Rehab for horse with fractured tibia

BrokenWizard

New User
Visit site
Hi I am just bringing back a horse recovering from a spiral fracture to his tibia and am awaiting a rehab programme from our vet and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and could give me some advice. He spent 6 months on box rest, some at the RVC, and is now out in the day. I am currently walking him in hand for @ 30mins on a hard surface. He is happily wandering about the field when out and can be seen trotting/cantering across the field on occasions and shows no real issues with lameness or weight bearing on that leg. Any help would be much appreciated.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Hi I am just bringing back a horse recovering from a spiral fracture to his tibia and am awaiting a rehab programme from our vet and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and could give me some advice. He spent 6 months on box rest, some at the RVC, and is now out in the day. I am currently walking him in hand for @ 30mins on a hard surface. He is happily wandering about the field when out and can be seen trotting/cantering across the field on occasions and shows no real issues with lameness or weight bearing on that leg. Any help would be much appreciated.
I have no experience of recovery of this except to say I lost a young horse with a fractured tibia, his was an open fracture so no hope whatsover. Apparently he did it playing in the field, watched by a friend who was trying to catch her horse for a lesson so help from the vet was mercifully quick as it could have been hours until he was discovered.

I just wanted to wish you well with your continuing rehab and your a happy outcome for your lad.

BrokenWizard

New User
Visit site
I have no experience of recovery of this except to say I lost a young horse with a fractured tibia, his was an open fracture so no hope whatsover. Apparently he did it playing in the field, watched by a friend who was trying to catch her horse for a lesson so help from the vet was mercifully quick as it could have been hours until he was discovered.

I just wanted to wish you well with your continuing rehab and your a happy outcome for your lad.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your horse and thank you so much for your kind message. This was a caused by a kick in the field and also luckily he was spotted soon after it happened and the vet was there really quickly. He has been the perfect patient all the way through and I am so lucky to be part of his recovery.

sarahann1

Visit site
I’m resurrecting this to ask how your rehab went OP? I’ve got a yearling with a fractured Tibia tuberosity currently on box rest. His follow up x-rays are next Friday, I’m really hoping he can come off box rest asap.

Starzaan

Visit site
Swimming swimming and more swimming.
I manage a rehab yard and we have had huge success with rehabbing horses with this injury. Non weight baring exercise is fantastic to get them going again when they do come back into work.

sarahann1

Visit site
Swimming swimming and more swimming.
I manage a rehab yard and we have had huge success with rehabbing horses with this injury. Non weight baring exercise is fantastic to get them going again when they do come back into work.

Thanks, unfortunately the closest to me seem to be about a 4hr drive away. :(