Recommendations please for stables/hay stores

Jnhuk

Visit site
This coming winter I will need a third box and improved hay storage.

My options include buying a portable/towable field shelter with hay store or extending my current run of 3 (12x12) loose boxes into an L shaped but I would need to speak to planning re this.

The loose boxes were built by a reputable firm up this end of the UK but I really would want something a little more robust or sturdy construction as my large horses love to use the stables as scratching posts and when one of them is a heavy 17.1hh ID then they need to take some abuse.

Am I better going to a local joiner or do folks have recommendations for any good stable/haystore companies that would not cost the earth and also would supply/deliver in central Scotland?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Saltire all the way - they are in Cupar Fife and would def deliver and erect stables or barn or just add on bits for you, good ones too. They can kind of do anything and are good at specifying it all in detail so you know exactly what you are getting.

I had a mini barn from them and 5 years on have saved up pebbles to get a 24x12 field shelter which they put up 3 weeks ago. Really pleased with both.

Not the cheapest perhaps but do a good job - everyone I know with wooden stables uses them if they can.

indie999

Visit site
I have a Chart mobile shelter and it is lovely water tight. Our local farmer commented on how well it was built. My only thing I would NEVER have though is Onduline roofing. It is perfectly watertight but seems kinda absorbant. It is well supported as it is well built but it has sagged a little despite mega xyz years guarantee. As I collect rainwater I cant as we had such a wet winter it is engrained with slime and moss. I tried to collect but the material holds crud. However my tin corrugated roof is lovely and clean and no such problems.

If I could now have Chart and tin roof excellent! Ideal.

Water collection may not be important if not Chart stable bone dry and I have never moved it. Its on earth too. Put they hay on pallets off the ground to help stop losing any bales on floor.