Rehoming an Ex Racehorse

Liccie

Visit site
I'm currently looking for a bit of a project horse to bring on to event and I thought taking on an ex racer could be a good way to go! I've had a look at some rehoming centres like Darley, but was just wondering if anyone had gone through them at all or if you could suggest anywhere else? Thanks in advance!

Holding

Visit site
Where abouts are you? I haven't been to Darley but a friend of mine got a horse from there. He was sweet but very tricky and he ended up going back. It depends how confident you are to do a lot of the retraining yourself. I personally prefer Moorcroft - I like their reschooling methods a lot and the horses have an average of nine months training before being rehomed. It is a bit more expensive though, and I'm pretty sure the horses are only loaned, never sold.

There's also sourceanexracehorse.co.uk which has some for loan and sale, from private homes and direct from trainers.

Oh, and I also have a couple for sale myself. ;)

unicorndreams

Visit site
I got mine from a dealer near Doncaster, she takes the 'sensible' ones direct from the trainers and does a bit of light schooling with them to make sure they are sane and resells. She often has a few to choose from and seems willing to let people try them out several times to make sure its the the partnership. I bought Mel 3yrs ago and she has been brill from the start - everything she was described as and more. PM me if you want the dealers details.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Do you know how to re-train an ex racehorse? It can be more difficult than breaking-in from scratch as they only know one speed! If you aren't familiar with racehorses, it would be better to approach one of the re-training charities like Moorcroft or Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre who will have assessed the horses and can match them to your needs. They also supply excellent follow-up advice should you have problems.

Apologies is you have racehorse experience!

Liccie

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm going to have a look into everywhere suggested :)

Tammuz I've helped with retraining a racehorse on my yard but haven't done it completely on my own before, though did actually work on a race yard before for a while too but that's also a really good option ill look into thanks :)

I'm based in Wiltshire so Darley would have been a bit of a trek but I'm not too worried about how far they would be as long as it was for the right horse!

Firewell

Visit site
Moorcroft is amazing but they normally have a waiting list for horses that are able to jump. Try HERO's as well, they are based near Oxford. We got my mums horse from HERO's and they often have a lot of horses in to rehome or sell.

TrasaM

Visit site
I got smitten by a filly I spotted at the races last august. She's not cut out for racing as she came last each time she's run. I even called the trainers to find out if they planned to get rid of her. I left my number but not heard back from them. A friend sent me details from facebook this week of a 6 year old mare going for £400 and she's in warwickshire. Looked ok though.