Regumate break in winter

nbn

Visit site
My mare has been on regumate since Easter as she was clearly quite uncomfortable which coincided with her ovulating. She's generally quite sassy on the ground and a bit of a baggage to other horses, but always good in the saddle thankfully.
As it's so expensive I thought I could probably take her off it Dec to March but do they come into season immediately after stopping it despite the winter? Did anyone find theirs even worse than before on a break? She was OK in winter before to be fair!
Any experiences gratefully received.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s years since I used it but we did have a break in the winter and the horse was fine she was fine in the winter before regumate .

Visit site
I would like to "resurrect" this thread as I am in the exact same situation a year later. How likely is it that my mare will start a cycle in December if she has been on Regumate for a few months? Shouldn't mares be in their "no cycle" period in December since the days are so short? If she doesn't cycle in about 2 weeks after stopping, can I be reasonably certain that she won't?

Context:
I have owned my mare for about 5 years, and every fall I would have to call the vet out for suspected colic. Last year (and most years), the vet found nothing suspicious gastrointestinal-wise. This last time, the vet found a sore ovary. So this year we decided to do an experiment and put her on Regumate to see if her fall discomfort is due to transition cycles into winter. Sure enough, no abdominal pain. My mare has been great this fall. I was planning to stop the Regumate in early December when my bottle runs out, but I have concerns that she will cycle and become uncomfortable.

nbn

Visit site
I would like to "resurrect" this thread as I am in the exact same situation a year later. How likely is it that my mare will start a cycle in December if she has been on Regumate for a few months? Shouldn't mares be in their "no cycle" period in December since the days are so short? If she doesn't cycle in about 2 weeks after stopping, can I be reasonably certain that she won't?

Context:
I have owned my mare for about 5 years, and every fall I would have to call the vet out for suspected colic. Last year (and most years), the vet found nothing suspicious gastrointestinal-wise. This last time, the vet found a sore ovary. So this year we decided to do an experiment and put her on Regumate to see if her fall discomfort is due to transition cycles into winter. Sure enough, no abdominal pain. My mare has been great this fall. I was planning to stop the Regumate in early December when my bottle runs out, but I have concerns that she will cycle and become uncomfortable.
So coincidentally I had a chat with my vet last week. She said she'd really prefer to give mine a break as she hasn't had one at all (last winter I kept her on it).
Her field mates were in season last week, I'm hopeful that will be their last of the year. So my plan is I'll wait 3 weeks from now by which time the others will have come into season if they're going to, but assuming they don't I'll stop mine then until late Feb.
Bit of a different situation for mine though as she's on it mostly because she is so hormonal it can get dangerous. I did say to the vet if she kills anyone she's back on it 😂
She's hopeful she won't come into season when I stop it but if she does it'll likely be within a week or so

Visit site
nbn, thank you for your reply! I was wondering how your mare fared last year after you posted your initial message.

Similarly, my vet seems pretty confident that my mare won't start up again in December, but as you suggest, I will be keeping a close eye on her the first week to make sure.