Remedy needed for splint

torzay

Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a yearling who is suffering with a splint, he is not in pain with it but it is noticeable and I was hoping to show him next year....I am cold hosing and resting him, does anyone have any ideas about how I can treat this splint to make the lump go smaller....perhaps ointments, creams, remedies? Any advice would be great !

torzay

Visit site
Havent spoken to the vet, there are horses on the same yard as me with splints and their owners have told me not to worry about it....do you think a vet should be consulted?

Tia

Visit site
One of mine has just developed a splint. He is lame with it. I did put liniment on it, sorry would never consider blistering. I don't know if the liniment did any good though so have stopped using it.

My plan is just to let the splint form properly and wait to see him come sound again, but then my horse is not for showing purposes so a splint doesn't bother me in the slightest.

sherwood'

Visit site
splintex gold- check out toher posts - seriously good. my lightweight hunter developed one as a 4 yr old and is compeltely away now!

CJ1

Visit site
call me silly but how does blistering the skin help the splint. I assumed the bump was on the bone/ligament and not the skin?

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I would leave well alone, as babies there is a lot of bone remodelling and you should hopefully find that the splint is reabsorbed.
I tried splintex silver on mine and found it made no real difference.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Splintex Silver if its new (gold if it older than so many months). Ive been using the Gold on my horses massive one, working a treat! It definately looks much smaller! I bought my bottle from the USA Ebay, much cheaper than buying it here.

TGM

Visit site
My mare developed a splint when she was 4 years old - not lameness causing at all. She was in very light work at the time, but I rested her anyway. Only treatment I used was to rub in arnica gel. I would say it stayed the same size for about 6 - 9 months but now it is totally invisible.

4whitesocks

Visit site
My 5yo developed a splint over the summer - not huge but quite noticeable....have consdiered splintex gold but tonight when grooming (decided too miserable to ride so poor boy ended up having all his bits trimmed & tidied, mane pulled & everything) I noticed it has gone down in size quite a lot in the last 3 weeks.....

Dunno that I would do anything for at least 2 - 3 months and then see how it is

Zebedee

Visit site
My three year old filly developed a splint the size of a small egg after joining in with a mass breakout from the field!. We have used splintex silver & I am delighted with the results, although I am aware that some people on here have been disapointed with it. I have found it far more effective than DMSO, and certainly not as lethal to handle! As your filly is so young there is a strong chance that the splint will be re-absorbed & disapear on its own, but in the meantime I don't think you'll do any harm using the splintex silver.

torzay

Visit site
Thanks everyone for great advice, much appreciated
smile.gif

Jose

Visit site
My mare threw a few splints as a 3 year old, vet prescribed some DMSO ointment which was painted on twice daily...also put her on cortaflex. All but one of the splints have reabsorbed since and the remaining one reduced in size a great deal.