recommendations for safe in-stable storage?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I have nowhere to put rugs this Winter:
- if I hang them inside his stable he pulls them down
- if I hang them outside the stable he pulls them through the bars
- if I hang them outside the stable below the bars level his neighbour pulls them off
- and I've already used all the storage space outside my stable (livery in american barn type setup)

So since he's got a fairly large stable that he doesn't use one corner of I was thinking of putting a trunk/garden storage box in there for dry rugs (wet turnouts will have to take their chance hanging up in the stable to dry). Obviously I need something that he can't destroy or hurt himself on so no sharp edges or materials that he could get a hoof through. Any suggestions please?

JenTaz

Visit site
Have you had a look at animate? they make tack lockers and the huge lockable feed bins, they are made out of metal so that would probably be suitable, I used to store all my things in my stable in a garden storage box until my horse destroyed it thinking it had food in it, hopefully you will find an alternative

Suby2

Visit site
My friend and I have garden storage boxes (not in a stable) but they are not that sturdy. A quick scratch from a horse would probably break one.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Garden storage boxes are plastic & wouldn't last very long inside a stable. Steel tack truncks/boxes are very expensive. I would try getting a small non working chest freezer. It will cost you nothing as people want them taken away & it will be sturdy & rat proof. :)

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to avoid plastic in case he puts a hoof through it or metal because of sharp corners. Has anyone come across a rubber storage box? Or a metal box with rounded corners?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
my boy used to pull my rugs off, he would walk through them and get the fillet string round his neck and deliberately walk forward and get them down, he has a rug rack inside the stable. So i put hooks on the top rug rack so he cannot get them down now. Pm me if you want photos

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Garden storage boxes are plastic & wouldn't last very long inside a stable. Steel tack truncks/boxes are very expensive. I would try getting a small non working chest freezer. It will cost you nothing as people want them taken away & it will be sturdy & rat proof. :)

Disagree with this, my plastic boxes have been in my stables 7 years so far no problems.

I do agree with the chest freezers I use them for rug storage and the trunks for boots grooming kit etc.

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
Do you have a "handy" OH / friend - could you not build a floor to ceiling "cupboard" / "wardrobe" with shelves in for your rugs in the un-used corner ? Bet it wouldn't cost any more to build / buy materials than an Animate bin etc...

bakewell

Visit site
I've used a big blue water barrel in the past, screwed through to the back wall, in a corner. They're pretty tough. Too round for teeth and withstand a kicking. TBH whatever you fancy you could use the sealed rubber flooring to cover if you wanted.

littlen

Visit site
I managed to get a big old locker which was being fine away. It's about 6ft tall but narrow and fits exactly in the corner of my stable.
It weighs a tonne and is fixed to the wall, plus it's steel so dosent move and it fits loads in.

I picked it up for £10 and spent £10 painting it so not expensive!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I visited a yard the other day where all the rugs were on racks raised high into the rafters on pulleys, like the racks over the old fashioned kitchen Rayburn. I thought that was a brilliant idea and one your YO might agree to even though it will involve a couple of screws at least.

Splashy pony

Visit site
I've just bought a Stubbs Hookie that hooks over the stable top. You could bag rugs and hang them high from one or get a couple and have a broom handle between to make a very high rug tack without screws.

bakewell

Visit site
I've just bought a Stubbs Hookie that hooks over the stable top. You could bag rugs and hang them high from one or get a couple and have a broom handle between to make a very high rug tack without screws.

Actually this has given me a thought! The pull-up bars you get for home use are self bracing between two points. If you have rafters this could avoid the need for screws.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I finally thought of a solution (inspired by some of the posts here!). Thanks to ebay a factory second salt/grit box (350ltr capacity so plenty big enough) is now winging it way to me for fifty quid - big enough, really tough, round edges and water/rodent/pony proof :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I finally thought of a solution (inspired by some of the posts here!). Thanks to ebay a factory second salt/grit box (350ltr capacity so plenty big enough) is now winging it way to me for fifty quid - big enough, really tough, round edges and water/rodent/pony proof :)

Great idea but if you want them to dry (I leave mine on the horse anyway) So if you want a rug rack to hang on wet rugs without horse getting them down my boy cannot get the rugs off with these hooks on the top

This is in the corner of his stable with his truc underneath behind the rugs
20140813_1640451_zps58d293a6.jpg

20140813_1640411_zps60402ab6.jpg

Last edited: