Recommendations for wireless earpiece/ microphone for use in lessons?

Oldernewbie

Visit site
I would like to buy one of these devices as last winter with the wind/rain and some slight hearing loss on my side I often struggled to hear my riding coach despite her best efforts! I’ve noticed a few other people having lessons with these and it looks to make things easier for both coach and rider so I am going to invest in one.
I’ve had a look online but am really unsure where to start, i think I want a rechargable one with two way talk facility, it must be easy to use as can’t cope with lots of faffing about!
Can anyone recommend one? TIA.

Annagain

Visit site
Can't help with the recommendations but I know an instructor I go to doesn't have a two-way one as the sound of heavy breathing in her ear as riders got tired was horrible apparently so you might want to check with your instrucotr before investing. The down side for me is because I hear her so clearly, I start talking back and forget she can't hear a word I'm saying - probably another good reason for instructors not to have a two-way microphone!

LegOn

Visit site
I cant recommend a brand but I've been in lessons so I've used them with instructors & find them great. My only suggestion as a rider - I preferred the one where the instructor can only talk to me and I have a ear piece so I cant talk back!! I much preferred the one-way system so I could focus on what I was doing and if I wanted to ask a question I could stop & go over to them!

The talk back is way to complicated and you feel very self-conscious of your breathing & muttering & trying to ride & focus! Much easier if your instructor can just instruct without interruption!

Oldernewbie

Visit site
Thank you both for your feedback on the two way, I do get very out of puff at times and also talk to myself quite a bit 😂 so two way might not be the kindest for my coach!!!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There are loads of inexpensive walkie-talkie type radios that work on the PMR 446 frequencies, so you don't need an amateur radio license.

The models I've played with and read about usually allow you to lock your handset into "receive only" mode, so you can't transmit (so no problems with heavy breathing, cursing and answering back).

I got some Baofeng UV5-R radios a few years ago, and wrote a bit about them in 2018.

Gazen

Visit site
I have used a one way only device and I think that they are good and I can hear my instructor really clearly even in a howling gale and I have 'ear muffs' on my hat.
I think that if I had a two way I would end up driving my instructor insane with my mutterings to my spookaholic horse. "Stop being a clown", "You really are a twit", "That flower isn't going to eat you", "Honestly!"
My biggest concern has always been what happens if I have a fall and I land on the receiver unit that is in my pocket / belt pouch.