recommendations for stretchy waisted breeches/short jodhpurs please

pixie

Visit site
I've started riding again properly after slow ambling hacks for the past decade while my children have been small. I had just been using jeans/comfy trousers.

I tried on my jodhpurs and none of them will do up at the waist, or if they do then they are very uncomfy! I tried on some riding tights the other day, but the waistband was not stretchy enough to go past my thighs (I am very pear shaped!

Could anyone please recommend some breeches/short jodhpurs that will be comfy around the waist. Like a nice comfy pair of yoga leggings, but for riding!

I'm a size 8-10. Pear shaped with a bit of a mummy tummy. Only 5ft3 with short legs, so someone suggested breeches might actually suit my leg length better!

Thank you in advance!! <3

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Ariat riding tights are lovely, I’ve just bought fleece lined for winter and some summer ones. Medium is a roomy size 10.

dorsetladette

Visit site

These are really comfy and generously sized.

ETA - I also love my HKM Alice tights. You have to do a little wiggle to get them over your hips 🤣 but once on they are really comfy and flattering too.

Last edited:

cauda equina

Visit site
I love tights!
I'm currently wearing Legacy ones, the most comfortable things ever and I live in them (although the stitching is rubbish, I don't know if I've just been unlucky with this particular pair)
The waist is very stretchy and they're a bit long but that's not a problem as they're thin enough to fold up and still fit easily under boots

gallopingby

Visit site
Equine Splendour are lovely and very comfy, l’ve also some LeMieux winter pull ons which were half price and are very snug. There are lots to choose from but unfortunately lots of the thicker ones seem to be sold out in prep for the summer stock. The ES winters are a decent thickness and the waistband is really comfy. All of the tights l’ve had seem to come up quite big.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Flexars are ace, high waisted & hold you in, very flattering. Countrydale do one which is marketed as water resistant & winter weight. They're not water resistant, but they're seriously comfy & don't cut into your tummy, they're also cheaper than most. Horzehoods also do some really great ones.
I wear all 3 brands & love them all.

dottylottie

Visit site
black heart equestrian are super stretchy but quite thin, more gym legging material. blackfort equestrian are thicker but still a nice waistband.

i personally find ariat ones to have little stretch!

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Also I really like M&S jeggings. Pretty hard wearing and comfy, available in different leg lengths. I ride in the quite a lot.

Squeak

Visit site
Echo what the others have said, riding tights are the way to go! It sounds like you were a bit unlucky with the ones you tried. I've tried and loved flexars, followed by the shires fleece lined ones and horzehoods (prefer their thick weight). All are super comfortable.

gallopingby

Visit site
I have a few pairs of M&S jeggings, l didn’t buy them to ride in but they probably would be fine, they are comfy but l don’t find them particularly warm compared to the winter riding tights that are available. They come in different leg lengths and are much cheaper than some of the equine brands.