Recommendations for feeding for energy

andytiger

Visit site
Hi There looking for some recommendation for feeding my horse to give him more instant energy
At the minute he is on a balancer and alfalfa. I have been giving him top spec turbo this gives him fantastic energy but it makes him very irritable and upsets his tummy I increase it before competitions and then cut it right down after
He is fantastic at competitions but if you want to go for a nice relaxing hack at home you have no chance
Can anyone surgest any feed that will give him instant energy but be a bit gentle on his stomach
There are so many different types of feed out there it's like a mine field so any recommendations I would greatly appreciate

nikkimariet

Visit site
A handful of flaked maize? And increase his stamina through training.

I really question the ethic of feeding your horse a mix that you know causes him discomfort. A sudden flux of mix probably doesn't help the situation either, horses diets need to be consistent.

Shay

Visit site
Improved fitness is the only way to really improve energy. How often is he worked normally?

Adding anything only before competition is not going to help the horse's health long term - no matter what it does in the short term. The best bet is to get him really fit and then feed him according to workload and body type with minimal changes. The most I will do before major shows is adjust the proportions of feed to counter the increased energy requirements.

andytiger

Visit site
A handful of flaked maize? And increase his stamina through training.

I really question the ethic of feeding your horse a mix that you know causes him discomfort. A sudden flux of mix probably doesn't help the situation either, horses diets need to be consistent.

I didn't intentionally give him feed to give him feed to make him uncomfortable how did I know until I've tried it

I know it's upsetting his stomach that's why I was looking for advice not criticism

I was told to feed topspec turbo in that way from the feeding expert at topspec to feed in small Amounts
then increase when I needed more energy
Ft

Shay

Visit site
I think they meant you to feed it constantly in small amounts then increase it for competition - not to only feed it just before competition. But either way it clearly doesn't suit him so you need to find an alternative. (Which is why you are asking of course...!)

Can you tell us more about him? What type is he? What age and weight? And what sort of work does he do normally?

wild at hoof

Visit site
Improved fitness is the only way to really improve energy. How often is he worked normally?

Adding anything only before competition is not going to help the horse's health long term - no matter what it does in the short term. The best bet is to get him really fit and then feed him according to workload and body type with minimal changes. The most I will do before major shows is adjust the proportions of feed to counter the increased energy requirements.

This is exactly right ... if you feed high energy its like eating a mars bar before running up some stairs - it will work but you will probably damage yourself ... however if you regulary run up small flights of stairs your fitness will improve.

That being said extra protein is a good idea - such as copra ... but always stick to low sugar and low starch ... alfa is good for protein but doesnt agree with some horses,

Some people also use germinating oats :)

andytiger

Visit site
I think they meant you to feed it constantly in small amounts then increase it for competition - not to only feed it just before competition. But either way it clearly doesn't suit him so you need to find an alternative. (Which is why you are asking of course...!)

Can you tell us more about him? What type is he? What age and weight? And what sort of work does he do normally?

Hi thank you for your reply he's a 17.2 Irish he's in medium work ridden 6 days out of 7 with a mixture of schooling hacking I try and jump once a week and try and do a day of fast work out hacking weather and ground permitting
We compete BD/BE 80 about once a month
He's a good doer but can be a tad lazy hence the reason I need some thing with a bit more energy
He currently has a balancer and Alfa a no hard feed hence the reason for trying topspec turbo but as I said his energy levels are good but it gives him a upset stomach thank you

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I second the oats and a friend used Allen and page power and performance on a old pony that needed some more energy and it did work without making him silly.