Recovery from tooth extraction and sinus surgery

Uliy

Visit site
My lovely girl has been in horsey hospital since Wednesday and has had a tooth extracted and surgery on her sinus to remove all the pus (there was absolutely loads, I saw the CT scan!)

Could anyone who’s been through similar please tell me how long it took for your horse to firstly be turned back out and secondly to come back into work? I’m picking her up on Sunday so will obviously find out then, but I’d love to find out some information in advance to prepare myself - google hasn’t been helpful!

Thanks!

LeneHorse

Visit site
Mine had the same procedure in September. She was on box rest for a week when she came home. She had a sinus drain attached during that time and I had to flush her sinuses twice daily. The vet came out after the 7 days and removed the tubing. She had a small adhesive patch over the hole but was allowed out in the field. I was able to ride her again at this point but all we do is gentle hacking rather than 'work' so check with your vet.
I was amazed how quickly she recovered from this, my vets did a fantastic job.
Hope this helps and it is as straightforward for your horse

Britestar

Visit site
Mine was turned out with his drain in situ. Same as above was flushed twice daily, but his was in for 10 days. He did have a problem which meant it was put back in about a month later.
Mine was unbroken at the time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mine recovered really quickly I struggling to remember back to normal well much better than normal within two week .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One of work's horses had this. Apart from the Frankinstein-esque tube into his forehead, he was really good from the start. I think he was walked in hand for a few days, tube in place. I seem to thunk he was also walked out under saddle within a week, but round the arena on a long rein as opposed to work per se.

I don't remember how long before turnout, but it was all surprisingly easy to say it looked horrid!

Uliy

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies -oh how interesting, I assumed it would be months!

How long did it take for the hole to close up, and can you see a scar? The vet has told me you can tell when they’ve had a sinus op, but I’m hoping it’s only obvious if you are a professional! It is only the smallish hole rather than a bone flap.

Britestar

Visit site
Mine had a bone flap, so super obvious, the more so the older he gets. If you know where to feel, you can find the hole in his forehead where the catheter was placed. (19 years later!)