Recovering mentally from a fall - advice

Eventer2017

Visit site
Hi. I had a fall jumping recently and wonder if anyone has tips for moving on from it mentally. I find that I get a lot of anxiety riding again after a fall, and I often take a big step back. Thanks heaps 😊

fabbydo

Visit site
Is there someone who would just sit in the corner of the school whilst you ride? Or walk with you on a hack around the block? Just having someone there, not for a lesson, often helps.

Morag4

Visit site
Do you have an instructor you trust and that knows you and your horse? If so have lots of lessons with them to help you regain your confidence. This is what I did after a nasty fall and it has made a massive difference in confidence, that and refinding my bloody minded determination to crack on.

Shay

Visit site
This can hardly have been your first fall! What you need to move on depends on a wide range of elements and probably the first is understanding why - of all the falls you will have had - has this one hit you more than any other. If you know why this one bothers you it is easier to figure out what you need to work on to move beyond it. Don't stress about the fact that it does - we all have that to one degree or another.

For some going over the fall and visualizing the steps that would have prevented it works. For others they need to try to put aside intrusive memories. For some technical lessons in avoiding it next time work best, for others they need something like NLP or performance coaching to work more on the mental side. Sometimes work on how to fall is best. Only you are inside your own head and the first step to understanding what you need right now starts with understanding why this fall more than any other is an issue.

For what its worth - and I am not insider your head. I have 40+ years of ridden expereicne and there are a handfull of falls which stand out in my head has having really influenced me and getting back etc. If you are seriously physically injured the delay in getting back aboard is hard. If the horse is injured the guilt as a rider for putting them in that place. First fall is sometimes hard - depends on your age. Kids tend to forget -some don't. Knowing why it is hard for you right now really helps to sort out what you need to do to move past it.

Suechoccy

Visit site
If you've got some spare money and you can't get through this feeling, then how about booking yourself onto the How-to-fall-off-a-horse course (I think it's correct title is Rider Confidence) at the Centre of Horseback Combat in Herts? I did it about 7 years ago not from fear or memory but because it was just before I backed (I'd never backed before) my youngster and I assumed I'd fall off several times over the coming months/years so wanted to know that I'd learnt to fall safely. Gentle hugs to you.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
If you've got some spare money and you can't get through this feeling, then how about booking yourself onto the How-to-fall-off-a-horse course (I think it's correct title is Rider Confidence) at the Centre of Horseback Combat in Herts? I did it about 7 years ago not from fear or memory but because it was just before I backed (I'd never backed before) my youngster and I assumed I'd fall off several times over the coming months/years so wanted to know that I'd learnt to fall safely. Gentle hugs to you.

I've just attended a talk by this chap (Karl Greenwood) today. It was very interesting and definitely worth going to or as above going on the actual course :)

ponynutz

Visit site
As someone who suffers from diagnosed OCD and Anxiety Disorder, oh boy here are some tips for ya... (You don't have to do all of these, but can if you wish to find a good way for you)!

1) Definitely book in a couple of talking sessions (or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). Therapy isn't something to be ashamed about, and you don't have to be consistent with it long-term. You will probably only need one, two maybe even three sessions with a good therapist and there are plenty you can find in your area who aren't too pricy either!

2) Try breathing exercises. Notice the feeling coming on, accept it and feel it. Closing your eyes (if you're in halt or not onboard yet), breathe in for 4 seconds, out for 7, in for 4 out for 7 etc, until you notice your heart-rate go down. Do NOT get on until your heart-rate is at least below 100, as horses can sense a rider with a quickened heart beat and might become more flighty themselves. There are loads of different methods you can research online, but the one above (my CAHMs therapist calls it the "bleep-bloop" method lol).

3) Have a few lunging lessons with your instructor! You don't have to worry about having control of your favourite horse and it will also help your position tons! You can also be led on a hack, or have someone walking beside you with a very loose lunge rein when you feel ready. This is also a good way to start jumping again (or doing pole work at first) as again, you don't have to worry about being in control. Also talk to your instructor, as they will have more ideas, and will be able to help you make the transition from the lunge to controlling your horse on your own.

4) Have a couple of lessons on a schoolmaster. You will feel safe riding them, as they are often calm but not dead to your leg and will politely do what you ask! I know a couple of people who have found this really helpful, however remember you may still have a slight mental block when it comes to riding your favourite horse again!

Hope these helped, good luck to you and keep us updated!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If possible try not to overthink it - self talk becomes your reality and it becomes self fulfilling. Ie you fall and struggle and then next time you fall you say to yourself oh no I always struggle to get over falls. That is an anxiety provoking thought. Hey presto - anxious. And then you say 'see I knew I'd struggle to get over it'.

If you can learn not to let these self defeating cycles start it will help in far more ways than just falling because you see the same process with runs outs, refusals etc. 'Oh no it's a skinny, my horse hates skinnies' - so you approach tentatively and horse runs out and you say 'I KNEW he'd have a problem at that fence!" '

Thinking is a process and you can choose how it goes. You can't stop thoughts popping into your head but you CAN stop yourself following those thoughts down a rabbit hole. Though it takes recognition of the process, a decision to stop it and lots of practice!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hi. I had a fall jumping recently and wonder if anyone has tips for moving on from it mentally. I find that I get a lot of anxiety riding again after a fall, and I often take a big step back. Thanks heaps 😊

You don't tell us very much in this post... Did you hurt yourself physically? Did you get straight back on again?

As Shay wrote, this is almost certainly not your first fall, so what's so different about this time?

There were three falls in my lesson yesterday (Sunday), including me; no serious injury, so we just got back on and continued riding.

When I was a child, and now as an adult learning to ride, I have always been told that it's important to get back on after a fall, so as to not lose confidence. Obviously, you can't do that if you've broken a bone, and adults are more fragile than kids.

I've also thought that part of learning to ride should be learning to fall and minimize injury. You learn that in marshal arts and in skiing, so why not in horse riding?

pansymouse

Visit site
Riding a different horse worked for me - it let me establish in my head that I could actually ride and that the accident wasn't my fault. It also made me realise I didn't like big horses so in the end I sold the horse I had the fall from and went back to smaller ones.

starfish8

Visit site
Book a lesson and have a quick drink before - the alcohol will help you relax, listening to the instructor will help keep your mind off the what-ifs. And don't put off getting back on, the longer you leave it the more your worries will grow & the harder it will be to get back to normal.

Obviously don't down half a bottle of vodka when you have to drive an hour later...