Relocating - Wirral

lucky7

Visit site
Tried this on the regional boards but no answers yet as not as busy as this page!
Possibly looking at relocating back to the wirral. It's been 10 years since I left and about 18 years since I had a horse there!!
Looking for a nice yard. Must have decent stables, winter turn out, part livery, menage and suitable hacking (not too much road work)
Bonus would be any of the following!
*a venue that runs BD and competitions
*indoor school
*xc course
* not far to hack to the beach!!
I have one horse i want to move (the other wohld go to my mums) and looking to pay max 60 per week for part livery, even if it's just turn out or bring in most days.
Thanks!
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...on-for-the-wirral-please!#bP7uFCIbtLfr7iPa.99

ossy

Visit site
We're not on the Wirral but that part of the country and part livery at our yard is £85 per week, we're not a comp venue but do have outdoor and indoor and all year turnout. I think for what you are wanting and in that budget you ideally want assisted DIY yards and/or DIY yards that have capacity to do services.

NikNak1

Visit site
I think foxes is the only place actually on the Wirral that runs BD comps. Greasby has quite a few shows and unaffiliated dressage in the summer with a v nice school. Hacking is prob not great though (though I've never been stabled on the yard so it might be better than I think!) A yard in Puddington has a farm ride with cross country jumps, don't know about other facilities though.
Backwood in Parkgate is prob your best bet as has lovely outdoor, a small indoor, good hacking and they used to have cross country jumps (don't know whether they are accessible any more). Grazing is limited in the winter though but so is a lot of places.
A lot of nice yards are £40 diy (Inc Backwood I think) so proper part livery would prob be more than £60 though assisted diy may be within the budget more.
Hope that helps!

scats

Visit site
I think foxes is the only place actually on the Wirral that runs BD comps. Greasby has quite a few shows and unaffiliated dressage in the summer with a v nice school. Hacking is prob not great though (though I've never been stabled on the yard so it might be better than I think!) A yard in Puddington has a farm ride with cross country jumps, don't know about other facilities though.
Backwood in Parkgate is prob your best bet as has lovely outdoor, a small indoor, good hacking and they used to have cross country jumps (don't know whether they are accessible any more). Grazing is limited in the winter though but so is a lot of places.
A lot of nice yards are £40 diy (Inc Backwood I think) so proper part livery would prob be more than £60 though assisted diy may be within the budget more.
Hope that helps!

I'm pretty sure Backwood is full livery only now.

hottoddy

Visit site
I am at Backwood, there is no longer any DIY there, I run what was the DIY yard as rehabilitation livery now.
There is full and part livery, but part is £90. We have an indoor and 2 outdoor schools, horse walker, farm ride with jumps that has recently been extended, all year round turn out and direct access to the Wirral Way for hacking to the beach

Horsesarelife

New User
Visit site
When I had my horse on livery on the Wirral we were at Kelly Ward's yard (working hunter producer) in Thornton Hough. Not sure how much it would be now but it was reasonable at the time for the facilities.
Indoor and outdoor school, horse walker, all year turnout, very flexible livery so will turn out/bring in/feed/full livery and you know it will all be done properly. Hacking was good and some off road. Busy yard with lots going on. If I was in the area again I would absolutely move back to her yard.

lucky7

Visit site
Thank you these are all very helpful.
I have been looking at Dee farm too - heswall, thurstatson, caldy and frankby are the areas i am looking into :)

NikNak1

Visit site
Wow! Had not heard backwood only full livery now!

Dee farm is nice, think it is also mainly full livery now with a few diy but I may be wrong. School there is lovely, hacking good and v close to the beach! They even have a horsewalker! Helen is lovely and a v popular instructor. Only downsides are that the grazing is not brilliant and I think all horses are in at night all year round. Unless they have been done up since I was last there (which is a while) some of the stables are not v big.
In Thurstaston church farm is nice with a nice school. Horses have individual turnout which has pros and cons! I think it can get busy in the summer with kids visiting the farm so not great for a stressy horse.
Thurstaston Hall Farm has great hacking and turnout but a not great school and run down stables.
Yew tree in Irby has lovely stables a fab school and pretty good hacking. Fields are pretty good but restricted in the winter to 4 hrs.
In newton there is also China plate farm which has a nice school, ok hacking and don't know about the fields. I have seen they were advertising space at the moment (£45 per week diy which includes hay & straw which seemed pretty good)
Hope that helps!