Regretting yard move

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Used to hack out in pitch black and thick fog when I was at Hellvaston Castle, as no roads, then around lit streets, head torch on bridle rear light platted to tail, flashing dog collar on leg, depends how desperate you are to ride and keep fitness.
Love the wee light up ears 😍

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Your horse sounds happier living out. Lots of horses loose fitness if they have a break during the winter. Living out they move around a lot more which has great benefits.Can you hack at weekends?

At the moment I am doing 1 course hire and 1 hack at the weekends.

This Sunday however I am going hunting (used to hunt in SA but haven’t hunted here before). I kinda think that may have to become my thing over this winter instead of show jumping (if it doesn’t blow his mind).

Reactions: JBM

TheHairyOne

Visit site
My sister backed and broke a 17.3 baby in a 35 x 17 school which we also used to jump in, so it is possible. I believe we had 5 horses in it schooling once (not the best I will admit, but possible with some communiction). I 2nd the advice of getting someone out to give you a lesson in it. You may be surprised, just have to think a bit differently.

Now we have a 40 x 60 I am not so disciplined always about always riding the corners and it shows!

The harrowing thing would irritate me a lot though as would having to lug everything to the field. Cant really offer any advice on that.

I hope you find some solutions or a middle ground yard somehow materialises. Winter is rubbish.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Well yesterday was a disaster and left me in tears. It made up my mind to move as soon as I possibly can.

It started off with a lunge in the arena where my horse was so distracted by all the other horses going mad at being in time (it literally flanks 3 fields).

Then I went back and tied him to my trailer (nowhere else to tie), and he is a notorious ass when tied to a trailer)…so he broke free and snapped a lead rope and hightailed it in the pitch black the 600m walk back to his paddock, his haynet in tow (he had multiple lead ropes attached as he’s an escape artist). He was retrieved and brought back as I hadn’t rugged him yet. Rug on and tied up again he did the same thing but I caught him this time and we had an argument with him on his hind legs giving me rope burn before he was tied up again. He then did it a third time by which time I had lost the will to live and just broke down in tears (didn’t help that the vet bill arrived yesterday for my other horse whom I PTS recently). Someone was up near my field and put him back for me.

I then went to get feed and the broken shed they have given me had two rats in it. One jumped out at me and the other ran across my foot.

The herd bound issue is my own fault as I haven’t been consistent with his work and taken him up to the yard every day.

But the rest was the icing on the cake.

MissTyc

Visit site
BIG HUGS
The vet bill and sadness associated with that will have contributed to the energy in the room yesterday. Don't be hard on yourself or on your horse for that.

More generally, this isn't the yard for you, and I'm glad you've decided to move, for your own sanity.

To me everything you describe is totally normal, although we have no arena at all, not even a tiny one. BUT that's all I've known for many years - I already know I won't be able to ride much in winter and that the horses will lose fitness and that I'll be complaining most days. But every winter, new liveries leave my yard because this isn't how they want to keep their horses. And I totally understand: people have options and it's important to find the context that works for the horse and the human and all the things you want to achieve with your horse.

Chianti

Visit site
I really feel your pain. I've had what I call my 'disaster' yards where things were promised that never appeared. On yards like that it never got better. Someone once told me that the first two weeks on a yard were the best you were going to get so I think you're on a hiding to nothing. The only thing I can suggest is that if there are no yards locally with spaces that you find full grass livery somewhere and turn him away for the winter. He'll be looked after and you can look for a yard. I'm also amazed that liveries have to drive a tractor to harrow the school. I have never heard of this. I presume the yard owner has insurance for you all to handle the tractor?

Fire sign

Visit site
Sounds like a godawful yard … with little to recommend it .. I would rather be in part or DIY livery, with access to a standard sized floodlit arena , no harrowing responsibilities and a cosy stable ..

m1stify

Visit site
Horses are a hobby at the end of the day and needs to be enjoyable! No need to martyr yourself you need to be able to enjoy your horse so if that means a new yard with stabling at night so be it and don’t let anyone make you feel guilty about it!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. The yard doesn't sound ideal for you and given what else you have going on I'm not surprised you're finding it hard to cope. For your own sanity's sake a move would probably be best. In the meantime, is there anywhere safer for you to tie him up rather than your trailer?

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. The yard doesn't sound ideal for you and given what else you have going on I'm not surprised you're finding it hard to cope. For your own sanity's sake a move would probably be best. In the meantime, is there anywhere safer for you to tie him up rather than your trailer?

Sadly there is no tie area at all other than a gate that someone attached baling twine to.