Registering a 14.2hh pony, senior or Junior?

moneypit1

Visit site
Hi, can someone explain the rules for me? I have a 14.1hh pony who I want to register BS. Can I register her so I can ride her in Seniors but could she be ridden in juniors as well by a friends daughter or do I have to choose one or the other? thankies

Shay

Visit site
Not quite. A senior can compete a registered pony in some classes - but the striding will be horse length not pony length. However the starting point has to be what is shown on the height certificate.

You need to get the animal (I started to type pony...) measured. You get a one year certificate first then a life height certificate after 1 year if they are over 7. Then you are going to have to register the animal as the class its certificate says it is. 148cms and under - pony. Over 148cms. Horse. Riders register separately from animals. 16 and under - junior. Over 16 - senior.

Then you have to find suitable events based on the combination of animal and rider you have available. Over 16's cannot compete at events marked Junior. Juniors cannot compete horses at junior events, but can at seniors. A senior on a registered pony (at a senior event) is restricted to open classes - and sometimes not then. You have to check the rules for each class. Qualifiers etc will have their own separate set of rules.

Pony classes have stride lengths set for pony strides. So the length in a double or a related distance will be different in 128 restricted classes, 138 and 148. Open classes are set at the 148 distance. Horse classes are set at the standard horse length so a pony can be placed at a disadvantage; both in terms of strides and sometimes also optimum time as a horse will often cover the ground in fewer strides. Juniors competing in senior classes can be at a disadvantage as they are against those with considerably more experience and hours in the saddle. But there are dedicated Children on Horses classes for juniors to compete against other juniors; but on horses not ponies.

But the starting point is always going to be how high the animal actually is - not what you want them to be!

showjumpergirl

Visit site
To my understanding, not all of what Shay has said is correct.

You do not need to start by getting a height certificate. This will be requested if the pony is competed as a pony (i.e. in juniors) and wins over a certain amount. Ponies must be 148cm or under however there is no height restriction to registering a horse, so can register your pony as either a pony (JD - assuming he hasn't been registered before so has no winnings) or as a horse (Grade C). You need to decide between the two. You do have both options though, my 14.2hh was registered and competed as a pony for a couple of years, then was registered as a Grade C horse and competed in senior classes when the rider was too old for ponies/juniors. He did struggle with the horse striding distances over a certain height, but that's neither here nor there :)

An animal registered as a pony can only be competed as a pony. Likewise, an animal registered as a horse can only be competed in horse classes. Open classes do not refer to the height of the horse/pony but to their winnings. So some classes such as Newcomers are restricted to horses with a certain amount of winnings, however if the class is run as a Newcomers/1.10m Open then horses of any grade may compete. It does not mean you can compete registered ponies in horse classes or vice versa.

If you registered your pony as a pony, he could only be ridden in pony classes by your friend's daughter, who would have to be registered as a junior. If you registered your pony as a horse however, you could ride him in senior classes and your friend's daughter could ride him in senior classes too (even though she'd be registered as a junior rider).

I hope that helps! It may be worth calling BS though, they're usually pretty helpful :)

TableDancer

Visit site
SJG is right and shay is wrong. You are perfectly within your rights to register your pony as a horse, where height is not an issue - how else did Stroller (14.2) end up jumping at the Olympics?? Shay is right, though, that she will need to cope with horse striding but many ponies can do this quite happily - after all, they do so to 1* level eventing with no problem :)

You do, however, have to choose, you can't jump her as a horse one week and a pony the next with a different rider. Also I have a finny feeling that if a pony has been registered as a horse, it is a bit more complicated (but not impossible) should you or someone else want to register her as a pony some time in the future, so it might be worth checking this out in case you want to sell her on into the pony SJ market...

SillySausage

Visit site
Also I have a finny feeling that if a pony has been registered as a horse, it is a bit more complicated (but not impossible) should you or someone else want to register her as a pony some time in the future, so it might be worth checking this out in case you want to sell her on into the pony SJ market...

If you register the pony as a horse for Seniors, to then reregister it as a pony for Juniors there has to be a change of ownership involved and a valid height certificate present at the time (i.e. a life height or an annual for that year).

JMBs are only requested for ponies once they have won £50 actual.

SillySausage

Visit site
A senior on a registered pony (at a senior event) is restricted to open classes - and sometimes not then. You have to check the rules for each class. Qualifiers etc will have their own separate set of rules.

Open classes are for ponies/horses which have won too much to compete in the National class. For instance, a horse that has won £100 or more cannot compete in the British Novice, but can compete in the 90cm Open.

moneypit1 if you need any further help please feel free to PM me :)

Kokopelli

Visit site
If it's any help I used to compete 2 different ponies as a senior and we weren't the only ones. The pony can't be registered as a junior and senior at the same time, if you register him as a senior both you and your friends daughter can compete him though.

moneypit1

Visit site
Thanks guys, I think I will register her as a horse and stick her in a few BN as she is ultimately to sell on this summer and she is very new to jumping. She has a horse stride on her, (should be a horse really, dad was a 15.2 tb and mum a 15hh Irish Cob, god knows what happened)! She is a really gutsy and scopey little mare. Thanks again. x

Last edited:

tinap

Visit site
A lot of my daughters friends continued on the same ponies moving from juniors to seniors. Any height pony can be registered as a horse BS. They can enter whatever classes they are eligible for with their winnings same as horses & they only need a height certificate on a change of ownership that wants to compete back as a pony. I'd register it as a horse for you to ride & then the friends daughter as a junior rider (if she is over 12yrs - used to be called pony associate) then she can ride it as a senior too xx

Last edited: