Recommended safety stirrups (for jumping)

Bernster

Visit site
Don’t shoot me, I have searched on here and read past threads, honest! But still undecided and wanted a bit more info please on recommended safety stirrups for jumping.

I have the Sprenger normal ones but don’t think they’re classed as safety for jumping. Tried the new Tech ones but didn’t notice enough of a difference to warrant the price tag and, like someone else on here, they did make a funny squeaky sound but not sure if that was the spring mechanism or not.

Avacallo? Flex on ? but they seem fiddly to screw back in place. Jin seem to have some bad reviews about breaking... help?!

Bernster

Visit site
Thx both - so no issues with them opening at the wrong time? The tech ones had the magnet at the top which seemed less likely to go wrong but the squeak was a bit off putting!

teddypops

Visit site
Thx both - so no issues with them opening at the wrong time? The tech ones had the magnet at the top which seemed less likely to go wrong but the squeak was a bit off putting!
My tech stirrups don’t squeak. The hinge must need oiling. What difference do you think you should feel? I don’t feel any difference with mine, but I feel happier knowing they will open if in an emergency.

Upthecreek

Visit site

I’ve had mine a year and they have never opened at the wrong time. I haven’t fallen off (touches wood) whilst wearing them, but my daughter has fallen off wearing hers and they did exactly what they are supposed to do. I find them comfortable to ride in and they have a nice weight to them without being too heavy.

JulesRules

Visit site
I have the Acavello Arena Alupro as well on my mare because she does a bit of jumping. I have Jins on my little man as he doesn't do hooves leaving the ground.
I really like the Alupros, and the rose gold ones are really pretty, but I think the Jins are a little gripper. I wouldn't use them ( the Jins) for jumping though.

Bernster

Visit site
My tech stirrups don’t squeak. The hinge must need oiling. What difference do you think you should feel? I don’t feel any difference with mine, but I feel happier knowing they will open if in an emergency.

Someone else on here mentioned the noise too. Not sure which bit it is but they’re pretty new stirrups on loan from the saddler. It’s a ‘clacky’ sound, doesn’t sounds like anything is sticking, if you know what I mean.

I think I wanted to notice some difference in how they felt etc to warrant the price tag, over and above the fact they’ve got a safety opening on them.

dixie

Visit site
It might have been me mentioning the noise. I think it’s because my feet sit to the outer edge of the stirrup and moves the mechanism a bit. I’ve swopped to the avacallo ones now and am much happier in them - although I don’t think the arm seems quite so durable long term.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I changed to Acavello AluPro from Sprenger bow balance ones as I wanted safety stirrups but found the flex of the Sprengers was aggravating my ankle after damaging the ligaments. Had them probably about two years now, no squeaking (I couldn't stand that it would drive me mad!) and no unwanted openings.

eventinghenry

Visit site
Another vote for the Acavallo alupro ones! I bought mine a few months ago (change from composti non-safety ones) and am very happy with them so far! Have come off in them once, not sure if the safety mechanism activated but foot definitely didn’t get stuck. And haven’t had any unwanted openings, even out hunting or when I’m close to losing one.

teapot

Visit site
Having ridden in all kinds of stirrups (yay for working liveries at training centres) I'd only ever ride in two types, 1) the traditional stirrup iron and 2) the Acavello Opera as they did weirdly good things to my lower leg, but they found they did keep coming open when adjusting leathers etc.

Bernster

Visit site
Popping back after reading the new posts from yesterday. Thx for the input. I think the avacallo is my top choice. Oddly I kind of prefer the opening at the top which the Tech ones have but they just didn’t wow me and the clacking was off putting. The av ones have the opening at the bottom but if it’s a secure fit and only opens when you fell, not in normal use, then that’s fine for me. Will check those out a bit more.

LJF0664

Visit site
I bought the Acavello Arena's a couple of months ago and love them, they are super grippy, and I haven't had any issues with the side opening when its not supposed to. The purchase decision was mainly based on the fact that they look more like traditional stirrups and were much less ££ than some of the other options, but I'm really please with them - I've found that the wider footbed actually helps keep my heels down, so thats another bonus!

I have had to buy some stirrup covers though as the cheese grater on the footbed is mean and when I've bought new leathers I was either catching my hand or the leather on it when I was passing the leather through the stirrup to run them up- it wasnt a problem with my old ones, as the leather was so soft and worn I didn't catch them, but the new ones are better quality (and not knackered!!), so not as bendy if that makes sense?!

Muddywellies

Visit site
The Tech ones drive me bananas as the bridge of my foot would cause the arm to constantly click open and shut (as it uoens front the top) and I felt a little insecure. So I bought the acavello ones. They open at the bottom and are way better.

Muddywellies

Visit site
The Tech ones drive me bananas as the bridge of my foot would cause the arm to constantly click open and shut (as it uoens front the top) and I felt a little insecure. So I bought the acavello ones. They open at the bottom and are way better.
I'll just re write this in better English shall I ?

The Tech ones drove me bananas as the bridge of my foot would cause the arm to constantly click open and shut (as it opens from the top) and I felt a little insecure. So I bought the acavello ones. They open at the bottom and are way better.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Haha I understood you MW, 3 of us have said the same thing - design flaw?!
Ha ha. Glad you got the gist of version 1.
Not sure if it's a design flaw. Thinking logically, horrible thought, but if you're hanging upside down with foot stuck in stirrup, I would imagine it would actually be better opening at the top as that's where your toe would be. My riding is fairly low risk (I don't jump or go very fast!) so I went for everyday comfort (ie not having the arm clicking open and shut (it's magnetic)) over possibly slightly safer design. I wholly believe the acavello would release sufficiently if needed, just in a different way. I guess out of the two, the tech could possibly be a slightly safer design, but I personally prefer my Acavellos.

Last edited:

HeyMich

Visit site
Sorry to jump (haha, no pun intended) on this thread, but I have a quick question for all you safety stirrup experts...

My son needs new safety stirrups after having to get all new tack for a new super-jumping pony (no, we're not faddy, just that the pony didn't come with anything and my daughter needs all the old stuff for the wee pony that she rides). He's 12 yrs old, just over 5 ft, about 40kg, but has adult size 9 feet!! (I know, we're related to BigFoot/yeti/platypuses in this family) So, my question is this - do I get him the Acavallo Alupro Juniors, which would suit his size and weight, or do I get him the adult ones, which would suit his foot size?? They're pricey, so I don't want to get the wrong ones and have to end up buying twice.

Thanks all

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry to jump (haha, no pun intended) on this thread, but I have a quick question for all you safety stirrup experts...

My son needs new safety stirrups after having to get all new tack for a new super-jumping pony (no, we're not faddy, just that the pony didn't come with anything and my daughter needs all the old stuff for the wee pony that she rides). He's 12 yrs old, just over 5 ft, about 40kg, but has adult size 9 feet!! (I know, we're related to BigFoot/yeti/platypuses in this family) So, my question is this - do I get him the Acavallo Alupro Juniors, which would suit his size and weight, or do I get him the adult ones, which would suit his foot size?? They're pricey, so I don't want to get the wrong ones and have to end up buying twice.

Thanks all
Good question! I’d maybe contact Acavallo and run it past them. Like you say you don’t want them outgrown in no time!

I ordered ?? from Amazon, they arrive tomorrow!

Bernster

Visit site
Good question! I’d maybe contact Acavallo and run it past them. Like you say you don’t want them outgrown in no time!

I ordered ?? from Amazon, they arrive tomorrow!

Have some in an online shopping basket ! You may have seen but sounds like you need to be careful, or have covers, as the grip can scratch.

Squeak

Visit site
Have some in an online shopping basket ! You may have seen but sounds like you need to be careful, or have covers, as the grip can scratch.

If it's any help, I have the Acavallo Opera stirrups (and love them!) and have never had a problem with them scratching.

After Harry Meade's fall this was a well timed thread and the Arena Alupro stirrups will be at the top of my Christmas list.

Willow1306

Visit site
Royal Rider now do a safety style stirrup - it's much more classical and less bulky/heavy than a lot of the popular ones.

ETA - they're called the 'concept stirrup'.

Adoni123

Visit site
A lot of my friends use Sprengers and they actually got told not to by chiropractors which I thought was interesting.

I use Avacallo Opera ones and I absolutely love them! I feel safe and secure always in my stirrups and it also provides support for my sore legs which are full of sciatica!