the biscuits, clever sod!

Cahill

Visit site
skinners duck+rice,I pay about £24 for a big bag which last my 42kg and 17kg boys over a month.
I have found they do need less than the guidelines on the bag.
they also have sardines a few times a week mixed in.(34p asda)

I think they look well and shiney, we do agility class and a bit of training at home and at least 1hr walks,longer at w.ends.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine are on acana Pacifica, until I can convince OH that feeding raw won't kill them...it's a slow journey.

I've been there! Moved them off Pedigree puppy the breeder fed them then onto Orijen while I waited for the OH to realise that other dogs ate raw and DIDNT DIE!! Took a while, but so worth it. Could you introduce some of the Pets at Home non-scary frozen blocks, sort of a nice transition without the bones? Or just some lovely mince? That's not scary!

Last edited:

PingPongPony

Visit site
I feed my mini poodles Orijen, both look great, lots of energy, they both love the food, the old dog is very very fussy and she tucks in straight away, clears her bowl.
It's expensive but you don't actually feed a lot of it, it takes a while to get used to the amount, you think it's too little but trust me, it isn't :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I feed my mini poodles Orijen, both look great, lots of energy, they both love the food, the old dog is very very fussy and she tucks in straight away, clears her bowl.
It's expensive but you don't actually feed a lot of it, it takes a while to get used to the amount, you think it's too little but trust me, it isn't :)

PPP, which one do you feed?

Dizzle

Visit site
My Border Terrier turned his nose up at Orijen as a puppy, the only thing he liked was Wainwright's Turkey and Rice, he has just moved onto Wainwrights Grain Free Lamb as it has a slightly higher meat content, it's cheap to feed and he likes it :)

amy_b

Visit site
I recently found 'Shadow' grain free dog food and tried my lurcher on it, who typically doesn't eat much and burns at a high rate so needs a high meat content, she loves it, eats more than ever and my mum has switched her whippet to it who is even worse and they are both carrying a good amount of weight.

I don't know how easy it is to get hold of, I have just found it online but I am lucky that my local pet shop sells it. Also have fed Hill's Science Plan's advanced Fitness with success but Shadow has a higher meat content and is cheaper.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I've been there! Moved them off Pedigree puppy the breeder fed them then onto Orijen while I waited for the OH to realise that other dogs ate raw and DIDNT DIE!! Took a while, but so worth it. Could you introduce some of the Pets at Home non-scary frozen blocks, sort of a nice transition without the bones? Or just some lovely mince? That's not scary!

I don't actually think it's the bones which are scaring him, more that he thinks they will have really smelly poo/breath and also that it will cost a fortune. Like I say - slow progress but I will get there one day. (I wonder if he knows how expensive Acana is...?)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I don't actually think it's the bones which are scaring him, more that he thinks they will have really smelly poo/breath and also that it will cost a fortune. Like I say - slow progress but I will get there one day. (I wonder if he knows how expensive Acana is...?)

That couldn't be further from the truth with raw which I am sure you know, they don't have smelly breath or poo and it is cheaper than commercial. I feed 3 dogs one lab size, one saluki size and one parson's russell size who all have good appetites for approx 11 -12 quid per week total. Get him to do some research and he will see raw is better all round for dogs and for your pocket as bonus is VERY few vets bills. Haven't had any of mine to the vets in a few years now.
I use landywoods, just google it and have a read.

CAYLA

Visit site
Another skinners duck and rice feeder. Either I'm lucky or feeding a good diet keeps all mine healthy as although I pay pennies for any vet treatment. None of mine rarely need it and all seem to live forever even my large breeds.