Remenbrance Sunday - ashamed to be a rider

Dovorian

Visit site
I attended a village service today, saddened to report that a young lady rider who was passing decided to have a vociferous tussle with her mount during the silence. It would have been easier, and more appropriate, to take another route or wait.

Sorry your horse did not enjoy the last post but if not for those who gave their lives, would you still be able to ride around and disrespect those who really care?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Are you sure they were aware the service was happening? It hadn't occured to me until my hacking buddy cancelled on me to go this morning.

Dovorian

Visit site
Without doubt - the rider approached from some distance on a clear view. I admit that I have had occasion to use choice words when hacking, but NOT within 10 yards of a gathering such as this! Just flaming rude imho.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Within 10 yards? I presume it was an outdoor service? In which case, there's no excuse. I had invisaged you in a church and some girl having problems outside unaware of you. Yes that's hardly appropriate behaviour :(

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I made sure I rode before 11am as I stood silence in my stable along with other livery to pay our respects to those fallen past and present.

The rider could've I guess hopped off and stood quitely its only 2mins or choosen another route

Ibblebibble

Visit site
she may have been highly embarressed that her horse misbehaved at that unfortunate moment and her actions stemmed from that rather than from any disrespect. :confused: And just because she didn't observe 2 minutes silence today doesn't mean she didn't show her respect at 11am on Friday, :)

ladyt25

Visit site
she may have been highly embarressed that her horse misbehaved at that unfortunate moment and her actions stemmed from that rather than from any disrespect. :confused: And just because she didn't observe 2 minutes silence today doesn't mean she didn't show her respect at 11am on Friday, :)

I agree with you here - we had a 2 minute silence on friday but in all honesty it didn't occur to me today. I am sure she didn't intend to offend anyone and maybe just didn't think but it doesn't mean she didn't show respect on friday.

rachel_s

Visit site
Possibly the language stemmed from the embarrassment of her horse misbehaving at precisely the wrong time...

As for the two minute silence, we did it at work ... at the wrong time...we were discussing something and didn't realise the time. Ironically, the director in the room was ex RAF.

Personally, I feel comemoration should be personal - this year, it seems have become very forced and obvious which dimishes the point of it. People died so we have freedom and that includes the freedom to ride swearing at a horse who is misbehaving - it wasn't as though they were swearing at the service.

I have no issue with people who don't openly comemorate it as I think you never know what someone is actually thinking and I believe in freedom - even when I don't necessarily agree with it.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Unfortunately so many people have respect for what went before.

I was working this morning and had the radio on. As Big Ben was striking 11 so some people arrived to collect a horse. I was stood with my head down and they just stood alongside me also in silence until the 2 minutes was complete.

Two minutes to give each year even if one lives to be 80 only adds up to 160 minutes - under 3 hours in a lifetime - nothing compared to what was given by so many.

MrsElle

Visit site
I do feel that as the rider could see the service she should have been a little more understanding and behaved in a more appropriate manner.

However, if people are in their own homes/cars/places of work I don't have a problem with them missing the 11am two minutes silence. You can remember at any time. In public places, where the silence is being observed, then it should definately be upheld by all.

I once had a right go at a woman in Asda one Remembrance Day as she was chatting on her phone while the store stood in silence. Made a bit of a fool of myself, truth be told, but it was only a couple of months after my son was injured in Afghanistan and four of his friends killed during that tour. Things were a little raw.

Sunshine

Visit site
Since my little girl was on LR we have boxed up her pony and taken them to watch and participate in the cenotaph service. It was her request first time because she had heard about the horses that had been lost in the wars. Both she and her pony knew to stay still and quiet (at the edge of the crowd) for the 2 min silence. We just couldn't march with to the cenotaph with the veterans and band. Though I suppose we are lucky that our church was understanding and allowed it.

M_G

Visit site
2 minute silence today at showjumping all horses and riders stood quietly for it & we stopped half way through putting the fences up. Tbh I hadnt even thought about today however i did remember on Friday

zoelouisem

Visit site
:mad:I rude my 7 year old daughter asked me to remind her as she was riding and she got off her pony mid ride and stood there.

Very close to home for us her dad is ex army and he got injured in 2007 along with alot of other injured friends and also quite a few of his friends died.

Even if she had ridden past quietly. In all honestly i would have either stopped and stood still or turned her round. If whole shopping centres can go silent im sure one girl on her horse could have done 2 minutes isnt long its not like its 2 hours!!!!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Nobody should be making excuses for her, its disgusting behaviour! Even if she did do her 2 min silence at another time, she should still respect others! Since when was it OK to be foul mouthed anyway in public? This country is going to ruin with wishy washy people!

Dancing Queen

Visit site

Indeed - Why do we need just 1 day to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. The fallen should (in my mind) be remembered and thanked everyday. xx

I agree perhaps she should have had more foresight and delayed her hack out.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have no problem with anyone not choosing to observe any tradition, service etc which they do not agree with, do not follow etc. However it is very rude to interupt other people while they are observing same. To interupt a service is rude, to speak on the phone in a supermarket is not IMO. The gathering at a war memorial was obviously attended by people with strong beliefs and I do not feel that she should have interupted this. I do feel very sorry for the woman in the supermarket, who had gone shopping, as presumably had the other people present. If you are determined that the two minute silence should not be disturbed in your presence, then be somewhere where you can guarnatee like minded people, or in your own home, not in a place of commerce.