Rein back

Jo C

Visit site
Ok so I stupidly entered a dressage test for the weekend without looking at it 1st and now I find that it includes rein back at C. I practised these in my lesson last night but has anyone got any good tips for this movement please? At the moment they are very hit and miss, he understands the concept of going backwards but likes to throw in some sideways stuff as well. Guess what I am going to be doing all week
grin.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I could turn a blind eye, if it was me. Perhaps if you got them in white.....?

Seriously, aside from ensuring your weight is equal in saddle and reins, i am all out of proper advice
smile.gif
wink.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Ive been slowly introducing some rein back with Archie, and got some great tips from 'Bananaman'! Firstly you need to make sure your halt is very square and your horse is standing 'under' behind (ie no legs left out the back!!) Then you close your hands firmly around the rein, almost stand up in your stirrups so you totally lighten your seat, then put your leg slightly behind the girth and apply slight pressure. Your horse should then move backwards! Keep your hands closed around the rein, but your arms (upper and lower) relaxed, and make sure you keep your seat light at all times.

The lightening of the seat helps the horse to use its whole back, which it needs to in rein-back. As soon as your horse starts to go crocked immediately trot forwards out of the movement.

I also wouldnt advise doing it alot, just once or twice every other day, otherwise your horse will start anticipating it and figiting everytime you go to halt.

Hope all this is helpful x

Jo C

Visit site
Thats very useful PG, I hadn't considered the light seat aspect at all but it certainly makes sense. I will go and give it a try tonight. Thank you.
grin.gif

DressageChick

Visit site
I get a square, attentive halt, close my hands, lighten my seat a little and move my legs clearly back- but I dont apply pressure with the legs.

If you horse always goes crooked to your right (for instance) move your right leg a little further back- until he learns to stay straight.

kick_On

Visit site
have you prastice movement on ground aswell??
also i've just been taught this and they get swicthed on very quickly to movement.
Have you tried doing between two poles to keep straight??
Also we were doing on cirlce and then every quarter of circle stopping then either asking for good halt then rien back one or two strides then stright into trot or for good quality halt the straight in trot, keep them guessing
You'll notice that quailty of rest of trot will improve greatly as hocks have to work really hard to get right
cool.gif

but can razzle their brain if over done
confused.gif

good luck

Tempi

Visit site
honestly it worked wonders! Id been trying to get Archie to do a nice couple of steps of rein back for ages and then when Bananaman said to lighten my seat i tried it that evening, i just really stood up in my stirrups to overdo it, ad he just went back straight and effortlessly!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Keep your hands closed around the rein, but your arms (upper and lower) relaxed, and make sure you keep your seat light at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason in my scan reading, this came out as

"keep your eyes tightly closed at all times" LOL!

grin.gif

Sorry, will stop being quite so silly now.....

Jo C

Visit site
Ok so according to you, I need stabilisers and will need to ride it with my eyes closed
tongue.gif
will I get a 10 if I try this method?
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jo C

Visit site
He can do this from on the ground no problem, but can't seem to catch on under saddle it is always crooked or with his head in the air. The trot improves greatly though. Tried on the circle last night I really think I just have to keep trying, stay very quiet and try the lighten seat method in the hope he catches on soon.

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keep your hands closed around the rein, but your arms (upper and lower) relaxed, and make sure you keep your seat light at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason in my scan reading, this came out as

"keep your eyes tightly closed at all times" LOL!

grin.gif

Sorry, will stop being quite so silly now.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO - i often have my eyes closed when im riding Archie in a test
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Jo C

Visit site
I will definitely be giving this a go tonight then. Well maybe tomorrow as he worked very hard last night so was going to take him for a hack this evening.

Jo C

Visit site
So do you apply no pressure at all but just have your legs there slightly further back than usual, but apply the pressure when they start going crooked ie left leg if he goes to the left?

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So do you apply no pressure at all but just have your legs there slightly further back than usual, but apply the pressure when they start going crooked ie left leg if he goes to the left?

[/ QUOTE ]

With Archie as hes so sensitive to the leg, i dont use my leg to straighten him - i just make sure that i apply the leg pressure evenly, then they shouldnt (technically) go crocked in the first place. However if he does i immediately push him forwards into trot and then do some other movements for a while and come back to it. I never do more than one rein back in a row as they start to predict it.

kick_On

Visit site
i ask by lighten seat and small squeeze on riens, but if you're going wiggly only ask for one good quailty step and build from quality. If you can get someone on ground to help , he'll pick up idea very quickly, plus doing movement between ground poles
Got to remember they do this with opposite pairs so pressure needs to be even.
Before doing this movement i would do a bit of laterial movement first and check that striaght is good going forwards before going back
grin.gif

DressageChick

Visit site
No I just apply then clearly further back, so the horse can make the distinction, I do lighten my seat. And not hey shouldnt go crooked, but sometimes do and if they do start the habit I would correct by using the leg on the side the go crooked towards a little further back. On some horses you may need a slight pressure, but I use the placement of my legs and do not use pressure.

As a judge you see so many people practically pulling their horses backwards or confusing them with lots of leg pressure. I find my way keeps things black and white and has been easier for my horse and those I teach to understand. It does depend on the sensitivity of you horse to the leg tho some may need a little pressure to start, you just have to know your horse and play it by ear.

catembi

Visit site
No practical help...but I'm pretty sure I also entered this test ages ago without reading it & then was similarly dismayed to find a rein back in it...

I might even have had a manic week & only discovered it in the lorry on the way there...

Jo C

Visit site
So you wouldn't try to correct it but would just push forward into trot? Sorry just trying to get my head around this.

Jo C

Visit site
Thank you DressageChick that is very helpful, I find it very interesting how everyone has slightly different methods. Also nice to hear a judges point of view.

Tempi

Visit site
because Archie is quite hot and sensitive i find it better to just push him forwards rather than to fiddle around trying to correct it. However with bloss who is at the oposite end of the scale i would correct it with my legs. It really depends on your horse imo x

Jo C

Visit site
My instructor was on the ground last night helping me but we seem to have a mental block about this one. Thank you for the suggestions - I will get the poles out tomorrow I think.

Jo C

Visit site
Thanks PG that makes sense. Patrick does get wound up if you keep niggling if you know what I mean so I think the push forward into trot method would probably work better with him

kick_On

Visit site
mine is senative and if i over do it, we go backwards (in training sense) instead of get good training
tongue.gif

Just aim for quailty, not quantity imo

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Glad to have been of help PG!
smile.gif

JoC, if he swings his bum sideways I wouldn't use my leg to straighten him as it can result in over correction and then you get the 1/4s swinging all over the place!
Instead, if you feel him about to move from the straight, keep his shoulders in line with his 1/4s.
In other words, if he's about to swing his bum to the right, move BOTH your hands slightly to the right in order to keep him straight.

I do apply pressure, (equal naturally), with both legs as the horse should always be ridden forwards into any movement. In this case ride forwards into a hand that NEVER pulls but just doesn't allow the horse to move forwards.

I only ever use as much/little pressure as is nec. for the horse to react.

As someone else said, aim for calm, quality rather than quantity and build on that.

In training I use a clear voice command to start with. If you use the same vocal command on the ground as you do when on top, the horse has something to recognise.
Obviously when he is becoming confident with the aids you wean him off the voice.

Jo C

Visit site
Thank you Bananaman, now that makes perfect sense as once we go crooked it's all lost, so it would seem I am maybe overcompensating, I will definitely try to keep the shoulders in line instead. Thank you. Oh I will also be pming you soon as I think *fingers crossed* we have sorted all our back/saddle problems.
grin.gif