red worm resitance maybe

kylee86

Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all my 14 month old colt still has small red worm i have had problems with worms ever since i bought him at 10months old, he came with pin worms that took months to get rid of he has now some how managed to pick up red worm that are visable in his poo he was given a double dose of strongridp 5 weeks ago after seeing the red worm in his poo last week they were still red worms wriggling in his fresh poo so the vets gave me equest to give him she said give him a bit more than he should have he weighted 375kg so i treated him at 400kg. a week later he is still pooing out wriggling red worms. does this mean he has picked up red worms that are resistant to the wormers if so how can i get rid of them

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Your vet is already dealing with this & should be updated regarding the current situation. He should be able to advise you what is happening & the course of treatment you need to follow.

kylee86

Visit site
vets just seem to throw wormers at him left right and centre and nothing is being resolved in 5 months he has had
3 courses of panacur 5day
2 courses of equest
1 equest pramox
1 double dose of strongrid p

Izzwizz

Visit site
Why not speak to Westgate Labs for another perspective on the situation. See if they agree with your Vets course of action. Google them for their contact details.

Poor little lad, hope you get to the bottom of it.

kylee86

Visit site
thankyou i will look them up now as i think throwing wormer after wormer at him is pointless his field is poo picked every day he is in his own paddock other horse has negative count

Cahill

Visit site
i was told the only thing to get rid of them was the panacur 5day guard.they migrate nov and march i think.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I agree with you there. He's had some strong stuff as in the Equest thrown at him so it may well be that they can suggest something else. His guts must be made of iron!

kylee86

Visit site
i no hes had a lot of wormer and every time my vet suggests another wormer a cringe and have 48 hour watch over him incase he colics some thing needs to happen as the wormer his going to course more damage than the worms themselfs