Rehab routine for small driving pony

RhossT

Visit site
Pony had steroid injection into stifle joint and has been through box rest and some rehab. Now he can start back in carriage. However, the physio's normal plan of hacking (straight lines in walk, as much hill work as possible before introducing trot) is totally impracticable for a small pony in a hilly environment. We are fortunate in having a large indoor school so I can drive in there without constantly having to ask pony to cope with corners. Any suggestions from other drivers who have faced this problem? Pony is not ridden.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
As ester said, long rein. Pulling the carriage will put a strain on the hocks, especially hill work.

RhossT

Visit site
We are past the walking in hand, long-reining and ride and lead stages and now he needs to go back into carriage or frankly he doesn't have a job to do! I realise this sounds a bit heartless but I am thinking of him as much as myself. Poor pony loves his job and does not enjoy being off work. We are also having to watch his weight which has never been a problem in the past as he has always been kept fit and exercised. I am looking for other drivers experiences of how they have got a small pony back to carriage fitness after injury.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ok, in which case I struggle to understand your post, how is it impractical, just the pulling of load if hilly? Or something else?

'now he can start back in carriage. However, the physio's normal plan of hacking (straight lines in walk, as much hill work as possible before introducing trot) is totally impracticable for a small pony in a hilly environment. '

We only have a handful of drivers on the forum, if you are on facebook british carriage driving chit chat would likely deliver you a few more.

RhossT

Visit site
QUOTE="ester, post: 14664843, member: 57538"]Ok, in which case I struggle to understand your post, how is it impractical, just the pulling of load? Or something else.

'now he can start back in carriage. However, the physio's normal plan of hacking (straight lines in walk, as much hill work as possible before introducing trot) is totally impracticable for a small pony in a hilly environment. '[/QUOTE]

Pulling of the load, at his current level of carriage fitness. I would not hack out without back stepper so weight is an issue. We cannot leave yard without going up and down a hill and we are immediately on hills as soon as we leave yard. I would not normally be hacking him out in this environment until he was comfortable doing at least 20 minutes in walk and trot in the school with a backstepper. So far I have done 6 minutes in walk, without a backstepper, on the level in the school which he found challenging. 6 minutes would take us half way up the farm road, tight turn then steep down hill for 3 minutes. Far from ideal.

Trot will not be introduced for at least another 4 weeks.

ShettieMob

Visit site
Both of my driving mini shetties have had stifle weaknesses over the years (apparently it can be a common conformation fault in the little ones), and I've had to rehab one from an SI injury. Long reining is one of the best things you can do, you are never 'past' the long reining stage, see it as something fun you can do together - I always have done a lot and always will, to build up and maintain the basic core strength they need (and mentally mine LOVE going for a hack without having to think too hard about pulling etc) - and the fact that you have hills is really great for stifles. We also now do loads of in-hand polework, the one with the SI issue visits the aqua treadmill every couple of weeks. Also check out Horses Inside Out, loads of suggestions for 'pilates' type exercises to help build the strength of the muscles around the stifle area (and all over). Lots of transitions, both in the carriage and in long reins, again to build and maintain strength
If you're not at the stage where you're allowed to trot yet, TBH I wouldn't bother much with the carriage at all - you can do so much with the ground work

RhossT

Visit site
T
Both of my driving mini shetties have had stifle weaknesses over the years (apparently it can be a common conformation fault in the little ones), and I've had to rehab one from an SI injury. Long reining is one of the best things you can do, you are never 'past' the long reining stage, see it as something fun you can do together - I always have done a lot and always will, to build up and maintain the basic core strength they need (and mentally mine LOVE going for a hack without having to think too hard about pulling etc) - and the fact that you have hills is really great for stifles. We also now do loads of in-hand polework, the one with the SI issue visits the aqua treadmill every couple of weeks. Also check out Horses Inside Out, loads of suggestions for 'pilates' type exercises to help build the strength of the muscles around the stifle area (and all over). Lots of transitions, both in the carriage and in long reins, again to build and maintain strength
If you're not at the stage where you're allowed to trot yet, TBH I wouldn't bother much with the carriage at all - you can do so much with the ground work

Thanks for advice. Rehab is after steroid injection for arthritis, not after injury. Pony is aerobically fit and happily doing 45 minute hack as ride and lead. We are "past the longreining stage" for the simple reason that the lameness only showed up in trot in the carriage. Experienced vet and physio are both of opinion that we will only know if the pony has a working future when he is back in the carriage and trotting. We are taking the rehab slowly but do need to progress in the carriage.

I also have health issues which limit the amount of inhand and longreining that I can do. Currently longreining in walk and trot for short period before putting in the carriage but carriage fitness is the main issue for this pony. Pony is obliging but frankly not very interested in simply being long-reined.

ShettieMob

Visit site
No worries. Rehab is rehab, regardless of the initial cause - you're looking to build up strength in the affected area. Correctly conditioned muscles will massively help to support the stifle joint to function properly and 'take the strain' off the arthritis. There's loads you can do with poles, raised poles, in-hand exercises (backing up is a great one for stifles) that don't require much physical input from you and will really help to give pony the best chance of being able to cope with the carriage once you're back up to trot work (I would think your physio would have LOADS of ideas here) - and these are things you can and should continue to do throughout it's driving career, especially now you know there is an underlying problem. In the carriage then lots of walk/halt transitions, backing up, half circles (make sure pony is stepping under correctly, again to use stifle correctly - mine has a habit of cheating when not feeling 100%). I really used to think all of this was boring too, but think of ways to make pony use its brain and it will enjoy the challenge. My driving ponies definitely wouldn't be as fit and strong as they in the carriage are without all of the groundwork.
Good luck! :)