Redpost equestrian

SilverLinings

Visit site
The staff are lovely (I go once or twice a year when visiting my parents) and really helpful, but I miss the old shop. The new one is modern and much more open and organised, but the old one (it was in the barn/shed they now use for feed storage) was a real rabbit warren with that proper ingrained tack shop/leather smell that only comes after a few decades- it reminded me of how most tack shops used to be and I miss it. I understand why they built the new premises though, especially as a member of staff told me they had quite a problem with shop lifting of smaller items, and the old shop had lots of hidden corners. I don't buy a lot online, but I have heard nothing but positive things about their mail order service too.

If anyone is down that way (South Devon) then the saddlers Leonard Coombe in Newton Abbot is great to, and also has lovely staff. As a generalisation, they are more inclined to traditional-style stock (sell showing tack and cater for the hunting community clothing-wise), whereas Redpost leans more towards the modern (Le mieux, Flexars, Pikeur etc). Leonard Coombe has been going for over 100yrs and still has a master saddler on site who can do alterations and repairs as well as new fittings. When the business started the main part of their trade was making and repairing harness for working horses (farm, trade and transport) in the local area.

Puzzled

Visit site
I’ve recently used Leonard Coombe and found the customer service excellent too. Likewise, Redpost have also been very easy to deal with when I have ordered from them.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’m local to that area and also fondly remember Redpost and Leonard Coombe as they were - Redpost had a huge mound of stuff, rugs, numnahs etc on the floor in the middle of the barn which you could root through, it was cold and scruffy and the staff really knew their stuff… this would have been in the late 90’s. Leonard Coombe had the amazing leather smell too (and also a ghost at the back of the building, but that is now presumably in Asda as LC was rebuilt a few metres down the road).

SilverLinings

Visit site
I’m local to that area and also fondly remember Redpost and Leonard Coombe as they were - Redpost had a huge mound of stuff, rugs, numnahs etc on the floor in the middle of the barn which you could root through, it was cold and scruffy and the staff really knew their stuff… this would have been in the late 90’s. Leonard Coombe had the amazing leather smell too (and also a ghost at the back of the building, but that is now presumably in Asda as LC was rebuilt a few metres down the road).
It's a shame they now feel like any other shop. I don't know of any tack shops that are still the old fashioned sort, I haven't seen one since Redpost changed.

paddy555

Visit site
It's a shame they now feel like any other shop. I don't know of any tack shops that are still the old fashioned sort, I haven't seen one since Redpost changed.
so do either of you remember Z George in Ashburton? That really was an experience.

SilverLinings

Visit site
so do either of you remember Z George in Ashburton? That really was an experience.
I was taken there once as quite a young child by a kind very elderly (and very horsey) neighbour. I only have vague memories and they are more about how the shop felt and smelt. As a child and teenager I also remember lovely old tack shops (the sort with wooden fixtures and fittings worn with age, and a pervasive leather smell) in Bushey, Watford, several in Gloucestershire, Oxford (the covered market), Reading, and in Highworth. Also one in Wiltshire butI can't remember which town. We moved around a lot, and although my parents weren't horsey as it was pre-internet they were forced to take me to the nearest tack shop whenever I outgrew my johds/boots/hat!

If I magically acquired millions then I think I'd design and fit out my tackroom in the style of one of the posher old tack shops, tidy but crammed with useful bits and with purpose made shelves and racks for everything😊

humblepie

Visit site
I was taken there once as quite a young child by a kind very elderly (and very horsey) neighbour. I only have vague memories and they are more about how the shop felt and smelt. As a child and teenager I also remember lovely old tack shops (the sort with wooden fixtures and fittings worn with age, and a pervasive leather smell) in Bushey, Watford, several in Gloucestershire, Oxford (the covered market), Reading, and in Highworth. Also one in Wiltshire butI can't remember which town. We moved around a lot, and although my parents weren't horsey as it was pre-internet they were forced to take me to the nearest tack shop whenever I outgrew my johds/boots/hat!

If I magically acquired millions then I think I'd design and fit out my tackroom in the style of one of the posher old tack shops, tidy but crammed with useful bits and with purpose made shelves and racks for everything😊
In the 1960/70s there was a saddlery shop in Broad Street in Swindon. It might have been that. Really trying to remember the name of the saddler. There was also a Harry Hall clothing stockist in another part of Swindon. It was pretty much only Harry Hall.

Spotherisk

Visit site

No,but more recently the old Tuckers still had a decent secondhand section and treasures in every corner. Town and Country was always worth a trip out to Honiton before they built a big modern place and got boring!

I bought a very old pair of Schneider boots in the saddlery in Plymouth probably over thirty years ago. They were amazing boots despite not having been at all cared for and won me many an admiring compliment ‘oh you have a wonderful leg on a horse’! Well I certainly did not, the boots dictated how my legs hung!

SilverLinings

Visit site
In the 1960/70s there was a saddlery shop in Broad Street in Swindon. It might have been that. Really trying to remember the name of the saddler. There was also a Harry Hall clothing stockist in another part of Swindon. It was pretty much only Harry Hall.
I think you might be right about Swindon as that was the town we were nearest to at the time.
No,but more recently the old Tuckers still had a decent secondhand section and treasures in every corner. Town and Country was always worth a trip out to Honiton before they built a big modern place and got boring!

I bought a very old pair of Schneider boots in the saddlery in Plymouth probably over thirty years ago. They were amazing boots despite not having been at all cared for and won me many an admiring compliment ‘oh you have a wonderful leg on a horse’! Well I certainly did not, the boots dictated how my legs hung!
Town and Country went down hill big time when it sold out to Countrywide, and then it closed down a couple of years later. East Devon has lost a lot of tack shops in the last 10-20yrs.
I remember Henry Bowers and Jasper Highets saddleries in Colyton/Colyford? But that was in the mid 90's. Don't think they are trading anymore.

Have always had good service from Redpost.
I remember Jasper Highets! Went out there a couple of times for a riding hat as a teenager as I had an awkward head and they sold a good range at the time. I haven't heard anything about it for years so I had assumed they had closed. Just googled his name and it came up with this:

The old Wychanger was quite good too, although less stock than the others as I think they've always prioritised selling online and at shows. I went to their new showroom in Taunton once shortly after it opened and found it soulless (and a pain to get to) so haven't been back. I have bought from them at shows though.

Does anyone actually know of any traditional-style tackshops (old business in an old building, lots of wood and leather, proper smell etc) still in operation in the UK?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
A girl called Tracey used to work at Redpost when it was primarily a feed merchant. I’d bought my first horse, a horse I’d longed for all my life, but it didn’t settle well and developed a very serious URTI. The vet, Mr Arnold, cured the infection but he wouldn’t eat no matter what I offered him. After a couple of weeks of watching helplessly as the horse faded away I went to Redpost as a last resort before PTS and asked Tracey if she could think of anything that might tempt him to eat again. She said it was difficult to pull them back after they had declined that far but I could try Balance Show Mix because it was soft and very sweet. He ate it and turned the corner. They used to do Friday evening clear round too. I think it was £3 a pop and was good craic. I found a beautifully tailored vintage Keepers Tweed at Tuckers second hand corner for £40 that fits me as if it were bespoke. Leonard Coombe was great for all things horse but had a truly terrible saddle fitter.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Clippersharp (Culmstock) used to sell some quite good second hand stuff (small range though), but their FB page for that side of the business hasn't been active since 2022 so I don't know if they still do. There's a second hand place in Cullompton too but not sure what that's like.

I'd forgotten, but when I was a child quite a lot of tackshops used to have a rail of outgrown second hand children's johds, whereas not many businesses seem to mix old and new anymore. I wonder if environmental awareness will make it fashionable again at some point.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
We have 3 old skool saddlery’s in Somerset - Pophams, Murphy’s and Garretts. All still owned by same families. They smell like Tackshops and are small and cluttered as you hope.

SilverLinings

Visit site
We have 3 old skool saddlery’s in Somerset - Pophams, Murphy’s and Garretts. All still owned by same families. They smell like Tackshops and are small and cluttered as you hope.
I hadn't heard of any of those, I will have to pop in when I'm next in the area 🙂

Spotherisk

Visit site
A girl called Tracey used to work at Redpost when it was primarily a feed merchant. I’d bought my first horse, a horse I’d longed for all my life, but it didn’t settle well and developed a very serious URTI. The vet, Mr Arnold, cured the infection but he wouldn’t eat no matter what I offered him. After a couple of weeks of watching helplessly as the horse faded away I went to Redpost as a last resort before PTS and asked Tracey if she could think of anything that might tempt him to eat again. She said it was difficult to pull them back after they had declined that far but I could try Balance Show Mix because it was soft and very sweet. He ate it and turned the corner. They used to do Friday evening clear round too. I think it was £3 a pop and was good craic. I found a beautifully tailored vintage Keepers Tweed at Tuckers second hand corner for £40 that fits me as if it were bespoke. Leonard Coombe was great for all things horse but had a truly terrible saddle fitter.
They recommended Balanced Feeds to me when I got my first horse too. Just really helpful people.