Refund policy for BE? (brightling)

pearcider

Visit site
Hi all. Unfortunately due to a little accident I've ended up in hospital. I've then been told I can't ride for a month. Does anyone know how possible it is to get a refund for brightening? I had 3 horses entered 1 90, 1 100 and 21 1 star so obviously an expensive wd?

Any idea would help obviously I can get doc Certs etc

Ta in advance x

TiaPony

Visit site
If they replace your entry then you should be refunded minus £12 admin. They have a waitlist for the 90 - not sure about the other classes.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

oldywoldy

Visit site
I would contact BE and explain the situation and keep your fingers crossed. Get a doctors cert you will get refunded if there is a waiting list but not necessarily otherwise.

FireFly29

Visit site
I was in a similar situation recently but I was on a waitlist, I got money back minus £12. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get a refund with a doctor's note or vet certificate?

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Doc note makes no difference nor does a vet cert!

Basically it comes down to the individual secretary and whether there is a wait list. If you are replaced you get your entry back minus anything up to £12. Some refund everything!

If no wait list it up to the individual sec/organiser but if past ballot date (which presuming it is) you're not guaranteed any refund at all!

Get well soon though sounds painful!

pearcider

Visit site
Thanks everyone 4 broken ribs and a tear in my liver just from tripping over while leading a horse... Silly really when I event! Off riding for 4-6 weeks which is a b***** but I guess it could have been worse :)

I hope there are some interesting threads on h h to keep me occupied while I'm in hospital!

TEEPOT

Visit site
Hi - I also had to withdraw. If they have a waitlist and they replace you, then you will get refunded minus the admin fee. I was luckily enough to get a refund.

Contact the Entries Secretary Sarah Robinson, she was really hellpful.

Nicnac

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Pearcider. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I know this question about refund policies has been banged on about for eons, but isn't it time that BE refunded on Doctor's and Vet's certificates minus the £12 entry fee?

I thought they did :confused: (although haven't read the rule book for a while!)

TEEPOT

Visit site
I think it's a disgrace they wont refund on a Vet cert/Doc cert. If a horse is unwell, lame etc and you have a vet cert to prove that I can't see what the issue is. Really bugs me. I had to withdraw due to a leg issue this year and I had a vet cert and all I got was a NO response in an email from the secretary. Ridiculous.

pearcider

Visit site
I hope I get at least some refund I think them keeping £400 of entries is a little harsh on me! I shall call the sec and let you all know. I consider brightling to be a lovely event so would hope so.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I can see both sides. If half the entries withdraw in the last week (unlikely but not impossible) due to a country wide equine illness for which every horse has a vets cert and the event were forced to pay a refund the event would run at a serious loss as their insurance almost certainly would not cover them. several equine insurance policies do though cover entry fees so the rider could claim back (presuming they have such cover)

Look at it another way if you broke your leg and were going on an adventure holiday you would not expect the holiday company to refund you even with a Drs note. You would claim back on your insurance which you had taken out. Why should an event take the risk when in other industries they wouldn't?

My bugbear is events that don't hold waitlists or insufficient waitlists. Yes not all events will receive enough entries for one in which case that's fine but when an event ballots say 40+ riders but only puts 10 on the waitlist and then boasts later that all entries off the waitlist were excepted it isn't fair especially when late withdrawals then don't get replaced as some balloted riders weren't waitlisted as the waitlist was 'full'

I've withdrawn from 4 events this season due to various reasons and have been lucky to have had refunds from 3 and the 4th secretary was extremely helpful and did say if I could find someone to take my spot I could have a refund but I couldn't and having withdrawn only a few days before the event I did expect to lose my money!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Ouch!! Poor you.

As above, they don't necessarily HAVE to do anything for you but I always think it's worth pulling out all the sympathy stops in situations like this!

On another note, I think you're in my part of the world, aren't you? If you need a hand with anything just drop me a note. I know what it's like to be crunched with a barn full of horses so would be happy to help if you're stuck.

pearcider

Visit site
Tarr steps thank you I'm covered at the moment although could you recommend some one to sit on a youngster for me at mine first time before I let my WP on her. She has previously been up doing dressage etc then had time off due to stud collapsing she is now back in work unplanned to get on her this week. Think she will be fine but don't want to risk it. I've emailed southerly in case she is free if you can recommend any one else around m25 j10 that would be great. This is nit ideal bit has made me realise how many lovely people I know :)

Brightling- I've called them and they can fi the 1 star and 90 space so that's good news. I too can see both sides but do feel there shod be some kind of clause as to having a lot of entries. But can't rely think of one now! At least they were most helpful and I'm
Not too out of pocket

pearcider

Visit site
Tarrsteps my phone is being 'special' I can't reply to ur pm could u pm me your mobile number or find me on fb my email is sez119@hotmail.com. She's 15.2 would be great if u could do it. Would be lovely to meet u or do I know you feel like I do??!! :) thanks I'm out

pearcider

Visit site
Silly phone!! I'm out of hospital hopefully on Saturday but can't ride for at least a month ( or only a month if I can help it) so u starting my girl and another one for a livery would be great :) I'll watch and supply the tea!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it's a disgrace they wont refund on a Vet cert/Doc cert. If a horse is unwell, lame etc and you have a vet cert to prove that I can't see what the issue is. Really bugs me. I had to withdraw due to a leg issue this year and I had a vet cert and all I got was a NO response in an email from the secretary. Ridiculous.

Totally agree with this. If you have proof you cannot compete for doc/vet reasons, they should definately refund. You're not getting the chance to compete afterall!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
When k fell off at Milton Keynes and fractured her tib and fib she was medically suspended by BE and we still couldn't get a refund for an event, despite her being replaced! I know she was as I kept lists of entries at the time of withdrawal and compared to start lists she was clearly replaced.......

pearcider

Visit site
Sounds like I was lucky with brightling then as they were v accommodating

Queen bee sounds great I'll be the tea lady for the next month then. I may also start cleaning loads of tack!!!