Red ribbon needed?

Starbucks

Visit site
I've hunted Badger from being a 6yo, he's now 12 and decided to kick out at a horse for the first time the other day. :(

It was a one legged cow kick type thing rather than a full on double barrel, but he made contact.. not a nice sound! :( Horse was fine though, thank god! I don't carry a whip (quite bad I know) but quickly grabbed one off someone and gave him a couple. I hate it when peoples horses kick out and they just sit there as if it's the other persons fault and I'm pretty sure he knew what it was relating to!

I'm wondering if he needs a red ribbon or if I should give him the benefit of the doubt? It was VERY muddy, muddy tails and lots of stamping going on, but then he does seem to be getting increasingly grumpy in his old age r.e. pulling faces and trying to bite anyone who's not his mate, who to be fair is everyone apart from his stable/field buddy. :p

Hunt with the Meynell who seem to have a bit of overkill with the red ribbons.

Thoughts? :-\

Rosie Round The Hills

Visit site
I'm guessing you already know the answer really, sorry.

Yes - you do need to put a red ribbon on now. He's done it once, and might do it again - and next time he may do some serious damage to a horse, or a rider. And you need to take responsibility for keeping him out of the way too.

He sounds like he is getting more grumpy with crowds than he used to be - perhaps a bit of space will help?

Starbucks

Visit site
I don't mind, best to be safe than sorry.

He didn't even kick out where you'd expect a horse to kick out! We'd just cantered down a big field, there weren't many out, pulled up and the heard the dreaded sound! :( So not sure how I'd give him more space in that situation? He's never kicked on crowded tracks/at meets etc. even if people nudge his bum or bump into him. But I'm now much more aware in those situations. Would make everyone else more aware with a ribbon I guess.

I'm not willing to subject myself to the back of the back just yet.. not that we'd stay there long! :p

JenHunt

Visit site
I agree, put a red ribbon in. He may have been run into, or just been feeling grumpy - who knows, but at least you're giving others fair warning.

One of our masters hunts a horse with a red ribbon is for exactly the same reason. He's usually at the front, and he's explained to those of us who are normally up behind him why he's put a ribbon in; the horse has never done it before or since, and it's been supposed that he only kicked out the once as someone went running up his backside having no control/not been paying attention and horse made his objection known!

Starbucks

Visit site
Thanks, as I said red ribbons aren't are uncommon in our hunt so won't have to feel too bad!

Best get the electricians tape out then! ;)

VOM

Visit site
I take it that in the six years you have hunted him its been on a regular basis not just a few times a season, so he's had plenty of mileage and isn't a kicker. Ok he kicked out the other day but personally unless he gets worse I wouldn't put a ribbon in.

It actually annoys me when people put a red ribbon in then don't stay at the back, why should I have to worry about getting too close.

Last edited:

Starbucks

Visit site
I take it that in the six years you have hunted him its been on a regular basis not just a few times a season, so he's had plenty of mileage and isn't a kicker. Ok he kicked out the other day but personally unless he gets worse I wouldn't put a ribbon in.

It actually annoys me when people put a red ribbon in then don't stay at the back, why should I have to worry about getting too close.

Yes, pretty much once a week for 3 seasons, fairly frequently the others apart from last season when he only got out 3 times due to injury.

I know what you mean, well kind of. Seams different with current hunt to previous hunt. it's a difficult one!

lauraandjack

Visit site
It's a difficult one. Especially if your horse has only done it once. But if he is becoming grumpier, maybe better safe than sorry?

Having had my poor horse be a target for kickers last season (through no fault of his own I might add) I have developed a paraniod hatred for other people's foot waving horses!

There are a number of people who hunt with us who put a red ribbon in their horse's tail yet make NO effort to keep it away from the other horses. A red ribbon is a warning to other riders, not a ticket for the person on the kicker to do as they please and expect others to avoid them, if someone has any doubt at all about their horse's trustworthiness then they should do their utmost to keep it away from trouble at all times.

VOM

Visit site
A red ribbon is a warning to other riders, not a ticket for the person on the kicker to do as they please and expect others to avoid them, if someone has any doubt at all about their horse's trustworthiness then they should do their utmost to keep it away from trouble at all times.

Agree totally. Went out with a different pack last week and one lady did this she kept popping up infront of me which was a pain. In the end I just asked her if it were more of a precaution which it was and we were fine after that. I suppose she was a regular and I wasn't. Really nice lady actually.

Starbucks have you been out since? How did you get on?

*Actually it's only been a couple of days let us know how you get on.*

Last edited:

amage

Visit site
I would have thought that given that he is not known to be a kicker and it happened when pulling up from a canter maybe get him an mot and see is he 100% or is there a little bit of pain annoying him...perhaps the kick was at pain rather than the other horse?!?

TwoPair

Visit site
I was hunting a couple of weeks ago and there was a rider on a horse with a red ribbon (and this was definitely NOT a precautionary red ribbon, judging by the behaviour it displayed.) yet as we left the meet, said rider and horse cut straight in front of me to push to the front of the field! Things like that do annoy me - as someone else said, a red ribbon is not your ticket to do as you please. I have one that hunts with a red ribbon, not because he kicks, but because he bucks. Inevitably, people get too close (he has even managed to catch someone despite having his tail taped UP with red!). He got the reputation as a kicker, which initially upset me, as he's not. But I hunted him regularly, and actually, one of the masters said he turned into 'a really smart hunting pony'. It became known that he needed to vent his energy for the first 20minutes, and then he'd be fine. In that situation, people didn't mind if I was mid-field or at the front.

As for yours, give him the benefit of the doubt, but if you even vaguely suspect someone's coming near put your hand behind your back. IF he kicks again, or makes an attempt to, then red ribbon him.

VoR

Visit site
God, this'll sound like AA, I have a horse that has been known to kick! There that's out of the way:) When he did it it was sickening tbh and I even considered never hunting him again albeit that horses and riders were fine. Having said that, he hasn't kicked out for quite a while now (fingers crossed), I do, however, still use red tape because he has done it and could do it again.

I keep to the back of the field and thankfully he's quite happy to be there, I also try to anticipate what is happening so that, if we are turning back down a narrow track or something similar I'm already moving before the field and looking for a gap to duck in to to let them pass. All the regulars know the boy and like the fact he's a grumpy old S!d like me :eek: BUT there are a few things which, despite all my efforts as the rider of a 'kicker' (grrr hate that term, feels like he's condemned and second rate, which he isn't!), get my goat constantly;

1/. People plodding along when the field master is moving off at speed so we end up getting left behind, then when I kick on to catch up and get past them;
2/. those that were plodding come up behind me and get right up his rear end and;
3/. When stood in plenty of space, people who will insist on riding right across his back end giving me and more importantly themselves some room.

I try to take my responsibility to everyone else very seriously, sometimes I feel that others don't consider him and me!

hunting mad

Visit site
I red ribbon my sons horse out hunting.
We have had him nearly 2 years and he has kicked out twice.Each time same horse and rider.Said horse 17hh,and rider very loud ,as deaf!
Some one asked why i had red taped him,so i explained,and they told me i was admitting liability,not taking responsibility!!!:confused:
Op,maybe your horse was run into,hence why he kicked.It amazes me how many people do this and let their horses sniff another ones hind quarters.....asking for trouble.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Bearing in mind Badger has done nothing of the sort in the past but would definately try and keep his back end away from others and put your hand up behind your back when appropriate, if he shows any warning signs in the future then definately red ribbbon! Was having similar thoughts about my mare, she is completely un-agressive but we got into a situation a couple of weeks ago on a narrow bridleway when hounds turned back and streamed past us, a horse beside me was jumping about, i tried to get her out of the way but she lashed out sideways, kicking a hound (at first the worst was thought but it is apparently recovering). Hope Badger behaves in future! :)