Recommendations for tack for 3yo

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Looking for recommendations for next steps for my filly who, to this point, has only been handled in a head collar.

She’s nearly full Arab so is small with a fine head. She’s forward without being pushy and responsive to light pressure, which I’d like to maintain.

I had been toying with the idea of getting her a micklem multi-way bridle and starting off using it without the bit, or alternately just getting on with a basic bridle and french link which is what I did with my last baby- nearly ten years ago now.

What is everyone else doing with their youngsters?

be positive

Visit site
Unless you intend to keep her bitless I would always want to mouth them before backing otherwise it can be more tricky getting acceptance, as for bit most of mine have started in either a plain soft rubber, nathe is good but expensive, then moved on to a french link or similar or in that to start, just ensure it is not too wide or thick for a horse with a small jaw, some smaller ones find a true french link ends up with the joins on the bars so a peanut is better which is smaller in the middle, even a single joint can be preferred by some, although to many people they are considered to be dreadful I have known some far happier in them than anything else, usually ones with narrow jaws.

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose it depends what your plans are long term but assuming you want to ride reasonably traditionally and bitted then I’d start her that way.

Personally I’d just start with a regular cavesson bridle and a french link or lozenge on a D ring and see how it goes!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My plans are to do lots of in-hand walking out or leading from a more experienced horse, groundwork and possibly long-reining this summer. I’m conscious of getting her used to traffic and so had considered something more than a headcollar for that.

Long terms plans are to have her comfortable with the concept of a bit and saddle by October. I’m not intending to back her bitless at all. Not planning to do much over winter, and then pick up next year again with an aim to have her properly started next year March/April.

I could always bring that forward if she is needing more to do. She’s a very quick learner which has its pros and cons!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I started off with a slip-head over a headcollar and used a sweet iron lozenge loose ring snaffle. I lead from the headcollar to start with (just around the yard) while they got used to the feel of the bit.

Scarlett

Visit site
I used a simple bridle with no noseband and a head collar under. When leading/lunging to start with I clipped the line to the inside bit ring and the ring on the side of the head collar together. It gives it a bit more stability as the head collar prevented the bit being pulled through or moving too much if my filly did something silly. I did this for about a year while she was lunging and long lining.

My girl is quite fine and although I started her in a happy mouth it really was too chunky for her mouth so I swapped to a simple, curved single joint full cheek snaffle as it fitted her mouth shape better. I added very loose side reins to give her a contact and removed the head collar and finally now a year down the line she is in the snaffle with a cavesson and is accepting the hand and contact really, really well.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I prefer a simple nathe before moving to a metal or jointed bit :)

I also use a loose flash as whilst mouthing should be encouraged, mouth opening / grabbing etc should not be.