Regional Variations!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Just thought I'd share something i've noticed since moving the huge distance of 40 miles, to Essex
wink.gif

The bizarre variation in names/language/terms to describe things. Anyone else noticed this? Not necessarily just about Essex, but overall.

Ok, I'll start you off.

Kent: Shavings. Essex: Chippings
Kent: Sand School Essex: Menage
Kent: Bring horses in Essex: Pull horses in

smile.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Perhaps it's just Essex?
crazy.gif

At least all the way up Norf 'ere in Cumbria we call them shavings and bring our horses in. Only difference is I call the sand school an arena, but that's probably just me
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Quarrybank

Visit site
I've not noticed TBH. I'm from Essex & would say Shavings & bring horse in but would say either menage or arena!!! & have never heard anyone say pull horses in.
Maybe it's localised to where you are
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I've moved south to way up north and there are so many variations! Can't think of any horsey ones right now but I'm sure there are loads!

Actually- one of them... everywhere else I have lived a horsebox would be a horsebox or a lorry, up here they are 'wagons'?!
grin.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
I've noticed this before too! (but just not in essex.) Shavings are shavings, we ride in a school, and I catch my horses in. Another one people always do differently is like a slice of hay my friends either call it a cake/biscuit of hay - any other confectionary names for a slice of hay - anyone?

Shrimp

Visit site
I say shavings and bring horses in but I dont think i've called the arena a 'sand school'!
Izt: More often than not I call our horsebox a wagon so it must just be a northern thing?!
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I say shavings and bring horses in but I dont think i've called the arena a 'sand school'!
Izt: More often than not I call our horsebox a wagon so it must just be a northern thing?!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think it must be, and all lorries are wagons. Even call them wagons myself now lol!

tigers_eye

Visit site
In Devon the breeder I was based with told me that all youngsters were called colts, whether they were fillies or colts! And menage is one of my bug-bears: it is the french word for cleaning/tidying, manege (with an accent on the e, but I've forgotton the short-cut for it) is the french for a sand-school!

paintsplat05

Visit site
round by us it's
shavings
sand school(cos we have an outdoor grassy one as well)
and bring ing horses in
alwasy called hay a slice of hay

watcherathome

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And menage is one of my bug-bears: it is the french word for cleaning/tidying, manege (with an accent on the e, but I've forgotton the short-cut for it) is the french for a sand-school!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh! Me too, I always say school or arena just to avoid hearing another person saying menage and wanting to correct them. Slices of hay in my part of Oxon and we pull the horses in (not literally, usually they are trying to pull me in LOL) Lorries are lorries, trailers are trailers

Tia

Visit site
Same over here - 2 year old anythings (female OR male) are always called colts.......except if the horse is ungelded and then for some weird reason they are called studs/stallions.

Always arena or sandschool here and never ménage.

Always bring in horses.

Trailers are trailers here - nobody really has horse boxes over here as our trailers are sooooo huge. Wagons are only ever for carrying hay bales in from the fields.

Hay is a section of hay over here but I still call it a leaf of hay. Anyone else call it a leaf??

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just for my own culture, when you guys use the word MENAGE, do you mean it for a closed-in / covered arena or for an an open one ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh. Trixie. I was just about to say, meaning an outdoor fenced in, uncovered arena....but I think the Essexies would still say menage for an indoor one too!
confused.gif

flohelf

Visit site
Thanks !
smile.gif
Then if 'MENAGE' which you use in Britain, is in fact 'MANEGE' mispronounced, then manège IS the french word for an indoor(only) arena. 'CARRIERE' is the word for the outdoor one.
Regional + international variations
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
Hmmmm.....flake of hay
bring horse in
arena (never heard of menage until I started using forums!)

horse box over here is a trailer.....as in the thing you pull with a car is called a horsebox

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Shavings, menage, and get the horse in.
My dad calls feed 'fodder' and hay 'cake'. But he's a farmer so I guess that's just farming talk.
I've noticed alot of people say clip rope, instead of lead rope.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
OOOHHH...i live in surrey and i
I bring my horse in
chunk of hayledge or section of hay
ride him in the school
travel him in the lorry
if i had them, he would have shavings...but he is on yummy straw xxx

KarenX

Visit site
I say sand paddock, shavings and horsebox can be wagon or lorry, but mostly wagon! I think I have caught onto lorry from the southerners I mix with on a regular basis!
tongue.gif

Its also a cake or slice of hay and I bring the horses in. Never heard of pulling them in before!
Karen
smile.gif

star

Visit site
menage is my big bugbear too - another british muddle-up! it should be manege and it only applies to indoor schools. i just call it a school or an arena. i'm from berks/hants/surrey, now in bucks. my horse is on shavings, has sections of hay, i bring him in and he travels in a lorry.

sorona

Visit site
Been down here a few years though and cant remember much from owning horses as a child in Scotland so it appears I may have been Southernised, lol!!