Recommendations - Young horses first saddle

thenervouscob

Visit site
My youngster is off for backing very soon & I want to get her something good quality that fits obviously, but also adjustable to it can checked & changed regulary as she changes shape.
The obvious is Wintecs & Thorowgoods with the changeable gullet but I never find them very supportive or secure.
I was wondering if a jump saddle or something with larger knee rolls would be more appropriate just to help with my security more than anything & of course my instructor will be riding her too.
Is there anything out there that fits this description? :) I don't mind spending the money as long as it fits, but know its highly likely a year or so it would have to be changed anyway as she develops.

eggs

Visit site
I back mine in a Wintec GP mainly as it is a very light weight saddle. To be honest it has never been a problem but then all the youngsters we have done (9 in total) have not been tricky and I never felt insecure in it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've just always used whatever fits and is comfortable for both horse and rider. To be honest having knee rolls isn't going to help you if the horse decides to come unglued - which I've never had happen when backing BTW. A brand new saddle is not what I'd be using on a brand new horse either.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
You can pick saddle company saddles up second hand pretty cheap and they retain their value. They can be widened too. It’s what I did with my mare when I got her as she was very green and she changed shape completely.

TheMule

Visit site
I have a nice little Bates which is adjustable and does a good job, but otherwise I just buy them a nice 2nd hand leather saddle and sell it if/when they grow out of it and buy another. The nicer makes hold their value so you're unlikely to lose on it

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I used a peter jones gp and it was lovely. Bought it 2nd hand and it held it's value. It now doesn't fit my youngster ( a yr on) so I've changed to a Monarch jump saddle (adjustable gullet) . I love it and feel completely happy doing flat work in it. Always felt that a youngster doesn't need a dressage saddle and you should be able to do basic flatwork in a jump saddle.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I got a Black Fridays email from weatherbeeta today and they’re selling new adjustable synthetic saddles for as low as £190. Brand colliegate I think? Not sure what they’re like though!

rextherobber

Visit site
I got the Thorowgood for my youngster, as it's adjustable and light; a decade later, I still have it, as horse still changing shape! Looking at secondhand prices now, they are selling for twice what I paid secondhand back then. I found Wintec less comfortable from my point of view, and when I pick up a "proper" saddle, I'm shocked by how heavy they are! Also, don't have to worry about them getting wet, definitely an advantage at this time of year.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've just always used whatever fits and is comfortable for both horse and rider. To be honest having knee rolls isn't going to help you if the horse decides to come unglued - which I've never had happen when backing BTW. A brand new saddle is not what I'd be using on a brand new horse either.

If you have a trusted saddle fitter they'll work with you and advise you, and you'll have something they're happy to adjust. And ultimately the above is absolutely true, you don't ideally want the saddle getting in your way, but it needs to fit the horse as 100% priority. If the horse is short backed and you're very long legged a jump saddle might be the very best option, if not then it will depend on how well the saddle fits you more than whether it's a jump saddle or not, or how big the blocks are.

thenervouscob

Visit site
Digging up my old post with a bit of an update as we had the fitter out a few weeks ago . . . .

My old Wintec GP with a gullet change has ended up fitting her pretty nicely to go away, with the view to buying something a little less battered & scratched up in a few months when shes home & a little more developed.
Whilst being fitted & confirmed from the fitter doing a trace, she has more of a muscle & dip behind one wither than another. The gullet change thats been done now is therefore is the closest fit we'll get, but obviously not perfect due to the wastage on one side - he suggested sending away with a few thick Polypads to compensate for this & thinks that even long reining & doing work on both reins with even the muscle out - it can then be checked again before shes actually sat on.

Seeing as the Wintec seems to fit shape wise, I'm assuming its only Bates then that use the same tree shape if I were to look for something newer? He's also mentioned the option of removing the Cair for flocking if I go down that road.

mariew

Visit site
Even for your next saddle remember it might not fit for very long, neither the one after that so don't buy anything too expensive spangly! And buy something easy to sell on that keeps its second hand value.

thenervouscob

Visit site
Even for your next saddle remember it might not fit for very long, neither the one after that so don't buy anything too expensive spangly! And buy something easy to sell on that keeps its second hand value.

Thank you, yes that definitely worth keeping in mind! From what I've seen Bates & Fairfax are around my budget & seem to resell well so hoping one of them may suit her.