Recovery after leg break

Lottiedots

Visit site
I’ve not been on here for a very long time but I could do with some advice.

Just over two weeks ago I had a bit of a freak riding accident and came off my horse resulting in a very severe break to my leg.
I am now at home looking at a very long recovery period. At least 6 months .

I’m in my late 50s but otherwise very fit and healthy. Organising my life now I am not mobile has been a night mare to say the least.

So some questions .

Have you been in my situation?
How long was your recovery period?
Did you go back to riding?
If you went back to riding how long did it take before you felt strong enough to ride again? (Thinking my leg will be very weak afterwards.)
What did you do about your horse/horse during this time?
My horse has gone to my trainer on livery for a while but this is not a long term solution. I keep my horse at home and i am not going to be able to look after him, or even know if I will go back to riding. He is young and needs to continue with his education.
My head is in whirl.
Any advise greatly received!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a more straightforward break, just before the Spring Bank holiday. I had a pot on it for 6 weeks, for 5 of those weeks I had to be non-weight-bearing. As I am a teacher, I didn't go back to work until the September but I had an infection in the stitches and then had to have 2 more weeks off work in October. I finally got back on board in the November, took it very carefully for a while but got back to doing everything I had done previously (I don't jump) before too long. I do always use a mounting block for mounting and dismounting, I have a plate and pins in my left ankle.

ETA, I had some lessons on a mechanical horse before getting back on the real thing.

sport horse

Visit site
I fractured my femur and with complications it took about 15 months before I could ride seriously. I did get back to competing show jumping at Grade A level but I was much younger - in my 20's. I managed to hobble about and help with stables etc. I was very lucky in that my husband was also horsey and he kept them ticking over - I just had to ban him from competing my young horse as I wanted that one!! For rehab I did loads of physio and I swan and swam and swam!!

oldie48

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, I've had injuries/ops that have stopped me riding for up to three months and I also keep my horses at home, so I understand your concerns. Basically it does all come down to money. I've always had someone who helped me as I was working full time until I was nearly 65, so I upped her hours. If you don't have help, can you find someone? I didn't have a young horse, but would it be the end of the world if you turned hm away for a few months then paid for someone to bring him back into work for you? You won't want to get on a young horse that has been out of work so a month or so of work prior to that, if you can afford it, would really help. You might possibly find someone who is experienced who might take him on as a short term loan but I think you'd need to be really happy it was the right person. I think it's really difficult to assess how you might feel about riding after an acident and a long time off. I can only share my experience, I had a very nasty accident in my early 50's on a horse that was relatively new to me, I was quite nervous about getting back on him and I am not the bravest rider at the best of times, but I coped, took it slowly and we were OK. Best of luck, it's just horrible to be injured like this but six months goes surprisingly quickly, it's knowing what to do for the best that is the really hard part.

Lottiedots

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, I've had injuries/ops that have stopped me riding for up to three months and I also keep my horses at home, so I understand your concerns. Basically it does all come down to money. I've always had someone who helped me as I was working full time until I was nearly 65, so I upped her hours. If you don't have help, can you find someone? I didn't have a young horse, but would it be the end of the world if you turned hm away for a few months then paid for someone to bring him back into work for you? You won't want to get on a young horse that has been out of work so a month or so of work prior to that, if you can afford it, would really help. You might possibly find someone who is experienced who might take him on as a short term loan but I think you'd need to be really happy it was the right person. I think it's really difficult to assess how you might feel about riding after an acident and a long time off. I can only share my experience, I had a very nasty accident in my early 50's on a horse that was relatively new to me, I was quite nervous about getting back on him and I am not the bravest rider at the best of times, but I coped, took it slowly and we were OK. Best of luck, it's just horrible to be injured like this but six months goes surprisingly quickly, it's knowing what to do for the best that is the really hard part.

Lottiedots

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. This is really hard. Trying to decide what’s best for me and also for him long term. Good to hear other people’s stories.

Hack4fun

Visit site
Give yourself time. Your horse can cope with some time without education. See if you can find someone to help look after his daily needs.

Shay

Visit site
Don't make any decisions quickly. You'll be plagued with "what ifs.." I broke my back, not my leg. I decided to sell my horse whilst I was still in hospital and he was sold before I came out. The fall was in no way his fault. I didn't have time to decide if I might have had nerves riding him again - I based my decision on the Doctor's prognosis that I would not ride again, shock and trying to be responsible as I was the sole wage earner with a 4 year old child.

I actually don't - now - regret the turn life dealt me. We used the money to buy her first pony, she had a successful time in Junior BS had a wonderful childhood and now has a wonderful Connie baby to produce having settled on a career as a clinical psychologist. I wold not miss any of that. But my mental health did take a battering - especially in the early years. I was in fact able to to ride again - although the pain means I don't now but that was my choice, not something forced on me. I do regret selling so quickly. Not seeing him again - I know he was happy in his new home and lived a full and happy life - but I did have regrets.

Its easy to be wise with hindsight. And I have loved every step of what our life became and what it is now. And I would not trade any of that for a moment. But I do think I would have had fewer demons if I had waited a few more weeks. Obviously each case is different - finances and family situations differ. But if you can - wait until the prognosis is more stable. And never give up on being able to recover riding strength. When it comes time, get a really good sports physio who understands riding - don't rely on the hit and miss of an NHS one. They are all good of course - but if you have one who knows about riders, knows what you need and what is practical in a yard environment you'll do so much better.

hellfire

Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. I had a leg brake thanks to my old horse kicking me (not intentional!) but wasn’t too bad to be 6months. Do not make my mistake and think after your out the cast you can hop on a week later and expect to feel great 😂. For me it too 5 months of physio and hydro therapy that really helped build my leg strength back up. I could not mount properly for a long time so you’ll need a big mounting block if it’s your left leg. Keep up strengthening exercises and start off easy in a school for just 15 mins and build yourself up slowly. I tried to do too much too fast and now have a debt to the left of my knee/thigh from not taking it slowly enough. It also causes me pain now and then. So the best advice I can give is listen to doctors take it slow and build muscle and strength before getting back on. Then take it slowly! Wish you a speedy recovery.

Tardebigge

Visit site
Sorry about your break, sounds a bad one.
Not nearly as serious as you but I had a very painful fall from a young horse when I was 57. I broke ribs and suffered ligament damage - the ligament damage to my hip took months to recover from. I gave up riding at that point for several reasons, but I felt the fall was almost a wake up call. You really don't bounce or fall so easily as you age, and I was concerned that a further fall and injury could severely impact on my mobility as I get old and spoil my retirement. I have enough aches and pains from years of riding (and falls!) and didn't really want to add to them.(I recently had to have surgery, again, on an injury first received in 1977.)
But, having said that, don't make any hasty decisions. Can you turn your horse away for the winter? I can assure you the horse won't care, and it would give you some breathing space.
Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I have been in this situation but I was younger mid forties .
It was five years of surgery recover from surgery have surgery recover from that .
It was a nightmare .
I never regained my previous level riding .
I did not part with all my horses at once but I should have done but they where not youngsters, they where horses in their prime working years .
I learnt to drive and bought a driving horse .
If your horse is young perhaps it could completely turned away at home and get a freelancer to come in once day .
Then when your better send the horse to the trainers and take it from there.

Outdoorgirl

Visit site
I came off a horse when I was 47 and ended up with a tibial plateau fracture. I was in hospital 10 days and came home with a plate and 6 screws in my left leg. Once the 36 staples came out I was in foot to toe plaster, with a hinge at the knee so I could keep that mobilised, for 12 weeks. I had intensive physio but my leg has never been as strong again. It took me about 4 or 5 months to start riding again and the horse I came off went back to WHW where she came from. The old horse I had at the time wasn't in front of my leg enough for me to ride so I managed to find a horse to loan which I ended up keeping for 13 years. I still get worried if a horse feels like it might buck (I came off a real bronco act), but I can't imagine not riding. When all this happened I had 4 horses plus a mare with a foal at foot. My horses are not at home - we rent stables and grazing about 5 miles from home - but they might as well be as there's only us there. It's amazing how my husband coped and friends pitched in to help him. Once you get used to the crutches, a bin liner can cover your foot and part of your leg so at least you can inspect the work of others, and when you can start to weight bare the bin liners are a godsend and the horses soon get used to the new fashion look and the crinkly noise!! Good luck OP. Time will go much more quickly than you imagine at the moment.

Sealine

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident.

A few years ago, when I was in may late 40's I fractured my patella and I was in plaster for 8 weeks. It happened in late September and I decided to give my horse a few months off work. Whilst I was in plaster my lovely fellow DIY liveries took on the day to day care of my horse who was stabled at night. Once I was out of plaster I felt very wobbly and vulnerable and couldn't bend my leg at all and it took me a week or two to feel comfortable driving again. I drive an automatic and it was my right leg. Once I could get to the yard I could do all my yard duties although no one would let me bring in/turn out for a couple of weeks. I had two physio sessions a week and joined a gym on the advice of my physio so that I could go swimming and do specific exercises for my knee. My ambition was to be able to bend my leg back and get my heel on my bum but that took a few months to achieve.

I started riding again in the January, a few weeks after the plaster was removed, with the aim of doing a 7 mile sponsored ride in early April (RAF Halton). This gave me something to aim for in respect of building up my horse's fitness and my recovery. I started off with a 20 minute hack in walk and built up to do the sponsored ride which we completed (including all the jumps).

I was lucky as my injury was very straight forward and I have no ongoing issues from it. The key thing for me was the physio and they gym. Luckily the private health insurance I get with my job covered unlimited physio sessions.

Good luck with your recovery and I hope you get back to your previous state of health and fitness.

Bojingles

Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your injury - been there! Hope my story will give you some cause for optimism though! Mine wasn't a riding accident; I fell down the stairs and smashed both legs into a cabinet. Ripped all the ligaments in my right leg and snapped the tib and fib in the left leg and also dislocated the ankle. I was 47 at the time.

I thought I'd have a cast for a few weeks and that would be it but the doctors were very keen to impress upon me that it was a major trauma; ie a life-changing injury. I now have a lot of metalwork in the left leg. When the fog of ketamine and morphine had cleared I asked if I'd ever be able to ride again. The consultant said "Of course, probably in a year or so." They thought I should be able to partially weight bear in 6 months.

After the surgery they put a cast on which caused such agony that one night I went into a major meltdown, thinking I was going to die. When they took it off I begged the consultant not to replace it and she reluctantly let me have a boot. I think this was the key to my recovery as I was able to flex the ankle almost from the word go. Anyway, to cut a long story short, with the help of plenty of tramadol I was riding within 5 weeks. I needed hoisting on and off and it was painful but I honestly think it was good physio. I was walking after a couple of months, a fact which amazed the surgeon.

I was lucky with my horse as my friends took over her care but she's pretty low-maintenance. I live on my own and had to be pretty resourceful and creative to move around and get things done!

I remember feeling heartbroken at the severity of the injury and my friend saying "Be the one who proves all the statistics wrong" and that really resonated with me. And I did! You wouldn't know now that it had happened. It aches at a very low level but doesn't stop me doing anything I used to do except walking fast.

Go easy on yourself, accept all the help you can get. Can you just turn your horse away and have someone check on her? I wish you all the very best with your recovery and remember that in a year, this time will just be a memory. xx