Reducing bit severity on horse with gum issues - opinions?

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Hi, been lurking here for a while & the advice is so good I thought I'd get some opinions on bitting.
I've recently taken on a friend's pony while she is at college. The pony is lovely, but with her owner has always had a few issues - she's highly sensitive, has a high head carriage & a tendency to raise her head when reluctant to do something, which leads to rearing if not ridden in a sensitive way. This year she was diagnosed with gum disease, which explains a lot of her behaviour. She will be receiving treatment this summer & possibly having teeth removed.
Not knowing about the gum disease, her owner went along the gadget route & the pony wears a running martingale, flash noseband & a gag (not sure of name but def not dutch). Understandably, the pony is not happy in this. She will work well in it, but she feels tense.
I've been given a free rein to re-school her & get rid of the gadgets, but not sure how to go about downgrading her bit. Should I go straight back to a basic snaffle in the school & keep the gag for hacking until I'm confident in the change or be more gradual?
Any advice gratefully received :)

Jennyharvey

Visit site
I think that for a horse with gum disease, the best bet would be to train her bitless. It might be worth looking into it, and getting help to reschool her this way. We cant begin to imagine the pain that this horse would go through by being bitted.
Perhaps when the issues are resolved, then try her in a mild bit again.

teddyt

Visit site
Assess her mouth conformation and then choose a bit accordingly. Consider wrapping the mouthpiece of the bit you choose in latex bandage wrap to cushion the bars of the mouth. This still keeps the bit thin in the mouth and is also much softer than nylon or rubber bits.

Generally my preference is for double jointed bits and less is more:). If the horse still has pain or discomfort from the disease though then it is questionable about using a bit at all. If you do go bitless then the horse has to be trained accordingly, dont expect her to understand straight away.

With regards to schooling, try to use your seat and legs as much as possible for steering and stopping. She may need to be trained to respond to your weight aids if she is used to being pulled to stop/steer.

Good luck

joy

Visit site
Go bitless, my horse has a bone spur in his lower jaw awaiting removal, he is in a Dr Cooks for sj and xc but can tolerate an Informed Designs mullen mouth for the 5 mins he has to spend in the dressage arena.
Even when the bone spur has been removed his bitting/bridling will remain the same.

dieseldog

Visit site
I would look at swapping from a running martingale to a standing. Running martingale will have an affect on her mouth and gums, a standing works on the nose, might be nicer for her.

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Yes, been told the pain is like having a constant headache :(
I have a hackamore I could try - would putting the pressure elsewhere cause pain in another way? Is a hackamore another harsh choice? Is it worth getting a good. instructor involved if I go bitless? I've not ridden without a bit in a long time.
She responds well to leg & weight aids, like a mind reader! So will stick to this, she's very clear when she's unhappy.
I dislike single joints too, trying to get away from them.
Really keen to get her comfortable, as she's such a nice mare. Has boosted my confidence in my riding!

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Thanks for the advice! Sorry pastie didn't see your post - she's moved yards a few times & two dentists have been involved. Have been told its ok to ride & with all the moves & time off she's become dangerously fat (though getting much better now this is able to be controlled on current yard) I've deliberately taken it slowly & will keep her in light work. Any sign that its too much & I will stop, but I believe the tack is partly to blame.

Tnavas

Visit site
If you can find an unjointed Baucher that would keep the bit very still in the mouth and also even the pressure across the whole mouth.

I agree that a standing martingale is far kinder than a running as it works ono the nose rather than the mouth (running).

I'd also have her back & poll checked - raising the head and tension are also signs of discomfort. Also have saddle fit checked too.

Until the gum disease has been sorted a very basic bitless would possibly work. I'd be careful of using any type of cross over as this would put pressure on the cheeks where there could also be gum disease.

Alternatively a holiday for pony would be good while the gums are healing. Then start work again once she is pain free.

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Thanks everyone, the holiday is appealing to me now. As she hasn't responded to my riding the way she does to her owner, maybe I'm being lulled into false sense of security?
Sounds like best option might be time off, then look at bitless & other options later. Standing martingale is a good idea, too.
Does anyone see a problem with lungeing in a headcollar to help get the rest of the weight off? She's in during the day & fed soaked hay - she's no longer scary fat, but still a way to go!
Thanks again everyone!

Tnavas

Visit site
Thanks everyone, the holiday is appealing to me now. As she hasn't responded to my riding the way she does to her owner, maybe I'm being lulled into false sense of security?
Sounds like best option might be time off, then look at bitless & other options later. Standing martingale is a good idea, too.
Does anyone see a problem with lungeing in a headcollar to help get the rest of the weight off? She's in during the day & fed soaked hay - she's no longer scary fat, but still a way to go!
Thanks again everyone!

While the gums are sore the headcollar may cause discomfort with the pull of the lunge line.
Do you have a round pen or an enclosed area where you can free work her? My mare is overweight at the moment and is steadily losing the weight by stabling at night and just oout by day. I don't soak hay as I honestly don't think it truly makes a difference but she gets only one slice of meadow hay at night in a haynet with small holes - it keeps her busy all night.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
time off completely as she won't be able to concentrate at all with a sore mouth, and then go bitless :) There are so many bitless variations, but with a sore mouth, I would maybe try an english hackamore, as this uses poll pressure, as opposed to other sorts that wrap round the head or pull on either side. Just a thought, but any may suit :)

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
We have a school, so I could try loose schooling. Do you work on same principles as lungeing, using voice commands & body language to send on & bring back?
I find soaking hay works really well for our Welsh pony. Figured soaking will soften the hay & make it more pleasant to eat - she used to leave hay in her net.

Jennyharvey

Visit site
We have a school, so I could try loose schooling. Do you work on same principles as lungeing, using voice commands & body language to send on & bring back?
I find soaking hay works really well for our Welsh pony. Figured soaking will soften the hay & make it more pleasant to eat - she used to leave hay in her net.

Yes, when loose schooling, use your voice aids and body language, same as with lunging. Best of luck with her.