Refusing to move in the school

CBJack

Visit site
I bought an ex-racer at the start of April passed a 5* vetting. Last raced a year ago, was turned away over the summer and then bought by previous owner for retraining in October. Due to a them getting an injury they couldn't ride and he was then just used on hacks/ hunts and very occasionally schooling.
I tried him in a school before buying him and he was fine.
We didn't get a saddle until mid May so he had 6 weeks of lunging and long reining.
We got a saddle and had 2 weeks of really enjoyable work in the arena - a dream ride.
Then about 5/6 weeks ago he twisted a shoe on his front and it was fixed the next day.
Ever since he has refused to move under saddle at all. Just plants his feet and threatens to rear. He will lunge with tack on.
He also refused (until this week) to let anyone lift his left hind.
Vets did x-rays on his back and hind and lameness tests, everything came back fine (although they couldn't get a flexion test on the left hind) The physio has said he had soreness in his tuber cocyx but has worked with him and the soreness has lifted.
He has had 4 weeks off work with Bute.
Came back to work today and still refusing to move under saddle in the school and threatening to rear. Not even a step forward - but again he will lunge. The only difference is I was able to hack him down our lane today.

People have told me it's naughtiness and I should have the fight in the school but I'm not sure. He's been so consistent with his symptoms. Also he is the sweetest horse I've ever known and was going like a dream. Any ideas on what to try would be much appreciated!

bonny

Visit site
If your sure he is sound and not in pain could you stay out of the school and just hack for a few weeks?
This, maybe he’s just trying to tell you he hates doing circles in the school. Maybe try and take him out and have fun ?

magicmoments

Visit site
I bought an ex-racer at the start of April passed a 5* vetting. Last raced a year ago, was turned away over the summer and then bought by previous owner for retraining in October. Due to a them getting an injury they couldn't ride and he was then just used on hacks/ hunts and very occasionally schooling.
I tried him in a school before buying him and he was fine.
We didn't get a saddle until mid May so he had 6 weeks of lunging and long reining.
We got a saddle and had 2 weeks of really enjoyable work in the arena - a dream ride.
Then about 5/6 weeks ago he twisted a shoe on his front and it was fixed the next day.
Ever since he has refused to move under saddle at all. Just plants his feet and threatens to rear. He will lunge with tack on.
He also refused (until this week) to let anyone lift his left hind.
Vets did x-rays on his back and hind and lameness tests, everything came back fine (although they couldn't get a flexion test on the left hind) The physio has said he had soreness in his tuber cocyx but has worked with him and the soreness has lifted.
He has had 4 weeks off work with Bute.
Came back to work today and still refusing to move under saddle in the school and threatening to rear. Not even a step forward - but again he will lunge. The only difference is I was able to hack him down our lane today.

People have told me it's naughtiness and I should have the fight in the school but I'm not sure. He's been so consistent with his symptoms. Also he is the sweetest horse I've ever known and was going like a dream. Any ideas on what to try would be much appreciated!
I would put money on there being a physical issue somewhere, it's just finding it. Obviously you've made a start, but to my mind he's trying to tell you something, and you need to listen. Having said that if he was happy to hack, could you not try a little more of that, as it is easier than school work, and see if it gives you any more answers. A lameness workup would also be worth doing. I'm sure there's plenty more experienced posters who will give you their wisdom in due course.

CBJack

Visit site
Thanks, I have very limited hacking, literally just 2 mins down a lane and back which is the issue. But I will try doing that this week and see if there is a difference.
I am wondering if there is any pain still but he has no lameness, swelling, heat or physical discomfort anywhere.

MuffettMischief

Visit site
Might be worth checking saddle fit again. Maybe it’s bedded in a bit and is tight somewhere. If he’ll happily hack, try hacking for a couple of weeks and having some no pressure fun. Maybe hack and then get back and just have a walk and trot round school for 5 mins to keep it short and sweet. If he absolutely won’t go In the school then it might be a pain issue that’s only bothering him in the school. Circles/surface in particular making something hurt

honetpot

Visit site
Our old TB had a punctured sole, treated no abscess, but he seemed to anticipate pain. Sound in the field, no pain on hoof test by the vet, but if he thought he had to do work, he threw a sickie. So I just kept him buted for a couple of weeks and gradually extended his work, then dropped the bute, and he was fine. If he is hacking he has more to interest him, whereas in the school, he is perhaps is trying to avoid pain. I would get the vet to prescribe him some bute, so you know its not likely to be pain related and try him out on a flat even surface, where he is certain of his footing, outside the school with a hacking companion and she if you can modify his behaviour before you spend loads of money on expensive tests.

millikins

Visit site
I wouldn't rule out pain or remembered pain but he is a young horse, used to a life of racing, hacking and hunting with minimal school work and now he has minimal hacking, mainly schooling with a new person and a new yard. You also indicate there is little company for you, not sure about him. I think 3 months is probably a perfect amount of time for him to settle in a bit and down tools.
I'd suggest boxing him up for some decent hacks, preferably with company and see if he's still sticky.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Which front shoe came off? Is it the one opposite to the hind leg he is reluctant to lift?

Yes it is

Then I would start from the position that twisting the shoe has caused an injury in that leg which hasn't been found yet, which has made him reluctant to load that leg by picking up the opposite hind, since the two things happened at the same time.

ETA i would also consider that the refusal to lift the back leg might indicate that the twisted shoe was caused by an incident in the field which has caused a strain in that hind leg.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The horse is in pain for sure .
And the most logical place to look is the leg he won’t lift .
You need him back to the vet .
Perhaps a different one .

Last edited: