Rehab Help

Na1998

Visit site
I’m looking for some advise please!
So my horse recently had an injury which required box rest, we did 3 weeks and he totally lost his head in the stable, no matter how much we did in terms of stable toys/sedation ect nothing would stop him thrashing around so following a phone call with the vet we agreed we could make him a pen in the field, shapes were thrown and my eyes we closed (said horse is basically immune to sedation) it just didn’t work for him.
I’m currently faced with another issue, this horse pre box rest for the easiest horse I have ever had to handle, there wasn’t a nasty bone in his body and we did have such a relatively good relationship, it was clear I was boss and he never questioned that on the ground, we had a few arguments while riding but they were quickly sorted out however now when I am in the stable doing his rug or brushing him, he will turn around and corner me with his bum lifting a leg up basically threatening to do some damage, I have started to tie him up but when doing the belly straps on his rug up he does lift his leg up and has only just missed my head by cms on a few occasions, he has also become very nippy and is biting me. He is a 17.2 just turned 6 year old so his size obviously doesn’t help as he is absolutely using that against me at the moment. I think he has a hell of a lot of unburnt energy still, I’m so worried these bad stable manners arnt going to be nipped in the bud the correct way, I’ve had horse all my life and I am confident but these attempts to kick and and actually biting me needs stopped before it escalated into a more serious and long term issue, I can’t stand horses with poor stable manners… especially one his size. He just seems like he is trying to dominate me, so any tips would be greatly appreciated on how I can set very clear expectations on his behavior and set some boundaries??

thank you!

Na1998

Visit site
I’m looking for some advise please!
So my horse recently had an injury which required box rest, we did 3 weeks and he totally lost his head in the stable, no matter how much we did in terms of stable toys/sedation ect nothing would stop him thrashing around so following a phone call with the vet we agreed we could make him a pen in the field, shapes were thrown and my eyes we closed (said horse is basically immune to sedation) it just didn’t work for him.
I’m currently faced with another issue, this horse pre box rest for the easiest horse I have ever had to handle, there wasn’t a nasty bone in his body and we did have such a relatively good relationship, it was clear I was boss and he never questioned that on the ground, we had a few arguments while riding but they were quickly sorted out however now when I am in the stable doing his rug or brushing him, he will turn around and corner me with his bum lifting a leg up basically threatening to do some damage, I have started to tie him up but when doing the belly straps on his rug up he does lift his leg up and has only just missed my head by cms on a few occasions, he has also become very nippy and is biting me. He is a 17.2 just turned 6 year old so his size obviously doesn’t help as he is absolutely using that against me at the moment. I think he has a hell of a lot of unburnt energy still, I’m so worried these bad stable manners arnt going to be nipped in the bud the correct way, I’ve had horse all my life and I am confident but these attempts to kick and and actually biting me needs stopped before it escalated into a more serious and long term issue, I can’t stand horses with poor stable manners… especially one his size. He just seems like he is trying to dominate me, so any tips would be greatly appreciated on how I can set very clear expectations on his behavior and set some boundaries??

thank you!
Just to add, he has never been a horse with bad stable manners, he has always respected personal space and when you would walk in the stable he would back off, but the whole box rest and his routine being thrown out the window has really p*sees him off

Na1998

Visit site
For the next 4 weeks I wouldn't be brushing him or rugging him
I can stop the brushing but he needs to be rugged up really, he is out at night and naturally a horse we struggle to keep weight on so don’t want him shivering anymore more weight off

Arzada

Visit site
I can stop the brushing but he needs to be rugged up really, he is out at night and naturally a horse we struggle to keep weight on so don’t want him shivering anymore more weight off

Hhm ... my head v. a horse possibly shivering. My head wins. You only have one head and a brain injury can be a very very horrible, best avoided at all costs, life changing injury.

Starzaan

Visit site
Ok, long time rehab yard owner here. If you can, send him to a rehab yard as they will be able to deal with behaviour like this without thinking about it.
If that isn’t an option, try having someone with you when you groom and rug up, and I would recommend treating him as though he has ulcers. Maybe get some quickfix for him, and ensure he has constant access to forage.
happy to give you some tips for keeping him amused on box rest too, just shout if you’d like some.

SO1

Visit site
He sounds unhappy. It is quite mild at the moment. Not many horses would need rugs in late May in the UK unless freshly clipped. Is there any chance he could be getting hot with rugs on and getting annoyed about having them put on?

What is his orginal injury? What was his routine before being on box rest?

Is he eating hay normally?

Na1998

Visit site
Ok, long time rehab yard owner here. If you can, send him to a rehab yard as they will be able to deal with behaviour like this without thinking about it.
If that isn’t an option, try having someone with you when you groom and rug up, and I would recommend treating him as though he has ulcers. Maybe get some quickfix for him, and ensure he has constant access to forage.
happy to give you some tips for keeping him amused on box rest too, just shout if you’d like some.
Hey, thanks very much. He is on ulcer kind but will see if I can give him anything more, rehab yard is too difficult as I’m based on an island just outside the UK so it would be having to travel him 7+ hours between the boat and a drive and I just don’t want to unsettle him more than he already is, he is now in the restricted pen in a field 18 hours then just comes in the stable in the day for a little rest, he is very fresh on the ground and very pully when walking out to the field, I’m only just over 5 foot and with him being 17.2 he is just using that against me

Na1998

Visit site
He sounds unhappy. It is quite mild at the moment. Not many horses would need rugs in late May in the UK unless freshly clipped. Is there any chance he could be getting hot with rugs on and getting annoyed about having them put on?

What is his orginal injury? What was his routine before being on box rest?

Is he eating hay normally?
He did have quite a bit clip while at the vets, should of probably mentioned that he had surgery for arthroscopy on both stifles which identified a very mild tear to the meniscus. Routine before injury was out in the day and then in at night, he is a showjumper exercised 5/6 times a week, he is very green and thrives off exercise I think he is just bored as hell ,full off energy which is just turning into anger. He can’t hell be lunged, only controlled waking on straight lines twice a day, I’m going to attempt to ride him next week and see if that settles him down a bit more being in a routine and yep condition of coat is good and appetite is still as greedy as ever… he has adlib haylage in the stable, two hard feeds a day and eats a hell of a lot of grass

Na1998

Visit site
He did have quite a bit clip while at the vets, should of probably mentioned that he had surgery for arthroscopy on both stifles which identified a very mild tear to the meniscus. Routine before injury was out in the day and then in at night, he is a showjumper exercised 5/6 times a week, he is very green and thrives off exercise I think he is just bored as hell ,full off energy which is just turning into anger. He can’t hell be lunged, only controlled waking on straight lines twice a day, I’m going to attempt to ride him next week and see if that settles him down a bit more being in a routine and yep condition of coat is good and appetite is still as greedy as ever… he has adlib haylage in the stable, two hard feeds a day and eats a hell of a lot of grass
Where I’m based just outside the UK it is cooler than usual, it goes down to about 7C at night and he is super fine, he is only in a rain sheet

SO1

Visit site
Is he on the same diet as when he was being ridden and in full work?

At this time of year there is sugar in the grass, if he is on a high DE hayledge and having two hard feeds he could be having a lot of sugar which could give him a lot of energy. If you are worried about ulcers a low starch diet is I believe better and using oil to help with weigh gain.

Rehab is hard especially when you have a big youngster but you need to be safe. If he is being unpredictable and might kick you wear a hat when handling him.

Na1998

Visit site
Where I’m based just outside the UK it is cooler than usual, it goes down to about 7C at night and he is super fine, he is only in a rain sheet
Is he on the same diet as when he was being ridden and in full work?

At this time of year there is sugar in the grass, if he is on a high DE hayledge and having two hard feeds he could be having a lot of sugar which could give him a lot of energy. If you are worried about ulcers a low starch diet is I believe better and using oil to help with weigh gain.

Rehab is hard especially when you have a big youngster but you need to be safe. If he is being unpredictable and might kick you wear a hat when handling him.
Thanks! I will cut out the hard feed as much as I can, battling with the weight issue and trying to keep him low on sugar is challenging. He lost loads of weight post surgery due to the stress of being away from home and going under a general

SO1

Visit site
You can use oil to put on weight safely it is meant to be also good to help prevent ulcers.

Good luck my 20 year old pony had to do 9 months box rest and controlled exercise it is hard and even though he is gentle there were times when he got grumpy. You are at least lucky he is in a pen.

Thanks! I will cut out the hard feed as much as I can, battling with the weight issue and trying to keep him low on sugar is challenging. He lost loads of weight post surgery due to the stress of being away from home and going under a general

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Protein, oil and forage...keep starches and sugars to a minimum. He's not a happy horse and obviously getting to the bottom of why is the key, not trying to get back to him "respecting" you, horses don't need a boss like we think they do. Look for his bodylanguage, for his acceptance for you doing something, before doing it. I would try and work through any physical issues, and then look at some gentle groundwork such as https://www.wildmagicllc.com/master-class which will help with behaviour and physical rehab (please read around as much as possible and learn how correct rehab isn't just fittening/strengthening but about posture, mind and body).

Na1998

Visit site
Protein, oil and forage...keep starches and sugars to a minimum. He's not a happy horse and obviously getting to the bottom of why is the key, not trying to get back to him "respecting" you, horses don't need a boss like we think they do. Look for his bodylanguage, for his acceptance for you doing something, before doing it. I would try and work through any physical issues, and then look at some gentle groundwork such as https://www.wildmagicllc.com/master-class which will help with behaviour and physical rehab (please read around as much as possible and learn how correct rehab isn't just fittening/strengthening but about posture, mind and body).
Thank you, I would imagine most horses who have surgery, spend a week in intensive care at an equine hospital and then 6 weeks on box rest isn’t going to be very happy, im very confident the above explains why he isn’t his usual self but he is to big to be walking all over me

Fieldlife

Visit site
Thank you, I would imagine most horses who have surgery, spend a week in intensive care at an equine hospital and then 6 weeks on box rest isn’t going to be very happy, im very confident the above explains why he isn’t his usual self but he is to big to be walking all over me

Not sure. My horse did nearly same. Surgery, 3 days in vet hospital. Then 6 weeks of no turnout, hand walking and hand grazing only. He is a large fit competing warmblood.

He had a diet change, gut support, a lot of environment enrichment and he didn’t change personality at all. Maybe a bit more licky! And I was able to safely hand walk him in open spaces.

My guess is your horse is uncomfortable somewhere, gut or body.

Na1998

Visit site
Not sure. My horse did nearly same. Surgery, 3 days in vet hospital. Then 6 weeks of no turnout, hand walking and hand grazing only. He is a large fit competing warmblood.

He had a diet change, gut support, a lot of environment enrichment and he didn’t change personality at all. Maybe a bit more licky! And I was able to safely hand walk him in open spaces.

My guess is your horse is uncomfortable somewhere, gut or body.
it’s very strange! Scope arranged for Monday to rule out ulcers, how old is yours?

Fieldlife

Visit site
it’s very strange! Scope arranged for Monday to rule out ulcers, how old is yours?
12 now 11 then.

He was allowed to hand graze both ends of the day, and I picked him lots of edible hedgerow stuff etc.

I found the general anaesthetic seemed to hit him hard.

Na1998

Visit site
12 now 11 then.

He was allowed to hand graze both ends of the day, and I picked him lots of edible hedgerow stuff etc.

I found the general anaesthetic seemed to hit him hard.
My boy is only 5 with a brain of a 3 yo still, he just didn’t adapt well to the change in routine at all. Don’t think it’s helped being on a really busy competition yard either with lots going on all the time, will update you on results of scope Monday! What injury did yours have?

Fieldlife

Visit site
My boy is only 5 with a brain of a 3 yo still, he just didn’t adapt well to the change in routine at all. Don’t think it’s helped being on a really busy competition yard either with lots going on all the time, will update you on results of scope Monday! What injury did yours have?

bone chips

Fieldlife

Visit site

Have you cut all energy feed out and tried calmers / sedatives?

I had valarian, calming syringes, vet powder calmer and lots of Sedalin. But actually think he’d have been fine without it. I only used Sedalin when all his friends being turned out first few days, and when he was allowed back out in field.

Na1998

Visit site
Just an update - he was scoped today and has ulcers (grade 3) most likely bought on by the stress of box rest ?