Rehoming an adult dog - questions

Possum

Visit site
Question as title really. We're looking for a second dog, always meant to be a 2-dog household and now Katie's coming up to 2 and a lot better behaved we're starting to look a bit more seriously for a friend for her.

We don't feel as if a puppy would be the right choice for us at the moment, I don't believe in really young dogs being left for more than an hour or so and sometimes Katie gets left for 3-4 hours. We are looking for a medium/large breed, but not a greyhound (purely personal preference).

We have a couple of local rescues, and I've spoken to some national breed rescues and no one will rehome to us because a portion of our fence and the side gate is only 4' tall.

First question - is this really as much of a risk as they make out? We never let Katie into the garden unattended and don't plan to change this. Our road is a very quiet cul de sac.

Then, if people do manage to keep dogs in an environment like this, am I stupid to think of looking at some of the private ads eg preloved? I know you take more of a risk because you are so reliant on the honesty of the vendor, but if we were to be sensible and check things as far as possible, is it something we could consider? Otherwise we're probably looking at breeders who are looking to rehome their older bitches, but our preference is a dog rather than a bitch if a choice is possible.

Thoughts?

Nettle123

Visit site
My Sister and her husband live in a flat and although its in the middle of a country park, rescues wouldn't have been keen on giving them a dog after their elderly boy died. I spotted a young dog on preloved that was simply not wanted anymore. She has been with them for 5 years now and it was the perfect rehoming for them all.

We have had several labs that have been exbreeders from Friends, after two litters they are available for rehoming, they have all been perfect with wonderful characters.

Umbongo

Visit site
Have you looked into some smaller, less well-known rescues? They might be a bit more lax on the fence height rule?

Thistle

Visit site
Battersea are a bit more flexible on rules, rehomed to us with 4 ft fencing. A staffy would be a good choice, lovely dogs and reqally a big dog in a small body

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Um, stoopid question, but is it possible to (easily/reasonably cheaply) sort the fence?? Sorry am probably asking a numpty question.

We have rehomed two rescue dogs, are on our second one now.

IMO the bigger ones are the most anal, dare I say it, about fencing and everything being "correct". These are the biggies like RSPCA, PDSA, Dogs Trust etc etc. Of course they want to ensure that the dog doesn't escape - but you may find that some of the smaller, locally-based rehoming charities are less fussy and are more prepared to accommodate an applicant's particular set-up and be more understanding thereof.

We looked at a lot of heartbreaking ads on Preloved: its hard not to be moved by some of the poor dogs on there, plus other second hand sites like Preloved. Bear in mind that a lot of these dogs will have behaviour issues - there is a dearth, it seems, of dogs approx 3 months to 2 years old who've been allowed to develop issues and the owner can't/won't cope with them anymore. But then, with a rescue, you will get issues too so its swings and roundabouts.

On our current rescue, we looked at a lot of rehoming charities, some of the biggies didn't even have the courtesy to respond to our enquiry whereas the local ones did. We eventually came upon a charity called "D.O.G. rescue Cyprus" who rehome dogs from Cyprus - they're on Facebook. The advantage with these being that the dogs are flown back to the UK and then put into foster homes - and you can see the dog actually living in a home environment and talk to the fosterer instead of taking on something from a rescue centre when you haven't a clue how they'll cope with everyday life and stuff like cats.

Good luck anyway, whatever you decide.

Scarlett

Visit site
The rescue we rehomed through don't get caught up on stuff like that, I think there are more and more out there that are realising a good home is a good home even if it doesn't fulfil all the criteria on a tick list.

I got refused by a few rescues before we found the one we used and started looking on Gumtree etc, tbh it was hard work, anything that looked suitable had gone and some of the people I contacted were just plain dodgy. I think a lot of the dogs on there do get collected by rescues and then rehomed - our boy from the rescue had been advertised on Gumtree and the rescue had taken him in. I'm sure there are a lot of genuine adverts on there, I just think you need a bit of luck and good timing.

Whereabouts are you? maybe someone could recommend a rescue or might know of someone looking to rehome in that area?

Clodagh

Visit site
Breed specific rescues tend to be sensible.
Also we have had a couple of dogs off preloved and both have been fine, although yes it is a risk.

Possum

Visit site
Battersea are a bit more flexible on rules, rehomed to us with 4 ft fencing. A staffy would be a good choice, lovely dogs and reqally a big dog in a small body
I'd love a staff, always fancied one and think it'd fit in perfectly but my OH has aesthetic objections to bull breeds - all the dogs he likes have long snouts lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Um, stoopid question, but is it possible to (easily/reasonably cheaply) sort the fence?? Sorry am probably asking a numpty question.

On our current rescue, we looked at a lot of rehoming charities, some of the biggies didn't even have the courtesy to respond to our enquiry whereas the local ones did. We eventually came upon a charity called "D.O.G. rescue Cyprus" who rehome dogs from Cyprus - they're on Facebook. The advantage with these being that the dogs are flown back to the UK and then put into foster homes - and you can see the dog actually living in a home environment and talk to the fosterer instead of taking on something from a rescue centre when you haven't a clue how they'll cope with everyday life and stuff like cats.

No, not a stupid question at all - it is on our list of things to do, but as part of a bigger project to re fence the whole length of the garden, which needs us to remove an asbestos garage on the fence line first so £££. Replacing the section wouldn't be particularly easy, and it seems silly to do half a job! I'll look at the rescue you mention, thanks.

Whereabouts are you? maybe someone could recommend a rescue or might know of someone looking to rehome in that area?
Oxfordshire - any recommendations welcomed :)

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated!

madmav

Visit site
We're not allowed fences higher than 4ft where I live! So no rescues allowed round here, presumably. That's rather a bizarre ruling. Our dog has never made it out of the garden!
Sometimes wonder how much rescue centres actually want their inmates to be rescued. I was many years ago refused a cat on any grounds because I had a child of three, despite nice garden, quiet location etc. The cat we subsequently acquired from a friend was quite pleased by their reluctance and got on just fine with the allegedly terrible three-year-old!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Try your local vets , I got my mums last dog ( lurcher mature adult ) and a couple of weeks ago an abandoned cat as their cat suddenly died through our vets .
Vets often know the back stories as well .
I have given up with the rescues I got my two new cats from an ad in the hairdressers window , they where rehomed because the family now had a toddler and twin babies who the cats hated .
Beauiful cats well cared for just very shy.

2Greys

Visit site
The lurcher rescue I homecheck for does accept 4ft fences if they've a suitable dog in thats not likely to jump it and sure others are equally flexible. However if can increase to 6ft it would open up more options for dogs & rescues. You could top with mesh or trellis rather than replace fencing.

My 23" lurcher jumps our 4ft dog gate to the kitchen, she balances on top like a cat before leaping off it. I'm currently in the process of adding stock/hedge fence to top of our 4ft panels as the hedge behind was heavily trimmed back by neighbor leaving huge gaps.

Private rehomes can be more risky & they may not want or be in a position to take the dog back if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
It should go on experience of a potential owner and this is what I have always said. Instead of faffing around with details like fence height there should be a test new owners should pass before they are considered. I don't have a 4 foot fence round my garden my current dog is nearly 13, previous dog was 14 and my jr was 17. Oh no I am not considered a suitable owner. Its no wonder breeders are doing so well. And so the cycle starts again.

Bellasophia

Visit site
We have four ft fencing at the front and my st poodle jumped this from a standstill to chase the neighbours cat! she ended up in their home,with the cat on the kitchen worktop as the owner went into Italian meltdown .I was hot on their heels and removed dog. (very embarrassing.)
We put an extra roll of fencing along the top to raise the fence to 5 ft ,later replacing the lot ,with a higher metal rail fence.
It was a cheap option which solved the issue.
When she died we asked the next breeder for a low prey drive pup,which has been a godsend as we are surrounded by cat owning homes.No more barking and definitely more peace for us all.

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
I put an ad on preloved and found a lovely 18 month bitch. The owners were really nice and responded to my ad as they wanted a rural home for her - she was a saluki in suburbia and they couldn't cope. They hadn't advertised her as they were worried about who might respond, so their next move would have been the local greyhound recue centre. They were so happy to find the right home that they wouldnt accept a penny. She is a genuinely great dog and her only issue was that she was in the wrong environment. So it might be worth a try.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I dont think a 4ft fence is high enough, adult rescue dogs can be spooked in a new home and just run-hopping over 4 ft is nothing to most medium size or larger dogs,

Luci07

Visit site
Ok, here's a slightly sneaker option for you...most decent rescues have a trial period of 3 weeks to ensure all parties are happy. Stafford welfare do! Why not suggest to your partner that you just want to foster a Stafford while dog hunting. They have a way of getting under people's skin in the nicest way. I can help point you in the right direction as well so you get the right help. I have a lot of friends who were either scared of dogs or loathed staffords. Having met my dogs they no longer have that opinion!

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I got my pup from the dogs trust this January and they didn't mind that we didn't have 6ft fencing. We're on a 6acre plot so 6ft panel fencing just isn't going to happen!

When I got mine certain dogs had mentioned in their blurb that they needed higher fencing, so that would indicate to me that they assessed it on a case by case basis. I also found them very realistic with understanding we had only moved in a few months before and were still upgrading the property!

Possum

Visit site
Thank you all, sorry I'm a bit late replying.

I agree 100% that it depends on the dog, we don't want high drive in any case though we're looking for older, calm and soppy!

After a lot of chat we have decided that this is going to be a dog for me, he really wants a puppy which I've ruled out completely at the moment. I'm looking at staffs, rotties and newfs or a nice cross-breed - so excited!!

Good to hear of more rescues we can consider if we look for the right dog.

rowan666

Visit site
have you tried pets for homes and preloved? there are so many people desperate to find good homes for their adult dogs, i got my 2yr old bordeaux off pets for homes and he is absolutly perfect for us, a walk in the morning and at night, sleeps all day abd fab with the kids! it was so much easier being able to directly speak to previous owner about their likes and dislikes etc that a charity just wouldnt have a clue about

leflynn

Visit site
Greyhound rescues are less fussy, my large greyhound can't be bothered to jump the fence (about 3ft), they did bring it up but said to keep an eye on him but in three years he has never even loked at the fence :)