Recommendations for gastric ulcer supplement?

My bambinos

Visit site
My horse has suspected gastric ulcers :(

I haven't had him scoped yet and I know if he has them I will need to get Gastroguard but in the meantime I would like to put him on a gastric supplement to see if I see any changes could anyone recommend any to me?

Many thanks :)

glenruby

Visit site
Pro soothe is the main one referral centres are recommending for horses prone to ulcers or colic at the moment.

My bambinos

Visit site
Thank you for your responses, I know GG is the only think that will cure them but I am not in a position to buy that at present so I am just looking to see if a supplement eases his symptons (which are very mild) and then we may have a clearer idea if that is what is bothering him.

TwoStroke

Visit site
I'm using Egusin at the moment, and have noticed a difference. TB's no longer responding to the ulcer pressure points, as he was before, and is less grumpy and sluggish. I think he's also started to pick up weight wise, but it's early days. Coat looks a bit better too.

Dab

Visit site
my question about gastroguard is, what happens to the digestive cycle/tract if acid production is inhibited (by the GG) for weeks and sometimes a lot longer?

Does forage passing in to the stomach require a certain amount of stomach acid applied to it to start the break down process before it is passed out of the stomach and into the rest of the digestive tract? what effect does this have on the bacteria in the hindgut if food is passed out of the stomach before the breakdown process has started?

i've been using slippery elm and chamomile flowers on my horse, who palpated positively for stomach and hindgut ulcers. But its not just the supplements that are important its the whole management of your horse, and making sure that they always have access to forage. also before working i make sure he has a handful of chaff to soak up any acid before girthing and riding.

It took about 6 to 8 weeks before he was no longer reactive to the palpation pressure points associated with stomach and hindgut ulcers.

PS i also cut out all grain, and sweets (carrots, apples, mints etc). He now just gets forage 24/7 (hay, grass), and fast fibre and micronised linseed feed twice a day.

Last edited:

Twiglet

Visit site
I would say have the scope before putting him on anything. Mine was scoped this week after showing lots of signs of gastric ulcers, only for the vet to find he was 100% clear and didn't look prone to them in the slightest. The verdict was more than he was probably just a bit of a grumpy windsucking git :p

My bambinos

Visit site
i've been using slippery elm and chamomile flowers on my horse, who palpated positively for stomach and hindgut ulcers. But its not just the supplements that are important its the whole management of your horse, and making sure that they always have access to forage. also before working i make sure he has a handful of chaff to soak up any acid before girthing and riding.

It took about 6 to 8 weeks before he was no longer reactive to the palpation pressure points associated with stomach and hindgut ulcers.

PS i also cut out all grain, and sweets (carrots, apples, mints etc). He now just gets forage 24/7 (hay, grass), and fast fibre and micronised linseed feed twice a day.

Thanks for your reply, I am very midful of his management he already had a high fibre, low grain diet and I do all of the usual hay before riding, etc to the point where I can't do any more...

He is giving mild reactions to the pressure points but not all so the supplement was my last resort to see if I see an improvement in his cranky behaviour whilst ridden.

p.s I have had a physio see him twice in the last six weeks and he doesnt have any muscular or lameness issues.....

Nari

Visit site
I'd agree about getting him scoped first so you know what you're dealing with.

After GG I've found Equine America's Ulser Gard helps keep my lad more comfortable.

maggiesmum

Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news twiglet but there's every chance that your horse has ulcers in his hind gut which cannot be seen on a gastro scope, and all horses can get them just as all can get lammi, I don't buy into the 'type' thing.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I scoped my tb 3 years ago and we dismissed ulcers as he was clear, we're now treating him for hind gut ulcers and his grumpiness and explosions in the school are much improved, had I known then what I know now I could have saved him 3 years of discomfort.

Dab

Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news twiglet but there's every chance that your horse has ulcers in his hind gut which cannot be seen on a gastro scope, and all horses can get them just as all can get lammi, I don't buy into the 'type' thing.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I scoped my tb 3 years ago and we dismissed ulcers as he was clear, we're now treating him for hind gut ulcers and his grumpiness and explosions in the school are much improved, had I known then what I know now I could have saved him 3 years of discomfort.

2nd this. Plus also worth considering that scoping is a fairly stressful process, the horse needs to be feed free for a considerable number of hours (18-24hrs) and has to go without water for 6hrs(?) which can in itself bring on grade 1 ulcers. Plus it's very expensive and it won't tell you if the horse has hindgut ulcers!
Also gg is extrodinarily expensive and won't treat hindgut ulcers and what effects does it have on prolonged use on the digestive tract?