Rehab livery - help!

Michen

Visit site
I totally disagree on the it being ok to rock up to a rehab yard to see your horse. I would expect its imperative for them when dealing with these horses to have aquiet, non busy yard. I know how explosive Bog was when he was on box rest if a car turned up, or someone walked around the corner. I often walked him at 5 am to avoid this. When I was considering a rehab yard for him last year, they had VERY strict rules on visiting etc for that reason and it's an extremely well known, well respected yard.

So I don't think that's a red flag. However, despite all that, at this point I would definitely turn up- because the communications have been so bad and you are concerned. They haven't left you much choice.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I totally disagree on the it being ok to rock up to a rehab yard to see your horse. I would expect its imperative for them when dealing with these horses to have aquiet, non busy yard. I know how explosive Bog was when he was on box rest if a car turned up, or someone walked around the corner. I often walked him at 5 am to avoid this. When I was considering a rehab yard for him last year, they had VERY strict rules on visiting etc for that reason and it's an extremely well known, well respected yard.

So I don't think that's a red flag. However, despite all that, at this point I would definitely turn up- because the communications have been so bad and you are concerned. They haven't left you much choice.
Well that's how I kind of looked at it because the op is getting ignored so I think in this situation I would just turn up.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Just been to see her and she looks her normal happy self.

IMG_9270.jpeg

A few things I noticed that concerned/annoyed me though:

1. she has a haynet - she is meant to be having hay off the floor. Since the colic incident, she was given a hay feeder so not sure why she now has a haynet.

2. she was snatchy with her front legs. I basically did a full analysis of her body and picked up each foot. She has never been snatchy with her front ones but was today.

3. despite being told she has dropped loads of weight and is on a weight gaining feed plan, she looks her usual healthy weight to me.

I feel better now that I’ve seen her (and know she is alive and well!) but the plan is still to get her home asap. I felt today like she wasn’t my horse in the sense that I’ve no idea what’s going on with her.

ihatework

Visit site
Just been to see her and she looks her normal happy self.

View attachment 135641

A few things I noticed that concerned/annoyed me though:

1. she has a haynet - she is meant to be having hay off the floor. Since the colic incident, she was given a hay feeder so not sure why she now has a haynet.

2. she was snatchy with her front legs. I basically did a full analysis of her body and picked up each foot. She has never been snatchy with her front ones but was today.

3. despite being told she has dropped loads of weight and is on a weight gaining feed plan, she looks her usual healthy weight to me.

I feel better now that I’ve seen her (and know she is alive and well!) but the plan is still to get her home asap. I felt today like she wasn’t my horse in the sense that I’ve no idea what’s going on with her.

A haynet on a KS rehab horse 🤬🙈😱 That would pee me off

J_sarahd

Visit site
Do you have any idea what she’s been doing for the last 8 weeks? For all you know she’s done nothing but stand in her stable tugging on a haynet!
To be fair, she had her hay on the floor and then she colicked so had it in a hay feeder. Both of which I saw with my own eyes! I was aware of her doing work up until her colic as I had photos and messages. And then the colic happened and that’s when it went quiet. The rehab owner rang me a few weeks ago and said she had been slowly bringing her back into work following the colic but since then, I’ve not heard anything.

meleeka

Visit site
To be fair, she had her hay on the floor and then she colicked so had it in a hay feeder. Both of which I saw with my own eyes! I was aware of her doing work up until her colic as I had photos and messages. And then the colic happened and that’s when it went quiet. The rehab owner rang me a few weeks ago and said she had been slowly bringing her back into work following the colic but since then, I’ve not heard anything.

How slowly is what I’d want to know. Was there an expected time frame when you first arranged it?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Just text the rehab owner and asked why she has a haynet and got the snottiest text back. I won’t post it here but basically:

She cannot have hay on the floor because of her recent colic - they think it’s too much of a risk, even though she is now on shavings and had her hay on the floor at home without any issues. They tried with the hay feeder but she wouldn’t eat through the grill and when they removed it she kept putting her legs in it. So she has a large holed haynet.

Followed by a defensive paragraph about her willing to discuss at length when she returns and any decisions are made for the safety and wellbeing of the horses.

Fine - but it would’ve been nice to have been kept in the loop. I surely should’ve been told rather than find out myself and then almost feel bad for questioning why.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Why would hay on the floor cause colic? (unless the horse is eating lots of sand with their hay but since this is the UK, I assume this is not the case).
She was on straw so it was thought she was pulling her hay into her bed and then eating her straw too

Caol Ila

Visit site
She was on straw so it was thought she was pulling her hay into her bed and then eating her straw too

If they think straw is the cause of it (and lots of horses nibble at it with no trouble), then wouldn't it make more sense to bed her on shavings and keep the hay on the floor, given the KS?

Sorry, I am quite baffled!

J_sarahd

Visit site
If they think straw is the cause of it (and lots of horses nibble at it with no trouble), then wouldn't it make more sense to bed her on shavings and keep the hay on the floor, given the KS?

Sorry, I am quite baffled!
She is on soft chip now, so I am also baffled.

All my research of KS was categorically no haynets. She hasn’t had a haynet with me since she was diagnosed- yes it makes mucking out harder but you’d think a rehab yard would understand that too.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'd suggest if there was no one around when you visited a rehab yard that potentially the rehab isn't taking place. Their market is based on being able to dedicate the time and labor resource to your horse better than you could at home. I'm pretty sure your mare could stand in a stable at home with hay (and have it appropriately fed).

I'm angry for you now. Get her home where you can keep an eye on her. Maybe ask your vet if they have worked with any freelancers that they would recommend help with her rehab.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Sorry OP, don’t like the sound of this place. Have you had any photo or video proof they’ve been doing any rehab?

I’d want to move her asap (which I know is your plan) how soon can you move her?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Sorry OP, don’t like the sound of this place. Have you had any photo or video proof they’ve been doing any rehab?

I’d want to move her asap (which I know is your plan) how soon can you move her?
I’ve had one photo sent to me and one photo shown to me the first time I went to visit her

I can maybe move her on Thursday if I can get bedding in time. If not it will be Friday but absolute latest will be Sunday. I am very anxious about picking her up and having a frosty reception from the rehab owner. I’m not good at confrontation at all and I know Nova’s welfare comes first but like I said, I’m too much of a people pleaser, which is why I’m in this mess.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I was told she was running low on Regumate a few weeks ago but I have not been told to bring a new bottle. I also had a peek at where their feed is and couldn’t see a Regumate bottle - but not sure if it’s kept elsewhere out of reach of others. I know technically she doesn’t need to be on Regumate but I like to keep her on it year round atm so a) I am 100% certain the behaviour isn’t hormonal and b) I know where I’m at and she isn’t just going to come into season randomly as she is quite difficult when in season.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I am very anxious about picking her up and having a frosty reception from the rehab owner. I’m not good at confrontation at all and I know Nova’s welfare comes first but like I said, I’m too much of a people pleaser, which is why I’m in this mess.

It’s a shame there isn’t a H&H member local to you that could come and support you.

You just have to think of Nova, like you said.. and does it matter if you upset them? You won’t use them again, remember they’re in the wrong, not you.

J_sarahd

Visit site
It’s a shame there isn’t a H&H member local to you that could come and support you.

You just have to think of Nova, like you said.. and does it matter if you upset them? You won’t use them again, remember they’re in the wrong, not you.

Thank you, I honestly really appreciate that

Goldenstar

Visit site
you will just have to get through picking her up .
No matter what type of reception you keep it to the point and polite.
She’s just like any other business owner whose services you have decided to move on from its not personal on your side kept it like that.
Then you have to assume you starting Nova rehab from the beginning at home .
It’s less than ideal but it is what it is .
It’s years rehab for KS in my experience.