red horse products - help!

dottylottie

Visit site
so last time my farrier came out, diva had quite soft sensitive frogs - farrier said to spray with iodine to keep them clean and toughen them up. did as i was told and they seem much better, she’s far happier to have her feet picked out etc.

for ongoing maintenance i don’t want to keep using iodine, so had a look at red horse products, thinking the sole cleanse and the stronghorn - but the stronghorn seems to also be a disinfectant too?

anyone that has used a few of their products, please can you share what you use and when/why!

farrier also recommended kerratex because i specifically asked for suggestions for lilys cracks in her hooves, but i’d prefer not to put formaldehyde on my ponies tootsies!

ETA: she’s still a little madam to handle her feet, so i’d prefer something easy to spray over a paste that requires having her leg up for a period of time!

Last edited:

live2ride

Visit site
I use sole cleanse and artimud.

Spray daily with sole cleanse and pack once a week with artimud. Keeps on top of any thrush forming and that’s imo is what causes the soft/sensitive frogs

Esyllt

Visit site
I've used the sole cleanse and the field paste. They are pretty good. To be honest though, I now give them a wash out with a scrubby brush and some Dettol in water, and once they've dried a bit I give a good spray with the foot master spray I also use on the sheep. I do the clean before the farrier visit and the spray before they go back out, no problems so far (touches wood frantically!)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've used Red Horse products - sole cleanse, artimud, other things that I can't remember the names of (had a horse with awful abcess problems), and found them very good. I particularly like the sole cleanse spray, but I don't use every day; maybe twice a week.

Cloball

Visit site
D had a sensitive thrushy frog 3 weeks ago I used sole cleanse twice daily for a week and sole paint once daily then dropped to sole cleanse when I picked out feet and sole paste before going in the field two or three times a week and I think all her frogs and soles look so much better I will continue. Very impressed actually not many things live up to the hype imo.

dottylottie

Visit site
thankyou everyone! i think i’ll see how we get on with just the sole cleanse. on the whole they’ve both got brilliant feet, but i think the box rest has taken its toll - blame myself entirely for not even thinking about that and being more thorough to prevent it!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
ive used the sole cleanse, hoof hardener and sole paint. All very good stuff and i always keep some in my tack box.

Take a look at horseleads aswell they have the same products but cheaper and often a bigger bottle, also use them regularly very good stuff.

https://www.horseleads.co.uk/product-page/sole-saver-hoof-spray-combo , brill price for both products.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use Stronghold over winter when wet then sole cleanse in the drier months for maintenance.

I prefer Horse Leads clay over the Red Horse clay though, I think it has better staying power! I tend to use their version of sole cleanse over Red Horse's too.

dottylottie

Visit site
ive used the sole cleanse, hoof hardener and sole paint. All very good stuff and i always keep some in my tack box.

Take a look at horseleads aswell they have the same products but cheaper and often a bigger bottle, also use them regularly very good stuff.

https://www.horseleads.co.uk/product-page/sole-saver-hoof-spray-combo , brill price for both products.

I use Stronghold over winter when wet then sole cleanse in the drier months for maintenance.

I prefer Horse Leads clay over the Red Horse clay though, I think it has better staying power! I tend to use their version of sole cleanse over Red Horse's too.

this is the kind of feedback i like to see!! in that case i think i’ll opt for their version!

benz

Visit site
I have been using horse leads version of sole paint this year and have to say it’s really good, frogs stay quite hard and dry even though he’s out in the mud all day and it’s very quick and easy to apply (paint on with a brush which is provided). I use it a couple of times a week in the evening so it’s got time to soak in overnight before going in the muddy field for the day! I don’t usually wash the frog before applying just give it a really good pick out and brush to get the worst of muck off and give them a wash with Milton solution every now and then.

dottylottie

Visit site
thanks everyone! i’ve ordered the horseleads sole cleanse, they’ve got a few weeks before the farrier is back out so we’ll see how we get on!