Recommendations for lightweight and/or ventilated helmets

PiebaldRosie

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm off to work on a ranch for the summer and am going to do a bit of last minute shopping tomorrow, for a hat that will both save luggage weight and my head from overheating! My size is 60cm/ 7 3/8 which is tricky to find so recommendations from people with larger heads especially welcome!!

I've already tried the Caldene Lumos helmet which I love the look of but which didn't fit right :( I'll consider anything, provided it's lightweight and/or ventilated but preferably both, as I'll be in the saddle most of the day in 25+ degree heat. Don't care about looks, as long as it's not too bike helmet-y but will consider provided it does the job!

Budget-wise, I'll go up to £100 but would prefer around £50.

Thanks

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I bought a Gatehouse Pegasus yesterday and I love it. The lining is removable/washable as well.

http://www.gatehouserange.co.uk/gatehouse-pegasus-helmet-deco-p-268.html

I am a 6 7/8ths usually however mine is a s/m and I have it on the tightest setting so I think the l/xl should fit you fine (and maybe even the s/m).

I wore it for a jumping clinic in 27c temps yesterday and it was way cooler than my J3 and I think looks much smarter as well. I am a convert!

Gatehouse do even more ventilated ones I think but that model was all I could find to try on locally.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Over here these are the most common lightweight breathable helmets worn. I own a number of them but have never used one so I can't personally vouch for them. http://www.smartpakequine.com/tipperary-sportage-helmet-4850p.aspx They are cheap as chips and available at almost every tack shop in North America. If you are coming over here to work on the ranch then I'd buy the helmet here rather than in the UK as it will work out cheaper and it's not going to get damaged in your luggage on the plane.

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I got the Cadene ultra a couple of weeks ago, it's great! Have ridden in this heat in it, and my hair wasn't too sweaty! Miles better than my old velvet champion hat, with no ventilation!! Think I payed 70ish for it? :)x

PiebaldRosie

Visit site
Thanks everyone- it's the Caldene Ultra I'm looking to try today inparticular, along with a few endurance-type helmets. The Gatehouse ones do look good, Ffionwinnie. Which hats normally fit you the best out of Champion, CO, Gatehouse etc?

Spring Feather: That's some fab advice and if I really don't find anything today I think I'll do that, and take my old skull cap so I can get stuck in asap without needing a saddlery/to wait for postage. I've got pretty generous hand luggage so can stick the skull cap in there.

Any more recommendations at all before I leave? I'm so looking forward to having a hat that doesn't give me a headache/red forehead; never had one before that doesn't! :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Charles Owen shaped head, champion don't fit me at all, however, having the dial system may make a difference. Try as many as you can (that was the hardest part as no one has them up here!)

Leg_end

Visit site
Uvex is the best for this IME. I've tried the ventair and also have the Ayr8 but I never get a sweaty head with my uvex and that a near on miracle ;)

pip6

Visit site
lAS are great, love mine. Troxel are cheap & chearful, fit not as good, don't look as refined but very good value for money.

PiebaldRosie

Visit site
Thanks everyone, went for the Caldene ultra in the end as it was the most ventilated helmet they had! So hard to find proper ventilated lightweight ones here! It's comfy so far and doesn't look massive on my head which makes a change:

999834_10153015575855704_1589154799_n.jpg

Will let you know how it all goes; I'm planning on making an 'earshot of the day' thread when I get to the US and am riding daily.

Last edited: