Recommendations - wireless mic/headset for lessons

Bernster

Visit site
Had a quick google and don’t think I’m even putting in the right search terms for this! Any recommendations for a good quality mic and headset thingy - for an instructor to use in a lesson? Obv needs to be mobile, not too bulky, portable and have enough charge so it lasts through the day ideally. I have seen a few being used in demos etc but no idea what they’re called.

The ones I’ve googled seem to be bulky, headset not suitable to wear with a riding hat, or with a big sound system thingy with them. You can tell I don’t get technology haha.

Thanks!

Mrs B

Visit site
My instructor uses a good one: not too bulky and very good sound quality ... and I wear a mic attached to the earpiece too so she can hear me (usually laughing and saying "You want me to try doing WHAT whilst cantering?!")

I'll ask her what make it is and get back to you ...

Otherwise

Visit site
If you're thinking about the type where the rider also has a headset there's the h&h buyers guide here from a couple of years ago but I guess there could be more on the market now. I've only personally used the ceecoach and whis as a rider, the ceecoach I've used in a semi-private lesson, I don't know if the others work for groups.

FFAQ

Visit site
Thanks OP, your post just inspired me to order 2 walkie talkies with headphones. Meant to arrive on Monday so hopefully I can use them in my lesson on Tuesday. I'll report back. Only £28 on eBay!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
This question comes up every now and again, and I usually mention cheap walkie-talkie type devices.

I've used Baofeng UV5 radios; you can program the channels, set the power to 2 or 4 watts (4 watts will give longer range, but run down the battery more quickly), and you can program one device to transmit and others to only receive, if you want.

But if you want simplicity, and just one way communication from coach to students, a "wireless audio tour guide system" might be simpler to set up. I think you might need to look closely at the earpieces supplied with the receivers, to make sure they wtay in place while riding.

Mrs B

Visit site
She says hers is a WHIS one - (Wireless Horse Instruction System). She's tried 3 different ones over the years and says this is by far the most robust and effective and allows for 2 way conversation.

Bernster

Visit site
Fabulous thank you. Will check out those suggestions. Intrigued by the walkie talkie suggestion if they have them with little ear pieces.

I suspect ins would be ok not to hear me huffing and puffing my way around though haha.

Annagain

Visit site
If one of you has unlimited minutes on your phone, just use your phones and a bluetooth handsfree set each. You can turn the rider's microphone off if you don't want to be huffing and puffing in the instructor's ear. Much cheaper!