Recommended proven eventing instructors around Edinburgh?

neverenoughtea

Visit site
Hello,

As it says in the title really - I am looking to take my 5yo SSH as far as he (an I!) can go in the eventing world. He has proven himself to be pretty talented so far, and we have entries in for BYEH and potential sports horse classes this year. I am really looking for an established eventer in the Lothians for some regular instruction and possibly clinics. I know Louisa Milne Home is up in Perthshire, along with Sarah Houlden, but was wondering if anyone knew any trainers closer to home? £70 diesel and an hour and a half in the wagon before an hour's lesson is hitting my wallet pretty hard, and I can't believe there aren't some more local eventers.

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Jingleballs

Visit site
I can recommend Olivia Wilmot. She's based near Glasgow and does travel but can be tricky to get hold of and not sure if she'd travel as far as Edinburgh. I've recently started lessons with Pauline McKee who I believe is based in Livingston and have been impressed with her method of teaching.

David G is fab but also very busy and I think he mainly does group training.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Well it all depends on what you need help with. Dressage use a dressage trainer, Show jumping the same.

Within reason, particularly if the OP is quite established and needs specific help. I think it's very useful though, especially with younger horses/less experienced riders, to have an instructor who understands the demands of the sport as a whole and how the pieces fit together. I once had a dressage trainer get quite irate because he felt the quality of my horse's canter would not be at its best until I stopped galloping! :D

Chocy

Visit site
Def recommend David Gatherer he's fab! As some1 else said its mainly group teaching he does at snec, gleneagles, greenfields (that I can think of) but u really get a lot out of lesson with him.

Also Olivia is fab 2 (if she sort me out she must b good :) ). She does travel about but don't no if she'd go as far as lothian regularly altho u can go 2 her place in EK. But def worth asking her if u can get her- she not always the easiest 2 contact esp over the eventing season!

Marydoll

Visit site
I can recommend Olivia Wilmot. She's based near Glasgow and does travel but can be tricky to get hold of and not sure if she'd travel as far as Edinburgh. I've recently started lessons with Pauline McKee who I believe is based in Livingston and have been impressed with her method of teaching.

I had a group lesson with Olivia Wilmot and wouldnt have another, David Gatherer on the other hand was fantastic as was Sarah Houlden

Jingleballs

Visit site
I've only really had individual lessons with Olivia but I didn't enjoy group lessons as much but I'd just put that down to being used to having her undivided attention.

Jnhuk

Visit site

David is very busy but he manages to come over to PDRC for clinics so if you keep an eye on our website for his clinics. There are only two per hour lesson which David appreciates as often is asked to teach four/five or more in at some venues. I have not got more dates from him yet but am working on it ;)

Jnhuk

Visit site
Strange how things work but since my last post this morning a certain busy instructor has sent me two possible dates for his next two clinics :D !

Chocy

Visit site
Can I ask what/where is PDRC- sorry 4 being a numpty!
Also on the look out for new places 2 take ponio 2 and having DG there wud b a bonus!!

baulea bay

New User
Visit site
I am another vote for Pauline McKee,she's patient and understanding and thanks to her im riding at the royal highland show next week,something i would never have thought possible last year. She knows her stuff.

Maclinda

Visit site
David Gatherer is my regular instructor and is fantastic in all three disciplines. Have had Olivia Wilmot for XC and show jumping and she is really good as well (she was taught by David so both have similar styles).

kez1001

Visit site
David Gatherer is my regular instructor and is fantastic in all three disciplines. Have had Olivia Wilmot for XC and show jumping and she is really good as well (she was taught by David so both have similar styles).

Agree with this^^

David and Oliva are similar styles and both out competing on a very regular basis so know their stuff.

Edit to say I've noticed this is an older post, hope you found someone to help OP