recurrent uclers. now what?

soulfull

Visit site
After my happy post in CR I'm gutted to now report that I am certain Emils ulcers are back :( I have suspected it for a while but in all honestly have not wanted to think about it.
however the symptoms are now too much like last time to ignore

what I cannot understand is why they have returned. He always has forage available 24/7. has alfa and a low starch balancer with speedi beet. added magnesium

hasn't had any changes at all. no travelling. only competed on own yard, and always low key!

What the heck do I do now????

I have looked at different supplements but the cheapest I have found that actually has a good rep is well over £1.50 a day :( Obviously I will pay this if I have to, but long term it will mean giving up competing(can't afford both), which for me is the reason I have him

I'm also thinking that there probably is no point in keeping my lorry as if the ulcers have returned without him ever stepping foot on the ramp, then we have no chance of ever travelling to competitions :(

soulfull

Visit site
thanks. I did feed it for a while after stopping the GG but stopped. again though this would cost a fair amount (over £1 per day) as I was told to feed it at 120ml a day, any less and not worth using??

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I actually don't think there are any supplements that work. Certainly the mare that has ulcers here has tried every supplement going and all to no avail. The only thing to work on her has been gastroguard. Lately her owner has bought the much cheaper abguard which is exactly the same. She then bought her the equivalent in sachets with a probiotic (abprazole plus), which worked just as well but works out 96p a sachet and three are needed a day for treatment and one and a half a day for prevention. However, sadly, for this mare as soon as we reduce the dose down from the treatment level of three a day, her symptoms come back. You can tell right away as soon as you get on her. Her back hunches up and she starts napping. I think she is going to have to stay on three a day for the rest of her life. :(

Most horses though can be maintained on one or two sachets daily which prevents the ulcers from returning, but still costs between 96p- £1.92 a day.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My mare hasn't had a diagnosis, I started to use AV after reading a tip on here. She was very girthy, extremely grumpy with stable companions at feed time, prone to colic etc. And improved dramatically with AV. I once ran out for 2 days and she kicked the wall out between her stable and the next (which has had some much bigger horses than her in it with no problem). I make sure I don't run out now. She is a 16hh Westphalian Draft horse was over 800 kg when we got her, now lost about 20 cm in girth. I give her 2 capfuls per day,so about 60ml. Perhaps you could give a high dose to start with and decrease if it works.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My mare hasn't had a diagnosis, I started to use AV after reading a tip on here. She was very girthy, extremely grumpy with stable companions at feed time, prone to colic etc. And improved dramatically with AV. I once ran out for 2 days and she kicked the wall out between her stable and the next (which has had some much bigger horses than her in it with no problem). I make sure I don't run out now. She is a 16hh Westphalian Draft horse was over 800 kg when we got her, now lost about 20 cm in girth. I give her 2 capfuls per day,so about 60ml. Perhaps you could give a high dose to start with and decrease if it works.

Have to admit I have not tried this with the mare here. Worth a go if it could reduce her owners costs!

ghostie

Visit site
I swear by aloe vera too. The racehorse rehoming centres recommend between 60 and 100ml a day. I go with 60ml for prevention and it works well on my boy. I buy big vats online and syringe it in his mouth. I find yeasacc works extremely well alongside it

Queenbee

Visit site
slippery elm, dengie healthy tummy, look at situational/environmental factors, more turn out, less stress situation....

scots

Visit site
Living out also can help to reduce stress even if they look happy being in its not natural to reduce natural movement - mine has to be in at night and its only now I seeing symptoms

twinkle

Visit site
Hi have a mare that has had them 3 seperate times now.

How long did you have your horse on the gg as the second time I had to have her on a much longer dose of 3 months full dose then a month half dose and then slowly down.

I've worked the problem out with her now.

1 had to move yards to a VERY quiet yard and where she can't see the fields as get stressy in her stable when seeing the other horses out ( just something that sets her off) and its only if I used to get her in a bit earlier than them horses to ride etc

2 she had low grade pain somewhere else which was her back. I had had many vets look at her back and physio all to tell me nothing is wrong as she would some times no work as well as I no she can. I then got a unconventional vet who uses a scenar machine he did this treatment for two weeks solid on her back with some herbs and she was amazing I sent her to him on gg and she come home off of it she had grade 3 ulcers and was only two weeks into treatment.

I now maintain her on boswellia for her back but is also ment to have good affects on the tummy. And I have my horse back I sold my trailer as didn't think I would ever get back out as like you hadn't even been snywhere and she kept getting them. So have since got another one and we go to party's and she is doing really really well ridden wise now.

Like you my diet was spot on but I needed to change her environment which wasn't even bad was a quiet yard but just not for her.

And strongly see if she is in ANY pain any where else in her body and try and fix that and maybe that might help.

Good luck ulcers suck. And hated to see my girl suffering like she was she lost sooo much weight and just refused to eat.

soulfull

Visit site
Thanks. All
Living out isn't possible where I am
Twinkle. Thanks for the info. I had everything checked last month, all people I've found to be the best previously. Vet can't see any pain anywhere
However I suspect he wasn't treated long enough, only 4 wks full dose. 2 wks half. The scoped again (clear). But I wonder if the scope caused them to come back and only 1/4 dose for 2 wks after didn't clear them up. Fast forward 3 months and the
Steroids have caused them to get worse
Day 2 of GG and sill unhappy being tacked up. But happy enough being ridden , inc canter
Will be speaking to vet tomorrow

twinkle

Visit site
My mare don't live out ither. Yep I bet that's your prob not Long enough treatment wise. Was the reason I didn't tesco or to see if they had gone as the starving can cause them. No when she has them any way as her symptoms are very obvious. Hope you get her sorted