Regumate

lizwharton

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of giving a mare regumate to improve behavoir. It was recommended for a 5 day period from when she first shows in season. Did it help.

kizzywiz

Visit site
I am looking at this at the moment, having major problems with my spooky mare. I am ringing the vet tomorrow to ask her about the procedure which involves inserting a marble I think into the uterus?? This simulates pregnancy & stops their seasons, you can leave it in for 6 months. Would prefer to do this than have the expense of the regumate, plus its dodgy stuff regarding handling it yourself. My friend deals a lot with race horses, & says the marble thing is common in racing, she also used it on her sj, & said it made a huge difference. Will post again tomorrow when ive spokent to the vet.

lizwharton

Visit site
Thanks for your post re regumate/marble. Really interested to know what your vet says. As you say the cost of regumate is very high, plus using it as recommended for 5 days from start of season means you have to get your timing right. If not you upset cycle more probs. Wait to hear tomorrow thanks again.

michb52

Visit site
Started my mare on regumate 6 days ago and so far so good. Towards the end of last year she was a complete bag - fidgety, narky, aggressive to others and generally a pain to work with or try and get any decent work out of. When she came in from her holidays approx 6 wks ago she threatened to be acting the same way so my vet advised regumate. I also have cut out cool mix and chaff and have her on pony nuts! So its prob a combination of the 2!
Would be really interested to hear more about the marble tho

kizzywiz

Visit site
Little update, rang the vets at 8.45 this morning, they were going to ring back, nothing so far at 3.20, will call again in the morning if still nothing.

seaview

Visit site
I had my mare on this and it did nothing, she had ovarian cancer and had to have her ovaries out last year, dont think anything was going to work with her though bar the op
frown.gif
I stable with michb and echo the difference in her mare is unreal!

Madam_max

Visit site
I find it really effective. My mare is such a tart, she's never naughty to handle or school really, but she gets really tense and a bit arsey. However hacking and fast work etc she can be very unpredictable and doen't like to stop. I have considered the marble, so would be interested to hear how it goes. Also mines on it everyday through the spring/ summer.

kizzywiz

Visit site
Following on with the marble information, my vet rang me & said she had never heard of this procedure, though to be fair it is more common in racing practice which she does not work in. Her husband is a vet at Liphook, so she was going to ask him about it, but I have decided to go ahead as my friend is able to arrange it at her yard with one of the Lambourn vets. When its arranged, will post again with the cost, & more importantly if it works, I am tired of entering at A & leaving immediately at C!!!

michb52

Visit site
She is on it every day at the moment - although I did speak to my vet last night as she had given me a weeks dose initially to see if it made any difference, she said that I could keep her on it full time (which alot of show/fressage people do?) or just round the time of her season which means I would have to watch her very carefully and she would be on it 1 wk a month. It is the pig version that she is on as well.
I did ask her about the marbles too and she told me someone was winding me up lol! She did show me an implant type thing that is inserted and then releases on a daily basis (looked a bit scarry tho - it was like a crossbow lol)
My mare is still agresive to others (nearly ate her sister last night over the stable door) and she was a bit uptight when I was doing up her girth but I was putting that down to the her sis in the stable beside her but we might have her scaned just incase she has a cyst
frown.gif

AJBliss

www.OFShorses.com
From what I have read with the "marble" procedure, results in studies have ranged from 40%-75% success rate, lasting upwards of two months. The mechanisms behind why it works are still being actively studied ... sounds interesting!

kizzywiz

Visit site
Ok folks, another little update on the marble, the senior partner from my vets rang me this afternoon, she was familiar with the procedure & is happy to go ahead instead of messing about with regumate. She explained the risks, infection, being unable to remove it & if it got chipped. So after this, having already had the info from my friend, I have decided to go ahead. Kizzy has just finished a season, so next Tuesday, the vet will inject her to bring her back into season, then the following Wednesday, I am taking her to the hospital to have the sterile marble inserted. She was very positive, & said there have been good results with this, it is not too expensive, about £100 ish, so in the long run, if it is successful will be much cheaper than the regumate, plus a drug free option, so michb52, might be worth mentioning it to your vet again, as I promise its for real!! I am going in to hospital to have the plates removed from my ankle, so hopefully I will have a nice calm pony to ride when I get back on!! Will post & let you all know how it goes.