Rehoming elderly guinea pig

Elbie

Visit site
Just seeking advice from anyone who’s either given up or taking in an old guinea. I had 2 pigs that are sisters (actual sisters) that I’ve had since they were babies and are coming up to 6 years old. We sadly had to have one put to sleep on Monday night. We knew it would be on the cards and we were trying to make a plan but unfortunately she went downhill too quickly.

So I’m now left with one lonely piggy. She was the underpig out of the two and has always been very timid. But I’ve found now she is even more timid. She is eating but she won’t come out for food unless weve left her alone.

I was looking for a sanctuary/rescue home where she could retire and spend the rest of her days with other pigs but I’m not sure if as an elderly lady who is already shy whether this would be too stressful.

just wondering if anyone has experienced either integrating an old pig into a group or has given up a single pig and how they coped with it?

edited to add: need to break the cycle of keeping guinea pigs so it’s not an option to take in another pig myself. It breaks my heart thinking I’ve Just lost one now I’m giving the other one up but I want to do what’s best for her.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had 2 male pigs and a very similar situation the dominant one died and I kept the other one for about 5 years on his own, he was kept indoors and was incredibly friendly he would sit on the sofa with us and would get in the dogs bed with the dog, he loved going in his run in the garden and I think he had a happy long life I think he must have been about 8 when he died.

I think some are quite happy on there own our one definitely was and he was literally like a little dog and loved human contact, I think if your one is very people shy she may prefer being rehomed with other older piggies perhaps if you can find that type of home for her, or maybe try and find an older timid companion for her it's not easy though I know.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Sorry to hear you lost a piggie.

speak to this lady she has long term residents/retirees in essex and a very good reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=blackberry patch guinea pig rescue

I did try to find a friend for my 5yo sow which didn't go too well and it showed up that she had a bladder stone but symptomless up until 3 weeks after losing her friend. She was the more flightly of the two but actually became more bold during the short time she had on her own.

scats

Visit site
Sorry that you lost a piggie.

I had two very closely bonded boys and when one had to be put to sleep quite suddenly, his friend lost all his confidence. Turns out his friend had gone blind and was relying on his companion. He was 6 and we thought that introducing a blind pig to a new one was probably not a good idea. We rearranged his house so everything was in easy reach but he went downhill within days. I decided to have him put to sleep the next day, but he actually died that night. I think the loss of his friend was too much for him and his body gave up.

julesjoy

Visit site
Sorry you lost a piggie. East Anglia Guinea Pig rescue on Fb in Suffolk also take in oldies and keep them long term. I will happily vouch for them.

Elbie

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. Esther and Jules those were places I had considered so happy you’re recommending them. I’ve actually managed to get her into Blackberry and will be dropping her off tomorrow evening.

it’s so hard. I feel like I’m in a lose lose situation. She’s unhappy on her own but to rehome her she’ll have the stress of moving, meeting new humans and pigs etc. Just keep trying to think it will be the best option for her in the long run and she’s going to an experienced home.

it’s been a sucky week. last Friday my pig was diagnosed with a tumour, Monday she was put down and now I’m having to give up her sister. I’ve had them for nearly 6 years.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm pleased you've got a solution for her, she'll be ok blackberry lady does seem to have a way with them and will have suitable options for her friends wise- because she also does it all the time stress will be minimized I'm sure. We only ever want the best for them, but it's tricky when that way isn't clear. I wish I'd been able to go to blackberry to attempt a bond as I think we'd have been more likely to have had success there. But also I think because my lunar was hiding a physical issue she might have struggled with whoever I tried to put with her.

One of the biggest issues is that I didn't want her to have to cope with a young pig, but, understandably a lot don't rehome 4/5 year olds either.

I did consider getting a 3rd with current pair, but didn't want to destabilize a pair that works and figured I could still end up with a singleton anyway.

Big hugs, they leave a big hole when they go.

Elbie

Visit site
I'm pleased you've got a solution for her, she'll be ok blackberry lady does seem to have a way with them and will have suitable options for her friends wise- because she also does it all the time stress will be minimized I'm sure. We only ever want the best for them, but it's tricky when that way isn't clear. I wish I'd been able to go to blackberry to attempt a bond as I think we'd have been more likely to have had success there. But also I think because my lunar was hiding a physical issue she might have struggled with whoever I tried to put with her.

One of the biggest issues is that I didn't want her to have to cope with a young pig, but, understandably a lot don't rehome 4/5 year olds either.

I did consider getting a 3rd with current pair, but didn't want to destabilize a pair that works and figured I could still end up with a singleton anyway.

Big hugs, they leave a big hole when they go.

its so difficult when animals have formed bonds isn’t it. I’m just hoping she finds a nice older pig to be friends with. But if can’t find a new “room mate” at least there will be other piggies around. She wasn’t tied to the hip of the pig I lost, she would hang out on her own and you would see her out and about but now she just hides in the corner of her cage.

julesjoy

Visit site
More hugs from me. Great that one of them had space for her. She will be in an experienced home with many possible friends for her.