Regumate

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi,

I am a new user and would appreciate some advice. I have about 3-4 months ago broke in a 4 year old and have had no problems whatsoever. Apart from a little stroppy in season she has been an angel. Her teeth, back etc are done regulary and tack is all ok.

I jumped her on Sunday night and she was as sweet as ever but when I got on her Monday night she bronked me off. I thought this was just freshness so have been lunging it out of her twice a day and got back on tonight after a 1/2 hr lunge and straight away she tensed up and reared, almost falling over and then was not happy at all and I felt like I was on a fast countdown to lift off so ended the schooling before someone got hurt.

She is due to come in to season Monday (ish) but I have never had such a severe reaction to it before (assuming it is hormonal and not physical). I am having her back check tomorrow to make sure but because she lunged so freely I doubt it is physical!

She has turned into a very dangerous animal overnight. Has anyone used the hormonal drug 'Regumate' and what were the result. This horse is 16hh TB x Han and will event but only if I can sort this out!

Any help would be really appreciated.

ps. I think if it is hormonal, normal herbal calmers won't work as the reaction is so severe and dangerous.

rgds
Suz

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi,

Yes, teeth were done by my brilliant horse dentist last week, wolf teeth out and all trimmed nicely, she is very comfortable with the bit so I am sure the issue is not there! Her back is done every month by chiro and tack is fine..............it just doesn't make sense.

I am speaking with my vet tomorrow, she may have ovary problems or something!

thanks
Suz

bertiewooster

Visit site
I've used Regumate recently on Milly. Her seasons have always turned her into a nightmare and seemed to give her a lot of pain, so much so that when I did up the girth of her dressage saddle, she ran back, broke her tether and scarpered. Since being on the Regumate she is much calmer and not in pain (and obviously, not in season). She is still wary of her dressage saddle but is fine once the girth is fastened (GP saddle presents no problems at all).
(BTW - the saddle fitter is coming out this Friday, just to reassure me that it was her season and not her saddle).

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I used it on my last mare. It did calm her down but it didn't solve the problem of her being an absolute nightmare of an animal in general!

Have you thought about the possibility of any ovarian abnormalities? I know my vet checekd my mare for this before she was eventually put on the Regumate.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
thanks, I am calling my vet this morning to talk about possible ovarian abnormalities. That's the thing though, she has been an absolute angel and is the sweetest thing normally, aside general sharpness because of breeding but now it would actually be dangerous to sit on her - something has gone drastically wrong and I hope that's it a physical thing that I can sort out........

rgds
Suz

_jetset_

Visit site
The saddle sits right on top of the ovaries, so think about how you feel when due on a period and then imagine having someone constantly on top of you... I think that's why quite a few mares react violently to being ridden when coming in season.

The Regumate does just that, it regulates their cycles more than anything. I used it on my mare because she was coming in season every 16 days but she was also on So Kalm then Valerian to keep her calm through her seasons. Now she is in foal she is an absolute sweetheart! But I know I will have to watch her once her seasons start because she can turn into a GP dressage horse overnight, piaffing and passaging all day long showing off!! (but won't do it in the school when asked!)

Some mares are just more sensitive than others when in season, but you're right to question the vet about ovarian abnormalities. A TB mare I knew used to react so violently when coming in season, and eventually they found out (only at 19 mind you...) that she had non-cancerous tumours on her ovaries!

I hope you find something that helps... Equine America is very good for tempermental mares, as it worked on Hannah along with the Stroppy Mare liquid!

Rebecca

jackrussell

Visit site
If you're satisfied teeth and back are OK, get your vet to investigate whether there's anything abnormal on the ovaries. If they're OK, Regumate may be the way to go. It is expensive but it is nearly always effective (unlike the herbal supplements, though you could try these first). I have heard of some cases where it hasn't helped but it usually works.

Also bear in mind that Regumate is a banned substance for some disciplines. I think it's permitted in show jumping under certain circumstances with a veterinary certificate. I'm not sure what the position is with eventing.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
thanks everyone, after talking it through with my vet we have put her on Regumate, it's day two and I am not going to ride her until Sun so fingers crossed. I am praying this works................I can't bear the thought of making things worse for her by riding but it felt like she was in season constantly so it's the best option.

thanks
Suz