Red bush tea (rooibos) for sweet itch

KautoStar1

Visit site
Who feeds this for their sweet itch horses and how do you feed it. As a tea liquid or just put the contents of the tea bag into their feeds.

cauda equina

Visit site
I did last year, 4 bags a day, the dry leaves just tipped into their feeds
It didn't seem to make any difference; maybe I wasn't giving them enough

Shay

Visit site
I grew up in SA. No-one suggested Rooibos was good for itches. It can be laxative though - if you drink enough.

Surbie

Visit site
I've had mine on 2 each of redbush and chamomile for over a month now and I don't think it makes the blindest difference. I tried it boiled and loose leaf. He does like it tho.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Not sweet itch but Granny gets itchy. Been doing rooibos and chamomile tea on her feed (leaves included)... don't think it's made a huge difference to be honest. She tucks in though so will keep giving it her til I run out... then will see how the itching is. If it gets worse I'll admit it was doing something.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Oh well I just wondered if anyone had any success with it. I thought it might be worth a try for the price of a box of tea bags. It won't harm if nothing else. I can't open the link as it's a closed group.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I’ve had MASSIVE success with it (&camomile)! Forgot to brew it for a few days & he was very itchy. Worth a try in my opinion.

I use two separate mugs for the teas. I rip open the tea bags in the morning, add full mug of hot water and leave to brew all day. I combine them in a big beaker to take down to the yard.

Horse only has one small meal a day to give supplements so I’ll make up two feeds for 2 days. Shake the beaker & whack it in the two feeds.

Hope this makes sense at how I brew it! Like I said, I’ve noticed a huge difference for my lad. Maybe I’m just lucky :)

KautoStar1

Visit site
I’ve had MASSIVE success with it (&camomile)! Forgot to brew it for a few days & he was very itchy. Worth a try in my opinion.

I use two separate mugs for the teas. I rip open the tea bags in the morning, add full mug of hot water and leave to brew all day. I combine them in a big beaker to take down to the yard.

Horse only has one small meal a day to give supplements so I’ll make up two feeds for 2 days. Shake the beaker & whack it in the two feeds.

Hope this makes sense at how I brew it! Like I said, I’ve noticed a huge difference for my lad. Maybe I’m just lucky :)

Have you fed it loose - as in dry tea straight from the bag ? Is brewing the tea the key ?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
KS-one thing that has led my mildly SI pony being in a rug from MArch-November is Tritec 14 fly spray. I know not everyone wants to use chemicals but its lovely seeing him out naked and having a full mane and tail again :)

I used both dry and brewd rooibos, didnt make a difference but its worth a try if it works for some.

JillA

Visit site
If you are in a community owners of SI horses you will find that there are as many remedies as horses almost - what works for one doesn't work for another. I had bloods of mine analysed for allergens because as he doesn't start itching until June I reckoned it couldn't be culicoides midge saliva. It threw up several, including culicoides and a couple of weeds I had never seen but also black fly which fit the profile. We had a serum made up for black fly and it helped but wasn't the whole answer, now I use anti histamines at a fairly high dose and that does help massively

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Have you fed it loose - as in dry tea straight from the bag ? Is brewing the tea the key ?

I’ve never fed it loose so I couldn’t comment on how it works. I do think brewing probably does make a difference as it allows the contents to sort of seap out? If that makes sense?😂

Surbie

Visit site

I did both brewed and dry. He does like it, it was cheap, and he can have it till the pack runs out. He is no longer very itchy at all, but I also started brewer's yeast and linseed at the same time. And was able to rug him again (removed from a rug-ripper's reach!).

The poll on the FB page has the following:

Brewed with good results +52
Dry leaves with good results +21
If good results have you stopped using a rug +17
Brewed with no noticeable benefit +11
Dry leaves with no noticeable benefit +10
If good results have you stopped using Antihistamines +5
If good results have you stopped using topical creams etc. +3
Started with dry and changed to brewed and got better results +1
Dry leaves with negative results 0 votes
Started with brewed and changed to dried and got better results 0 votes
Brewed with negative results 0 votes

Am not sure how many of the above have removed all the other things they were trying, to see whether it works on its own or in combination. Plus every horse seems to have a different reaction. :)