Relocation... Southern England to Aberdeenshire

KJJ

Visit site
Hello All,

Just looking for a bit of advice and pointing in the right direction regards clubs/groups etc!

We will be moving from Southern England to to Aberdeenshire (AB33 area) in a couple of months and I was hoping for some recommendations if people have any :)

Farrier
Dentist
Saddlers
Vets
Riding Clubs
Instructors
Feed Stores
Bedding Suppliers
Any online groups

It's a daunting prospect moving 600miles and not having a clue where to start for the above - the internet is a great start but a big place and often not the most reliable sources so recommendations/experiences and any advice greatly received!

gallopingby

Visit site
Norvite and Harbro are the big farm / equestrian stores for feed and bedding although there are smaller suppliers. Riding clubs etc will depend whether you’re more dressage or jumping / eventing based. Lots going on up there but beware freight charges if you’re having stuff delivered. May be more cost effective to order before the move and take up with you.

Cloball

Visit site
Not been in Aberdeen for about 9 years but the Cabin equestrian in Inverurie always used to have lots of events on

HeyMich

Visit site
Bogenraith Equestrian is a new venue in Durris/Banchory (AB31) with fantastic new facilities. They have competitions and good visiting instructors - Wills Oakden, Daniel Scott to name a few. Definitely worth looking them up. I wish we lived closer!

spookypony

Visit site
What discipline(s) do you do? Are your horses shod or barefoot? Aberdeenshire is one of the horsiest areas of the UK, and comparatively cheap to keep horses, so I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised! Norvite is the biggest feed and tack shop, with two venues, and probably the most convenient to the Alford area, but there are others as well. E.g. Loanhead (near Balmedie) is very well stocked, but not so convenient to you. Ardene House is the closest equine hospital to you, but there are equine practices that are even closer.

Sara Shirvani

New User
Visit site
I work for Danby Equestrian as an apprentice but used Jocelyn as an instructor and my saddle fitter since a toddler. I'd reccommend (maybe biased 😅) for saddle fitting and any saddlery/bridle repairs or needs. Clinics are run monthly from Ladyleys or Hogholm but we do offer privates when there's space, so always worht asking.
There are a few dodgey & unqulified "fitters" in or that visit the Aberdeen area so check qualifications of anyone you're looking at (there are also a couple other qualified and good fitters too).
RC's woudl depend on you personal preferences.
Bedding depends what you use but straw is plentiful & easy to source, there are a couple straw (Ugie valley) and wood (Puffin) pellet producers so may work out cheaper then elsewere due to haulage if you buy in bulk.
Vets - Ardene house is good for horses with a clinic, but most practices will offer a horse/large animal option. I'd always use a vet for teeth personally.
There are plenty good instructors availability will depend on you location and, discipline and i alwasy find theres some trial and errot to find someone to suit.
NAs above norvite & harbro are the big feed/equine supplies guys and both offer their own lines of feed, there are smaller stores which may be closer to you and i never found much of a price difference when living in the area.
Farriers were the most difficult to find when i was in the area and the one i used retired just after i left so afraid no help there.

Good luck on the move, I'm sure it will be grand, Aberdeenshire is by far the best area in N Scotland to keep horses with a large horsey community.

KJJ

Visit site
Thanks all, thats been really helpful and some food for thought!

In terms of disciplines/RC actually I'd just be mainly a happy hacker with some very low level dressage... so not my main concern but just nice to have support :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Not been in Aberdeen for about 9 years but the Cabin equestrian in Inverurie always used to have lots of events on
Sadly Cabin has dialled massively back on their competitions at the moment. Just the occasional thing there now organised by outwith organisers. Brilliant place so hope it will get a new lease of life and carry on.

Bogenraith, Tillyoch and Ladyleys are the main venues for events at the moment, both on the outskirts of Aberdeen City. You're only 25 mins away from me so happy to answer questions. Norvite is near Insch, it has lots of feed and only around 20 mins from Alford. Harbro in Huntly has feed too. Plenty RC's around, Ythan RC hold regular training at Cabin and Ladyleys as well as fun rides etc. I think there's Deeside Riding Club over your way but I dont know much about them to be honest. Findon RC are based on outskirts of Aberdeen. Theres a nice little XC training course near Alford at Mosswood in case you were into that. Otherwise, Ardmedden at Oldmeldrum is a brilliant venue offering training, a XC course and a farm ride. They've held a couple of XC competitions so far so hopefully more to come.

Vet-wise, I have always used Dunnydeer Vet in Insch, Aileen and Anna are great with horses.

mossycup

Visit site
It's a great area to live in - you will love it. Hope this is helpful

Farrier - Dan Miller, Ian Christie and Cliff Barnes cover your area - possibly Wendy Rae too but think she is full
Dentist - Alice Hughes is excellent
Saddlers - we have Danby Equestrian, Victoria Flynn and Gammacks Saddlery all up regularly
Vets - Ardene House, Donside, Dunnydeer, Meadows, Dukes
Instructors - there are lots of local coaches and visiting coaches, including the likes of Wills Oakden and Abi Lyle. You will soon find one to suit
Feed Stores - Norvite, Harbro, Loanhead
Any online groups - Horsey Stuff in Aberdeenshire, Horsey Chat and Stuff in Aberdeenshire, Aberdeenshire Equine Grapevine. There is also an Aberdeenshire livery yard group to look for yards - worth getting on the waitlist for a few now.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We moved from the Midlands to Fife five years ago (gosh, that's a while!) and set up a retirement livery. You'll love it up here. The people are helpful and friendly. The countryside and beaches are lovely. D1 lives in Aberdeen and I can't see her ever leaving as it offers all she wants and needs. We pootle up for a hello and really like it.