Red Bartsia in pasture

hairycob

Visit site
I have a lot of a plant I didn't recognise pop up in my paddock this summer and local wildlife page has suggested it is red bartsia which is a parasite on grass (not good). Anybody got any experience of dealing with it?

Pen

Visit site
Yes we've been plagued with it for years. When it first appeared we thought oh that's a pretty flower and we let it get a hold - big mistake because it spreads like wildfire and ever since we've been struggling to get rid of it. We only spray once a year with something like Headland Relay but that's not enough to get rid of the Bartsia so we hand pull it. Its not flowering here yet (sw Scotland) but I'm finding baby Bartsias and pulling them up daily. The funny thing is we don't know where it came from as its not on the land surrounding us afaik. Think it may have come in via seeds in bought in fodder.

hairycob

Visit site
Thanks. YO has a bit of Barrier H so we are going to test a patch with what's left of that. It looks like it's only in my paddocks at the moment & we want to make sure it doesn't spread.