Relaquine - is my vet ripping me off (again, lol)

twiggy2

Visit site
I think the 6 month check is a legal thing though yes should be consistent wherever you are getting it from.

And they definitely don't have the buying power of the big internet sites, who are often cheaper than the price they get it in at.

It's an RVC guideline which vets of course like to follow but it is not a legal requirement.

windand rain

Visit site
French vets seem to charge a lot less my sister lives in France she paid 40 euro to have her cats mouth done clean its teeth and a night in hospital after its treatment her daughter paid just under £500 for the same in London.
I couldnt believe the bill for one xray and three stitches in my dogs paw after the horse trod on her with dressings which I could have done my self the bill came to £658 fortunately she was insured

windand rain

Visit site
The most she ever paid for him was 60 euro when he had to have a couple of nights in hospital and a surgery to repair damage to his back leg after being mauled by a bird of prey or fox

_HP_

Visit site
They are around £1.04 online! Mine works out around £6 difference for a whole box after I’ve paid the £16 prescription charge so I’ve stuck with the vet for convenience.

At that price you’d definitely save if you got a 6 monthly prescription. You can still have it monthly, the online pharmacy store your prescription and you can buy it in smaller amounts for 6 months.

Yes...I asked about a prescription and mentioned getting it t online and the receptionist gave me a knowing look so that's what I'll be doing from now on. She said a prescription would be around £16 so definitely worth doing

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Most online pharmacies now ask you to send the original so that doesn’t happen. Mine specifically states on the bottom that copies or scanned images aren’t valid only the original.

None of the ones I use have asked for the original though they say on the website there are certain controlled drugs where they need originals.

I think something is supposed to be communicated or sent back to the issuing vets so they know it has been used and isn't used twice so it should be picked up albeit after the fact I don't remember the exact procedure but I spoke to my vets about it when I had a issue with a company. I ordered bute and they put the wrong address on and wasn't delivered. They wanted to wait several weeks or see if the parcel was sent back to them. I cancelled the order and went elsewhere. So nothing stopped me from using it twice though hopefully it would have caught up with me if I hadn't cancelled order 1.

Northern Hare

Visit site
My horse has Prascend for his cushings and at 27 now has a daily sachet of Danilon.

The equine vets practice we use is excellent and has an elderly horse scheme. It costs £160 per year, and that includes 2 x full workups per year, including visit charges, one teeth check with sedation, 2 x full blood tests incl cushings, lameness checks, and the worm count and wormer package for the year. It also includes 10% off drugs which makes Prascend around £180 for 160 tablets.

The yard we're at is quite big and also has a zone day one day per month with the same vets practice so you can book an appointment with no visit charges.

For Danilon, I was buying it online - the prescription charge was £20 for up to two boxes of 60. However I mentioned it to my vet who said that if I bought two boxes at a time they'd match the online price plus the prescription charge, which I'm very happy with.

Btw, when I was buying Danilon online, I checked with the vet as I bought the first box from one supplier online and the second from a different supplier. I asked the vets if that would be a problem and was told that they don't receive any communications from the online sellers to check the authenticity of the prescriptions. That was 2018.

Landcruiser

Visit site
None of the ones I use have asked for the original though they say on the website there are certain controlled drugs where they need originals.

I think something is supposed to be communicated or sent back to the issuing vets so they know it has been used and isn't used twice so it should be picked up albeit after the fact I don't remember the exact procedure but I spoke to my vets about it when I had a issue with a company. I ordered bute and they put the wrong address on and wasn't delivered. They wanted to wait several weeks or see if the parcel was sent back to them. I cancelled the order and went elsewhere. So nothing stopped me from using it twice though hopefully it would have caught up with me if I hadn't cancelled order 1.
I work at a vet. Nothing comes back to us from the drug companies as to whether the prescription has been used or not.