Recommendations - Young Horse Jump Instructor - nr Worthing

Doublethyme

Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good jumping instructor, either for them to come to me (Worthing area) or I can get to them within reasonable distance. Specifically to assist in training a dressage bred youngster who has confidence issues with jumping. She is a home backed 6 year old, going well on flat and have a lovely dressage instructor, but we have hit some issues in trying to train a small bit of jumping. Unfortunately she has had a few minor accidents when younger with poles and is proving very inconsistent in her attitude to the whole jumping issue and have run out of ideas!

She does poles fine now, is mostly brilliant at canter poles, but the minute it goes into even a tiny jump, she gets anxious culminating usually in her literally shutting down in front of the jump. She is a sensitive soul and usually tries hard to please, so need someone who is used to dealing with sensitive types in a non confrontational kind way. I don't want her jumping at all costs, as she is primarily a dressage horse/hack. Just I believe all horses should be as rounded as possible in their training, so would like her to get her maybe jumping a small course and help her to gain a bit of confidence in this.

I know lots of dressage/flat trainers, but am a bit lost for jumping ones. Most I know of, whilst good instructors, would be too gung-ho for this particular mare.

Any ideas/recommendations?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Yes - Russell Cooper - he is amazing with young horses, and a fantastic instructor. He'll come out to you (doesn't have his own yard any more). PM me if you want his number :)

Doublethyme

Visit site
Thank you. Have heard good things about him in the past but didn't realise he was out teaching again after his injury. Think I can get his number from a friend but will pm if not. Many thanks.